990 FXA rev 4 - I can not get the settings working with 4 sticks of ram. If I use 2 sticks it will work.

Memory Settings
Corsair Vengeance 1866MHZ 9-10-27 1.5V
AMD FX8320 Black Edition
GA-990FXA-UD3 Ver4
With 4 sticks of ram it will not work. I have set everything to the specs on the memory dozens of times. Tried to up the voltage, didn't work. I pulled2 sticks of of ram and it will set to the 1866 and I can even overclock the CPU. This one has me baffled.
13 answers Last reply
More about 990 fxa rev settings working sticks ram sticks work
  1. Ok try 2 sticks at a time run them for hours if they run fine pull them put them aside then try 2 more sticks do this again if they run fine for hours no errors its either your board or the ram.
  2. Go into the BIOS and manually set the freq to 1866, then the base timings 9-10-10-27, 2N or 2T, DRAM volatge 1.575, and raise the CPU/NB voltage to 1.21 and give it a try
  3. Does that board have a xmp profile in the bios? he could also try that.
  4. It's AMD - might have DOCP or EOCP, but sounds like sticks don't want to play
  5. I have XMP IN all my systems they are amd but don't laugh they are also biostar boards but it works had a hell of a time with my 990fx and 6100 in XMP PROFILE but after some trial and errors got it to work. But not all boards are the same and I am sure they are far better boards then what I have in my systems.
  6. I did that already, also turned on the XMP,
  7. Do I keep the XMP turned on or disable it?
  8. Then try TRADESMAN ADVICE and see if that works.
  9. Yes ON the XMP you set and enable it and leave it on that way your ram - Memory is set to those settings.
  10. thank you, but that did not work. I got a screen that said " boot failure" and it listed these settings: Current CPU speed: 4000.Mhz
    Current BCLK: 200.98 Mhz
    Current memory speed: 1399.90
    I loaded it back with optimized defaults so I could boot into Windows
    Northbridge AMD RD9x0 rev. 02
    Southbridge AMD SB910/950 rev. 40
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR3
    Memory Size 16384 MBytes
    Channels Dual
    Memory Frequency 669.7 MHz (3:10)
    CAS# latency (CL) 9.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 9
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 24
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 34
    Uncore Frequency 2210.0 MHz
  11. YOU say it booted up at 4 gig that is your max on the cpu your cpu will turbo up to 4 ghz this could be your problem have you tried to reset your cmos clear ram and started out fresh?
  12. Shrap34 said:
    Memory Settings
    Corsair Vengeance 1866MHZ 9-10-27 1.5V
    AMD FX8320 Black Edition
    GA-990FXA-UD3 Ver4
    With 4 sticks of ram it will not work. I have set everything to the specs on the memory dozens of times. Tried to up the voltage, didn't work. I pulled2 sticks of of ram and it will set to the 1866 and I can even overclock the CPU. This one has me baffled.

Sharp34,

Did you ever get this working? I am having the same problem. Memory works at 1866 with two sticks but as soon as I add a 3rd or 4th it dies and needs set to 1600.
    Using the same mobo and processor but using Gskill Sniper Memory.

Thanks
  13. AMD has weaker MCs (memory controllers) with 4 sticks you often have to raise the DRAM and MC voltage, try the DRAM + 0.05 and take the CPU/NB voltage to 1.21 to start, (may need more to the CPU/NB if 1.21 is no joy, then try 1.25)
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Memory AMD Corsair