Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help in choosing a motherboard for a first time gaming pc build

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 17, 2013 7:50:27 PM

Hey I am planning on building a new gaming computer with the parts listed below and was wondering how well these parts would work together and or any recommendations on cutting cost with a different motherboard without reducing much performance? Thanks in advance!
Intel Core i5-4570 Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.2 GHZ 6MB Cache- BX80646I54570 - $199.99 amazon
Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60 - $60.95
amazon
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case CC-9011035-WW
$159.99 amazon
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) - $149.99 amazon
EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2765-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2765-KR - $259.95 amazon
Asus Z87-Deluxe DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard - $270.99
Western Digital 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive, Black, WD1003FZEX - $88.99 amazon
Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) - $21.95 amazon
Windows 8 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit [Old Version] - $99.92 amazon
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE120BW $ 99.00 amazon
CORSAIR RM Series RM850 850W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply $ 159.99
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 8:02:01 PM

if you're not getting a 4670K to OC, get a cheaper H87/B85 board for less than a third of the price of that board you listed. you're not gaining much by paying more for a motherboard you're not taking full advantage of unless you OC.

there are cheaper i5's that cost much less that don't impact performance all that much. 0.2 ghz don't mean a whole lot between a 4570 and a much cheaper 4430 when gaming.

2x4GB DDR3-1600. games still don't use more than that. and when they do, it's as simple as adding another 2x4gb kit. and with DDR4 apparently right around the corner, faster memory may matter more than quantity.

now that you saved up, feel free to upgrade that 760 to a 280X for another $50-60, or a GTX 770 for another $60-80.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 8:04:04 PM

Any preference in mobo colour? Also by how much do you want to reduce your budget?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 17, 2013 8:07:03 PM

Hazle said:
if you're not getting a 4670K to OC, get a cheaper H87/B85 board for less than a third of the price of that board you listed. you're not gaining much by paying more for a motherboard you're not taking full advantage of unless you OC.

there are cheaper i5's that cost much less that don't impact performance all that much. 0.2 ghz don't mean a whole lot between a 4570 and a much cheaper 4430 when gaming.

2x4GB DDR3-1600. games still don't use more than that. and when they do, it's as simple as adding another 2x4gb kit. and with DDR4 apparently right around the corner, faster memory may matter more than quantity.

now that you saved up, feel free to upgrade that 760 to a 280X for another $50-60, or a GTX 770 for another $60-80.

Thanks for the advance in terms of the board I'm not planing on oc since this will be a first time gaming pc build but what board would you recommend?
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 8:10:44 PM

Gate9er said:
Any preference in mobo colour? Also by how much do you want to reduce your budget?


Preferably blue but no preference really and in terms of the budget I'm trying to save around $200-300 mark. As well as perhaps upgrading the GPU with the saved money to something more powerful to play upcoming games in the future.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 8:13:21 PM

AsRock Z87 extreme6

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5H

MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 8:13:53 PM

Well if you're looking to save money, ditch that MB and get an Asus H87 Pro for $115, and ditch the PSU and get a SeaSonic M12II 620 for $85.
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 8:15:20 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Great build, would suggest kicking the DRAM up to 1866 or 2133, 1600/9 is basically entry level and Haswell scales to DRAM extremely well, for about $170 can get the 2x8GB GSkill Tridents in 2133/9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or at $160 1866/9 Snipers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks I was thinking that it might be a little slower but would you suggest just going with 2x4 memory 1866/9 and waiting on DDR4?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 8:20:18 PM

Deuce65 said:
Well if you're looking to save money, ditch that MB and get an Asus H87 Pro for $115, and ditch the PSU and get a SeaSonic M12II 620 for $85.


+1

do this for MB. there are cheaper alternatives, but a little more for quality assurance can't hurt considering how much you planned to spend on earlier.

overlooked your PSU earlier. you can definitely spend less there, unless you plan to get 2 cards to run in SLI/CF.
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 8:23:16 PM

Deuce65 said:
Well if you're looking to save money, ditch that MB and get an Asus H87 Pro for $115, and ditch the PSU and get a SeaSonic M12II 620 for $85.


I was looking for a fully modular power supply to help with cable management any good ones that can help me save some cash? And in terms of the board would you think support for SLI in the future would be helpful? or would i be better off with just a single gpu solution?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 8:28:17 PM

A good semi-modular power supply won't provide you with nothing you do not need. Buy a good 700-800W power supply (Corsair, Bequiet, Seasonic, XFX, Coolermaster are amongst the top).
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 8:56:12 PM

Hazle said:
Deuce65 said:
Well if you're looking to save money, ditch that MB and get an Asus H87 Pro for $115, and ditch the PSU and get a SeaSonic M12II 620 for $85.


+1

do this for MB. there are cheaper alternatives, but a little more for quality assurance can't hurt considering how much you planned to spend on earlier.

overlooked your PSU earlier. you can definitely spend less there, unless you plan to get 2 cards to run in SLI/CF.


So the H87 pro is a good replacement? I'm not planing on oc and in terms of SLI I probably won't be running one in the near future so would a 650 watt be enough?
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 8:57:50 PM

Thanks guys for all the quick responses! I'm building a PC for the first time and all the different options can be really intimidating
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 9:34:52 PM

Bestbryan said:
Deuce65 said:
Well if you're looking to save money, ditch that MB and get an Asus H87 Pro for $115, and ditch the PSU and get a SeaSonic M12II 620 for $85.


I was looking for a fully modular power supply to help with cable management any good ones that can help me save some cash? And in terms of the board would you think support for SLI in the future would be helpful? or would i be better off with just a single gpu solution?


Well the Seasonic I listed is a good one and modular. Semi modular usually is just as good because the permenently attache cables are ones you almost always have to use anyway, with the more optional ones being modular.
m
0
l
a c 621 4 Gaming
a c 1647 V Motherboard
November 17, 2013 9:56:02 PM

Bestbryan said:
Tradesman1 said:
Great build, would suggest kicking the DRAM up to 1866 or 2133, 1600/9 is basically entry level and Haswell scales to DRAM extremely well, for about $170 can get the 2x8GB GSkill Tridents in 2133/9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or at $160 1866/9 Snipers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks I was thinking that it might be a little slower but would you suggest just going with 2x4 memory 1866/9 and waiting on DDR4?

_______________________

2x4GB is sufficient for gaming - as far as waiting on DDR4 - that's going to require a new mobo (and will possibly a mobo and CPU) - todays CPUs aren't ready for DDR4 so they would have to come up with a chipset that would basically manage things between the current MC's (memory controllers) and the DRAM on a new mobo
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2013 1:35:22 PM

Bestbryan said:
So I have this as a sorta final parts list right now was wondering what you guys think about it and how it would fair in gaming
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24pUB


Yeap I think you are ready to go! Enjoy :) 
Share
a c 621 4 Gaming
a c 1647 V Motherboard
November 18, 2013 3:54:08 PM

Looks good!
m
0
l
!