Solved

First build, need help picking parts and stuff

Hello,
I would like to build a PC for gaming. My budget is 1200-1300 but i am willing to go a little above for maybe a better GPU.
Preferences: i7(K, Hoping to OC)? SSD, 1tb HDD, And an optical drive. Thanks a ton! (Might SLI in the future)
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build picking parts stuff
  1. You want an i5 not an i7. There is no difference in gaming performance at all, making the i7 a waste of money.
  2. tiny voices said:
    You want an i5 not an i7. There is no difference in gaming performance at all, making the i7 a waste of money.


    Ok, How about an i5 4670k which i was looking at earlier.
  3. Yes, that is what you want to look at.

    You will need a z87 motherboard to overclock with and a decent CPU cooler like a Coolermaster hyper 212 evo.

    Add to that 8gb RAM, 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, case (Antec, Corsair, NZXT, Fractal design, Coolermaster), and a 600w PSU (Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic) and you are good to go!
  4. tiny voices said:
    Yes, that is what you want to look at.

    You will need a z87 motherboard to overclock with and a decent CPU cooler like a Coolermaster hyper 212 evo.

    Add to that 8gb RAM, 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, case (Antec, Corsair, NZXT, Fractal design, Coolermaster), and a 600w PSU (Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic) and you are good to go!


    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/241wh Is this a good build?
  5. The PSU is not good. Change it to the brands I listed.

    The motherboard is a bit cheap for overclocking.

    RAM is CAS11. You want CAS9. Lower CAS = faster.

    Get win8.1 for sure.

    Everything else looks good.
  6. tiny voices said:
    The PSU is not good. Change it to the brands I listed.

    The motherboard is a bit cheap for overclocking.

    RAM is CAS11. You want CAS9. Lower CAS = faster.

    Get win8.1 for sure.

    Everything else looks good.



    What are the benefits of windows 8.1? over 7 home premium
  7. It is faster in basically every single application, including games.
  8. Here is my recommended spec - you could easily add a aftermarket CPU cooler to overclock down the road or you could swap the 770 to a 780 if you really want the extra muscle but this rig should be able to tackle any task you throw at it.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/241Jm
  9. game junky said:
    Here is my recommended spec - you could easily add a aftermarket CPU cooler to overclock down the road or you could swap the 770 to a 780 if you really want the extra muscle but this rig should be able to tackle any task you throw at it.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/241Jm



    The RAM is not compatible with intel CPUs. You NEED 1.5v RAM.
  10. tiny voices said:
    It is faster in basically every single application, including games.


    Okay, but its a whole new layout. So ill do some research and stuff.
  11. It is not really a new layout at all. You can do EVERYTHING form win7.
  12. tiny voices said:
    It is not really a new layout at all. You can do EVERYTHING form win7.


    Okay and what peripherals do you recommend for gaming?
    I have a Logitech k120 keyboard.
  13. That will be fine. I have a Corsair m95 mouse that I like alot. Razer make good mice but they are very overpriced. I also use an older Logitech g15 that I can't bring myself to upgrade.

    Do you need monitor advice?
  14. tiny voices said:
    That will be fine. I have a Corsair m95 mouse that I like alot. Razer make good mice but they are very overpriced. I also use an older Logitech g15 that I can't bring myself to upgrade.

    Do you need monitor advice?


    I have an older monitor but i would like a newer one, So yes i would love some advice :D
  15. Get any 1080p monitor. You want one that is LED and preferably one that is an IPS panel.
  16. tiny voices said:
    Get any 1080p monitor. You want one that is LED and preferably one that is an IPS panel.


    AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22.0" Monitor is the one i chose. Is it good?
    Its IPS and LED
  17. Yes, that is a great choice.
  18. tiny voices said:
    Yes, that is a great choice.


    Awesome thanks, And what brand case fans do you recommend? I was thinking Fractal Design ones?
    EDIT* these are the updated parts.
    *Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
    *EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
    *Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    *Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)
    *Logitech G700 Wireless Laser Mouse
    *AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22.0" Monitor

    For the ram it says this: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.
  19. Corsair case fans for sure.

    That RAM isn't going to work. NEEDS to be 1.5v.

    I would NEVER get a wireless mouse for gaming. I made that mistake once.

    Everything else looks good.
  20. tiny voices said:
    Corsair case fans for sure.

    That RAM isn't going to work. NEEDS to be 1.5v.

    I would NEVER get a wireless mouse for gaming. I made that mistake once.

    Everything else looks good.


    All right,
    New parts

    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

    Razer Naga 2014 Wired Laser Mouse

    And i have a question, Laser or Optical?
  21. Neither is really better. Laser can operate at a higher DPI but for people like me who use an average DPI setting, it doesn't matter.

    Both are perfectly fine.

    That RAM will be fine.
  22. tiny voices said:
    Neither is really better. Laser can operate at a higher DPI but for people like me who use an average DPI setting, it doesn't matter.

    Both are perfectly fine.

    That RAM will be fine.


    Cool, And I was looking at your build. What is the CPU clocked at? and is the GPU good for modern games?
  23. The GPU gets high-max settings at 1080p in modern games but it is cutting it close for max settings in new games. I am picking up a second used 660ti for SLI in a few weeks. I recently sold my 2 gtx560s and bought the first 660ti, planing for 660ti SLI. My CPU is not technically fully unlocked. (not a K edition). I t is normally at 2.9ghz and I have it clocked at a max of 3.3ghz. Doesn't even try hard in any games I play. The Overclock doesn't really do much. I did it as more of a "hobby"/"now I have an overclocked CPU" type of thing.
  24. tiny voices said:
    The GPU gets high-max settings at 1080p in modern games but it is cutting it close for max settings in new games. I am picking up a second used 660ti for SLI in a few weeks. My CPU is not technically fully unlocked. (not a K edition). I t is normally at 2.9ghz and I have it clocked at a max of 3.3ghz. Doesn't even try hard in any games I play. The Overclock doesn't really do much. I did it as more of a "hobby"/"now I have an overclocked CPU" type of thing.


    Thats cool. When you do SLI do you need special drivers or just one set for the type of card?
  25. You need nothing special. Just enable SLI in the nvidia control panel. As long as you have a motherboard that fully supports it with x8/x8 PCI-e lanes and a suitable PSU you are good to go.
  26. tiny voices said:
    You need nothing special. Just enable SLI in the nvidia control panel. As long as you have a motherboard that fully supports it with x8/x8 PCI-e lanes and a suitable PSU you are good to go.


    OK, And which do you think is better EVGA precision X or OC guru II? (for OC'ing GPUs)
  27. Best answer
    Neither, MSI afterburner for sure.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems