Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

random system freeze and lockup no error

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
November 16, 2013 3:20:09 PM

i recently built my own comp upgrading as i could do to money so far i have a asus m5a97 le r2.0 mb a amd 8350 cpu with cooler master 212 evo 4.2 no turbo corsair 1050 semi modular psu and radeon r9 290x gpu with 16 gb mushkin ram...... question my system will have random freezes while doing random things sometimes netflix sometimes twitch tv watching sometimes playing games i know its not the gpu cause i just changed it from 7870 and it did same thing could the fact my psu is ran in a house that still has old 60 amp service with screw in breakers be the prob and if not what else i need also it is all hooked to a playstation 3d tv as monitor with sound ran thru hdmi

More about : random system freeze lockup error

Best solution

November 16, 2013 3:46:39 PM

The first thing I would check is event viewer (Windows Key + R and type eventvwr). See if there are any errors that correspond with your times of freezing.
Did you re-install your OS after your upgrades? I'd hope so especially after replacing the mobo and CPU.
Try un-installing the graphics drivers (I think AMD even has a cleanup utility for that), rebooting the pc, and re-installing the drivers

Check the hard drive, by running a check disk, to see if any errors are present too

If you think its your power outlet, then that can cause some damager to your PC, use a volt meter on the outlet and see what happens under load, when the PC is pulling maximum power. Programs like Prime95 can stress the CPU while Furmark stresses the GPU
Share
November 16, 2013 4:01:24 PM

What is the DRAM - Mushkin 16GB we know- 2x8GB or 4x4GB, what freq and voltage - did it all come in a single package?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 16, 2013 4:41:42 PM

pupupuputter said:
i recently built my own comp upgrading as i could do to money so far i have a asus m5a97 le r2.0 mb a amd 8350 cpu with cooler master 212 evo 4.2 no turbo corsair 1050 semi modular psu and radeon r9 290x gpu with 16 gb mushkin ram...... question my system will have random freezes while doing random things sometimes netflix sometimes twitch tv watching sometimes playing games i know its not the gpu cause i just changed it from 7870 and it did same thing could the fact my psu is ran in a house that still has old 60 amp service with screw in breakers be the prob and if not what else i need also it is all hooked to a playstation 3d tv as monitor with sound ran thru hdmi


Tradesman1 said:
What is the DRAM - Mushkin 16GB we know- 2x8GB or 4x4GB, what freq and voltage - did it all come in a single package?


it came in two seperate packages both ordered same time same order its 4x4gb
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 4:43:10 PM

arges86 said:
The first thing I would check is event viewer (Windows Key + R and type eventvwr). See if there are any errors that correspond with your times of freezing.
Did you re-install your OS after your upgrades? I'd hope so especially after replacing the mobo and CPU.
Try un-installing the graphics drivers (I think AMD even has a cleanup utility for that), rebooting the pc, and re-installing the drivers

Check the hard drive, by running a check disk, to see if any errors are present too

If you think its your power outlet, then that can cause some damager to your PC, use a volt meter on the outlet and see what happens under load, when the PC is pulling maximum power. Programs like Prime95 can stress the CPU while Furmark stresses the GPU


all was fresh install cpu mobo and all at same time but i did not do a driver remove of the amd and fresh install i will try that
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 4:54:24 PM

to all helping i did a physx install of the driver cause some of my games use physx i did normal install and the legacy install it seems to have helped takes a lot longer but still after a while no activity on twitch and a commercial popped up for stream it done again so maybe a driver issue with physx over a amd system
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 4:58:45 PM

Have a feeling it's the DRAM, never a good idea to mix sticks, even of the same exact model, it can be problematic as the sticks weren;'t tested to work together (which is why a 4 stick package costs more than a pair of 2 stick packages), anyway - Set the DRAM freq, set the base timings, then raise the DRAM voltage + 0.06 over spec, and set CPU/NB voltage to 1.22 and give that a try
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 5:20:56 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Have a feeling it's the DRAM, never a good idea to mix sticks, even of the same exact model, it can be problematic as the sticks weren;'t tested to work together (which is why a 4 stick package costs more than a pair of 2 stick packages), anyway - Set the DRAM freq, set the base timings, then raise the DRAM voltage + 0.06 over spec, and set CPU/NB voltage to 1.22 and give that a try


will try thanks for the info let you know soon if it helps... another note i got 2 packs seperate because it was part of bundle deal that only had 2 so i added another 2 so i would have 8 gb ram on each channel but i will get 4 pack next time
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 5:24:29 PM

