Solved

Can't connect to internet through switch, but works okay directly through modem

I just got a cable modem/router to replace my old DSL. I have a Motorola Surfboard extreme SBG6782-AC modem and Trendnet TEG-S16Dg switch. When I connect my computer directly to the modem it works, but does not when I connect through the switch. It is about 75-100 feet away. The LED on the switch does not light up when I plug in the computer but does for some other connections (WDTV). It is a Gigabit switch, and not sure if my laptop connection is. Any ideas? I am not that technically adept, but willing to learn as I go.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about connect internet switch works directly modem
  1. The dark LED indicates an electrical problem. Either the cable is bad or there is a problem with the plugs.
  2. noidea_77 said:
    The dark LED indicates an electrical problem. Either the cable is bad or there is a problem with the plugs.


    Sorry I did not mention before. When I plug it into the switch it flashes and then goes dark. Using the exact same cable and connector plugged into router it works fine. All the equipment is brand new, though I know that does not necessarily mean it is all working
  3. CHRISSLO said:
    noidea_77 said:
    The dark LED indicates an electrical problem. Either the cable is bad or there is a problem with the plugs.


    Sorry I did not mention before. When I plug it into the switch it flashes and then goes dark. Using the exact same cable and connector plugged into router it works fine. All the equipment is brand new, though I know that does not necessarily mean it is all working

    Any hints in the switch manual? It may indicate, that the port switches to power save mode for some reason.
  4. There did not seem to be a manual other than a quick start guide of about half a page. It is a "green" model though and I suppose there could be something in that. I will see what else is available from Trendnet. I looked over it somewhat but did not find an answer. Can't hurt to recheck
  5. Best answer
    CHRISSLO said:
    There did not seem to be a manual other than a quick start guide of about half a page. It is a "green" model though and I suppose there could be something in that. I will see what else is available from Trendnet. I looked over it somewhat but did not find an answer. Can't hurt to recheck

    And another chance: connect the computer directly to the modem and check, if it is a gigabit connection or if it falls back to 100Mbit. I still think, it is an electrical problem and not all of the eight lanes of the RJ45 are connected.
Ask a new question

Read More

Switch Modem Networking Connection