Solved

Need Help With PC Crashing. Possible Memory Failure, Or Software?

Hi, over the past week my PC has been freezing/bluescreening after around 10 mins of game-play on any game (sometimes when it reboots it gives me four beeps with an orange blinking power light). I have called up dell, they instructed me to run their diagnostics tool which came back fine. Every component passed the test which is leading them to believe it is a software issue.

In summary I really need some help here, I'm lost. I'm new to this kind of stuff so I don't know what to post. Let me know what you need and how to get the information and I will be happy to do it.

- Regards, Fazzz
33 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about crashing memory failure software
  1. I would try to update any drivers to update my computer, go to dell and see what that have available for your computer. I don't know the specs so I can't really suggest to you where to look for the drivers. Seems to me that it could be a failing stick of memory, I don't know what battery of tests they had you run...

    Google Memtest, download it, burn it to a CD, leave CD in your computer and restart your computer it will run a memory diagnostic that should help see if its possibly a bad memory stick. If not its possibly driver related.
  2. http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19


    Go there, and select desktop or laptop (don't know which you have) THen select your model, and exact model, then there is an option to "get drivers" Try this and see if that fixes the issue.
  3. Supahos said:
    http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19


    Go there, and select desktop or laptop (don't know which you have) THen select your model, and exact model, then there is an option to "get drivers" Try this and see if that fixes the issue.


    There are no recommended drivers to update, guess this means they are all up-to date?
  4. xFazzz said:
    Supahos said:
    http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19


    Go there, and select desktop or laptop (don't know which you have) THen select your model, and exact model, then there is an option to "get drivers" Try this and see if that fixes the issue.



    that would be my guess as well. Here is the memtest site http://www.memtest.org/

    Download file, burn to CD, Leave CD in computer, Restart computer, let it run see if it finds any errors.

    There are no recommended drivers to update, guess this means they are all up-to date?
  5. xFazzz said:
    Supahos said:
    http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19


    Go there, and select desktop or laptop (don't know which you have) THen select your model, and exact model, then there is an option to "get drivers" Try this and see if that fixes the issue.


    There are no recommended drivers to update, guess this means they are all up-to date?
  6. Supahos said:
    xFazzz said:
    Supahos said:
    http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19


    Go there, and select desktop or laptop (don't know which you have) THen select your model, and exact model, then there is an option to "get drivers" Try this and see if that fixes the issue.


    There are no recommended drivers to update, guess this means they are all up-to date?




    Im running memtest now. Its passed 1 and 0 errors. How long should i let it run? I have 2x2gb and 2x4gb of ddr3 memory
  7. Okay one more thing to look at, make sure the memory is as follows


    CPU-->4/2/4/2 or 2/4/2/4


    not 4/4/2/2 or 2/2/4/4


    You want the same sized sticks in the same colored slots (assuming there are colors on that mother board memory slots).
  8. Supahos said:
    Okay one more thing to look at, make sure the memory is as follows


    CPU-->4/2/4/2 or 2/4/2/4


    not 4/4/2/2 or 2/2/4/4


    You want the same sized sticks in the same colored slots (assuming there are colors on that mother board memory slots).


    On memtest it is as follows.
    Slot 0 2048
    Slot 1 4096
    Slot 2 2048
    Slot 3 4096

    Is this correct?
  9. yep that is as it should be, I would probably have done them 4/2/4/2 but that shoudlnl't cause the crashes, if you can get into the bios Try upping the Dram voltage to 1.55v, and what kind of rig do you have? amd or intel? and which processor/motherboard? if AMD up the CPU/NB +.1v

    if intel (and an IX 2 or 3 series) raise the VCCIO +.1v
  10. Supahos said:
    yep that is as it should be, I would probably have done them 4/2/4/2 but that shoudlnl't cause the crashes, if you can get into the bios Try upping the Dram voltage to 1.55v, and what kind of rig do you have? amd or intel? and which processor/motherboard? if AMD up the CPU/NB +.1v

    if intel (and an IX 2 or 3 series) raise the VCCIO +.1v


    Its an intel rig with an amd gpu. Id rather not go into the bios to be honest mate, I'm not confident in that. How long should i leave memtest running? And if it comes back fine what is my next move. Do i look in a software/driver malfunction? And if so how do i do this?

    Thanks for your help!
  11. The changes I suggested are VERY easy and can't be messed up. there will be a value for DramVoltage or Vdram or Dramv, just type 1.55 and let that go


    The Vccio is also easy, just look at whatever it has listed next to it (I'm sure it says auto, but there should be a value next to the word auto) and add .1v to it. I think your problem is that you have 2 mixed kits and a bit of voltage would likely fix the issue. If the voltage doesn't fix things the sticks could have different timeings and possibly changing it to 4/2/4/2 in the board could fix it but I promise the volage tweaks are much easier than it sounds.
  12. Supahos said:
    The changes I suggested are VERY easy and can't be messed up. there will be a value for DramVoltage or Vdram or Dramv, just type 1.55 and let that go


    The Vccio is also easy, just look at whatever it has listed next to it (I'm sure it says auto, but there should be a value next to the word auto) and add .1v to it. I think your problem is that you have 2 mixed kits and a bit of voltage would likely fix the issue. If the voltage doesn't fix things the sticks could have different timeings and possibly changing it to 4/2/4/2 in the board could fix it but I promise the volage tweaks are much easier than it sounds.


