Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Radeon 7870 vs Radeon 7950 on a 1600x900 Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 17, 2013 6:11:28 AM

Hi, I'm new here, I was wondering if the Radeon 7870 could handle all the latest games maxed out on my monitor? (max res 1600x900) if so, how long would it last me without having to turn anything down/off? last question, I could go for the 7870 or the 7950. which card is the best for my monitor?
I'm open to other AMD & nvidia cards. thanks!
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2013 6:32:27 AM

always go for the best card you can. at 1600x900 either would probably max most games, but what if your monitor dies in a month and there is a great deal on a 1080p monitor and that's all you can really buy nowadays anyways. Then you're in a whole new ball game and the faster card will come in handy.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2013 6:36:06 AM

Hd 7870 can handle games almost all maxed out, but in games likes crysis 3 you will have to turn a bit down/off. In my opinion, hd 7950 should be able to play almost all games at ultra at 1600x900 res. So go for hd 7950 as it is better and also not that overpriced. Hd 7950 is even better than amd's next gen gpu r9 270x, So hd 7950 is the best in it's price range and you should go for it.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 17, 2013 6:48:51 AM

I'm still using 1440x900 monitor with 5850 since 2009.
The second strongest card in 2009 in amd line. And almost all of my friends told me that card is too powerfull for my resolution, and suggest me to get 5770.

After 4 years, my 5850 still can max out almost any game available..and no cards can tempting me to remove this card from my pcie socket..:D 
And my friends who is using 5770, is have to lower their setting until low quality to play heavy games in acceptable frames rate..

Moral of the story :
Get the strongest card that you can afford..
It'll give your system longer breath before next upgrade..
:D 

so, like other answer, get 7950..
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 7:11:25 AM

getochkn said:
always go for the best card you can. at 1600x900 either would probably max most games, but what if your monitor dies in a month and there is a great deal on a 1080p monitor and that's all you can really buy nowadays anyways. Then you're in a whole new ball game and the faster card will come in handy.


St0rm_KILL3r said:
Hd 7870 can handle games almost all maxed out, but in games likes crysis 3 you will have to turn a bit down/off. In my opinion, hd 7950 should be able to play almost all games at ultra at 1600x900 res. So go for hd 7950 as it is better and also not that overpriced. Hd 7950 is even better than amd's next gen gpu r9 270x, So hd 7950 is the best in it's price range and you should go for it.


the 7950 is in the range of $300-$360 while the 7870 is $185-$285 on eBay (world wide shipping) So I should go for 7950 for long term and the 7870 if I want best bang for the buck?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2013 7:32:57 AM

^^ Yup. I got the 7870 for 1080p gaming, couldn't afford higher. It's a decent card. I can do BF3 at ultra, and probably BF4 on high. With your res, it would do way better. I wouldn't go any lower than a 7870 for todays gaming though.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
November 17, 2013 8:06:46 AM

ahmyday said:
getochkn said:
always go for the best card you can. at 1600x900 either would probably max most games, but what if your monitor dies in a month and there is a great deal on a 1080p monitor and that's all you can really buy nowadays anyways. Then you're in a whole new ball game and the faster card will come in handy.


St0rm_KILL3r said:
Hd 7870 can handle games almost all maxed out, but in games likes crysis 3 you will have to turn a bit down/off. In my opinion, hd 7950 should be able to play almost all games at ultra at 1600x900 res. So go for hd 7950 as it is better and also not that overpriced. Hd 7950 is even better than amd's next gen gpu r9 270x, So hd 7950 is the best in it's price range and you should go for it.


the 7950 is in the range of $300-$360 while the 7870 is $185-$285 on eBay (world wide shipping) So I should go for 7950 for long term and the 7870 if I want best bang for the buck?


Man! if your budget is more than $299 then surely buy the Amd's R9 280x gpu. It's even better than hd 7970 and gtx 770. If you would have told me your budget then I would have already recommended you to buy r9 280x over any other gpu less than $360. So here's my new opinion, Get the r9 280x over hd 7870 and 7950 as it is even better bang for the buck and currently known as the best bang for the buck. You could even get the r9 270/270x which is still better and cheaper ( costs around $200 and is a rebrand of hd 7870) than 7870 and performs near to hd 7950. But once again, If your budget is under $360, Get the r9 280x over any other gpu.
Share
November 17, 2013 8:56:15 AM

So the R9 280x it is, thank you for all the answers. really helpful!
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2013 9:14:28 AM

ahmyday said:
So the R9 280x it is, thank you for all the answers. really helpful!


You are welcome, message me if you want any help. And feel free to ask about anything on this website. And Welcome to Tom'shardware!
m
0
l
!