If you do suspect the memory then memtest86 @ http://www.memtest.org/ should reveal the flaw. Start removing one stick at a time until the issue goes away.
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 6:22:05 PM

Let me know what it does
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 6:31:25 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Let me know what it does


ok so far so good my initial cpu was only at 1.12 voltage and ram was 1.5 did you want me to make it 1.56 like i did or 1.6 but it seems to be running stable been watching xcom on twitch and no stuter or anything if prob persists i will do the memtest that arges86 recommends next then if all else i will do complete reinstall of system....... voltage changes have stabilized so far and i noticed my mobo on has a four prong for cpu power my psu has option for 8 could my mobo not be giving enough power to cpu since it is a 125 watt maybe mobo not sufficient for the cpu anyway will keep posted
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 6:44:26 PM

1.56 is what we were shooting at, as I mentioned I think it's the DRAM and needs to be stabilized and we may have it ;)  If you get any additional problems, next we would want to raise the CPU/NB voltage 9 that's the voltage for the MC (memory controller))...Memtest test will take a long time, suggest if you run it, just let it go through 4 maybe 5 passes...or simply do what you do with the rig, if it BSODs we'll adjust the CPU/NB
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 7:06:06 PM

Tradesman1 said:
1.56 is what we were shooting at, as I mentioned I think it's the DRAM and needs to be stabilized and we may have it ;)  If you get any additional problems, next we would want to raise the CPU/NB voltage 9 that's the voltage for the MC (memory controller))...Memtest test will take a long time, suggest if you run it, just let it go through 4 maybe 5 passes...or simply do what you do with the rig, if it BSODs we'll adjust the CPU/NB


and to specify my ram is the mushkin enhanced silverline model not the base model if that changes anything far as stability seems like it is fixed but i will runn thru diff games and things to make sure it dont reappear will reply sometime tomorrow to update


m
0
l
November 16, 2013 7:27:47 PM

Will be looking for you ;) 
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 10:46:46 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Will be looking for you ;) 


ok sorry for late response ive been working and feeling ill but the freezes seems to be gone but my screen will go black for sec then back on but read that could be possible issue using the sony playstation tv as monitor and when u say 9 you mean 1.59 right
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 10:50:43 PM

;)  Sorry the 9 came from an errant finger, it was a type, have a feeling the black is from the PS TV, but might want to raise the CPU/NB voltage + 0.05 for now (won't hurt anything and will help stabilize)
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 11:23:06 PM

Tradesman1 said:
;) Sorry the 9 came from an errant finger, it was a type, have a feeling the black is from the PS TV, but might want to raise the CPU/NB voltage + 0.05 for now (won't hurt anything and will help stabilize)


ok so 1.27
total and I have new benq gaming monitor on way so I will see if its tv soon
m
0
l
November 18, 2013 9:15:06 AM

if at 1.22 now, then yes, try 1.27 (some need even much higher, but don't want to jump in large increments)
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 2:02:47 AM

Tradesman1 said:
if at 1.22 now, then yes, try 1.27 (some need even much higher, but don't want to jump in large increments)


went 1.27 only blacked once during playing prime world but until I get my new monitor wont know if its the playsation tv or not
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 7:11:22 AM

Drop us an update when you get it ;) 
m
0
l
November 27, 2013 3:00:57 PM

ok heres update new monitor stopped the black screen but just got a WHEA_UNCONTROLLABLE_ERROR i dunno what that means but think if nothing else will have to completely reinstall windows
m
0
l
November 27, 2013 4:26:10 PM

That's often from a driver problem, make sure you have the latest BIOS, mobo and GPU drivers also check and see if the monitor has a driver
m
0
l
!