    Well for now im just gonna let memtest run. How long should i do it for? If it gets an error i will send it off to dell. If it doesn't it must be driver/software right? Also, i have had this rig for around a year and a half with no upgrades. I don't see why the voltage would suddenly effect it?

    If its a ram issue will memtest defiantly pick it up? Plus can you offer support for other issues? Because if its a driver or software issue i have no idea how to determine what it is. I also upgraded from windows 7 to 8.1 (legal copy). So how would i restore it back to factory settings?
  13. If anyone could give me a hand with this that would be great. Memtest has currently passed 2 times with 0 errors.
  14. Never mind, the PC just shut itself down during memtest. Im seriously stuck on what to do now. Is it hardware or a driver error?
  15. If it shut down durning memtest it cant be driver related as the drivers arent loaded. That does narrow it down to a hardware issue
  16. Supahos said:
    If it shut down durning memtest it cant be driver related as the drivers arent loaded. That does narrow it down to a hardware issue


    Scratch that last, it didn't crash the power cord came out. Memtest found no errors and passed 9 times. This morning i removed my video card drivers (AMD RADEON 6950 2gb). I was running version 13.9, I re installed the beta 13.11 drivers and i have not crashed as of yet. Could this be a fix?
  17. Best answer
    yes it always can be a fix, it might not be that you changed driver is may just be that the old one was corrupt. I wish they made a "clean install" button on all driver updates. I do like that about nvidia you can force its video drivers to uninstall, and then do a fresh install every time.
  18. Supahos said:
    yes it always can be a fix, it might not be that you changed driver is may just be that the old one was corrupt. I wish they made a "clean install" button on all driver updates. I do like that about nvidia you can force its video drivers to uninstall, and then do a fresh install every time.


    Thanks so much for your help, if anything happens can i PM you?
  19. Yes you can, I'm not active all the time so you might be better just posting here but if I see what you ask I'll try my best to answer it.
  20. Supahos said:
    Yes you can, I'm not active all the time so you might be better just posting here but if I see what you ask I'll try my best to answer it.


    Great, the PC just crashed while playing BF4 and CSGO fine for over 4 hours, upon powering off and on. I get the 4 beep error code with the orange light again. Any ideas what I do now? Also, when the PC came back on my desktop icons were all in different places...
  21. are the 4 beeps all the same length? or was it like 3 shorts and a long? Have you looked up this code? it might be exactly what we needed to know to diagnose the issue.
  22. And yes, the 4 beeps is apparently a memory read/write error. However it only does the beep code on rare occasions, most times it just crashes and re-boots fine...

    Also, memtest found no errors after 9 passes.
  23. Here is another video of it crashing mid game and booting up fine. Sorry about the dodgy camera angle on this one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-L01UuIi0
  24. Just for arguments sake, pull the 2gb sticks and hope that maybe they are the issue. (you should be fine with 8gb anyway)
  25. Supahos said:
    Just for arguments sake, pull the 2gb sticks and hope that maybe they are the issue. (you should be fine with 8gb anyway)


    The case design is terrible on the XPS 8300 model, I cant unclip the ram without removing the Radeon 6950 2GB GPU. And I am not comfortable in doing this. Any other solutions?
  26. Back to my original voltage suggestions, but I don't know if you can make them in the bios. Usually if you only unclip the top part of ram you can pull them out. (don't have to unclip both sides, or you can unclip one side and rock the ram to unclip the other.
  27. Supahos said:
    Back to my original voltage suggestions, but I don't know if you can make them in the bios. Usually if you only unclip the top part of ram you can pull them out. (don't have to unclip both sides, or you can unclip one side and rock the ram to unclip the other.


    Dell are calling back after 4pm GMT, should I just let them handle it from here on out as a memory issue? Are you pretty sure that it is memory?
  28. if that is what the beep code means then yes it is memory related. If its worked fine for a year and then suddenly start failing then its likely a bad stick and the voltage likely won't fix the issue, but it may which is why I suggested it.
  29. Supahos said:
    if that is what the beep code means then yes it is memory related. If its worked fine for a year and then suddenly start failing then its likely a bad stick and the voltage likely won't fix the issue, but it may which is why I suggested it.


    Ok, again thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens later on tonight.
  30. Dell are coming to collect the PC on Thursday, just got to hope that they actually find/fix the issue.
  31. Yeah you know they'll try to use it and it will work for 8 hours with no issue, you'll get it back and still have the issue... intermittent issues SUCK!
  32. Supahos said:
    Yeah you know they'll try to use it and it will work for 8 hours with no issue, you'll get it back and still have the issue... intermittent issues SUCK!


    Well, I know that it will crash within 10 mins of gameplay. However no faults show up on hardware tests...
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Blue Screen Crash Memory