Will FX-6300 Bottleneck R9 280X Toxic?

Solution
This "Anonymous" character is great at guessing but not great at guessing correctly. The FX-6300 will not bottleneck the R9-280X in any manner that you will be able to detect. Bottlenecking is the new Boogeyman. It's funny how we never used to worry about it before but now it's as overused a word as terrorism. In the strictest sense, bottlenecking occurs with ALL CPUs when using top-end cards. In the real sense, bottlenecking means that the CPU will drag your video card down into unplayable frame rates. The FX-6300 will not do that to any GPU. Hell, I run an FX-8350 and I have two of those cards crossfired. No bottleneck here. You're fine and remember, bottleneck and boogeyman have something in common. They're both greatly...

Spartan191

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Anonymous is incorrect. It's only slightly bottlenecking. So little that it won't be noticeable. It's six core right? Recommended CPU to go with it is a quad i5 that clocks at 3.4 so I'd say your more than safe man.

G

yes, slight bottlenecking, but still bottlenecking

This "Anonymous" character is great at guessing but not great at guessing correctly. The FX-6300 will not bottleneck the R9-280X in any manner that you will be able to detect. Bottlenecking is the new Boogeyman. It's funny how we never used to worry about it before but now it's as overused a word as terrorism. In the strictest sense, bottlenecking occurs with ALL CPUs when using top-end cards. In the real sense, bottlenecking means that the CPU will drag your video card down into unplayable frame rates. The FX-6300 will not do that to any GPU. Hell, I run an FX-8350 and I have two of those cards crossfired. No bottleneck here. You're fine and remember, bottleneck and boogeyman have something in common. They're both greatly exaggerated.

Remember, if someone is posting as "Anonymous" it means that they don't even know how to get a tomshardware account or are too lazy to create one. Always take that into account.

Solution

DJready

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah but you will never get 4.1Ghz turbo, it is max possible boost usually your turbo will be around 3.8Ghz. You will get better performance overclocking it by yours self to 4.1Ghz than having a turbo on, becuase turbo is being used only on the cores thats needed and it needs to be ramped up durning certain moments in games which can lead to low frame drops