Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I crossfire two 7950's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 19, 2013 8:05:14 AM


I'm fresh out of ideas and I would be very grateful for your help.

GPU-Z says my crossfire is Disabled.
CCC 13.9 doesn't have an Enable option..
I am using a Crossfire bridge/connection, but nothing.

My Specs:
Windows 7
3.6GHz AMD 8-core (AM3+), 16GB RAM
MotherBoard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7
PSU: 1200W Corsair


Here are my two graphics cards:
They are 7950's that are 3GB each (OC'd from 2GB)

They look different but I'm certain they are the same model,
Even if there's a variation they are of the same series.



And their respectively undersides:



SIDE NOTE:
I do not know what these switches are, and what they do..





I have attempted to search my BIOS for GPU options, my MB has a special bios you can use with a mouse (I forget the term for that), and I cannot find any GPU settings. I've had both GPU's for.. maybe a year, and I have never successfully Crossfired them.

If anyone has ANY ideas, I am all ears.

More about : crossfire 7950

a c 1378 U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 8:08:36 AM

Did you uninstall the drivers prior to installing them and then reinstall with both cards in?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 8:13:48 AM

The switch is for different BIOS on the cards. This is for people that try to flash their cards with a new BIOS as they can screw it up once and not brick their card.

Anyway, to crossfire you simply uninstall the old display driver, turn off the computer, put in the second card, put in the power connectors, install the crossfire bridge, start the computer and install the display driver.

When I set up my crossfire setup CCC kept telling me to install the crossfire bridge even though it was already in. I turned off the computer and flipped the bridge around then it worked fine. Try flipping the bridge around and see if it works.

Crossfire is under gaming in CCC. You should see it enable automatically.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 19, 2013 8:14:53 AM

rolli59 said:
Did you uninstall the drivers prior to installing them and then reinstall with both cards in?


A couple months ago I did a format and reinstall of Windows.
I have again reinstalled the drivers since.

I'm pretty certain I installed the drivers with just one card in, so I knew where to plug my monitor.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 8:18:29 AM

Your monitor always goes into the top card. You can't install the driver with one card in.
m
0
l
a c 1378 U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 8:20:44 AM

You have to install the driver with both cards in.
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 8:31:24 AM

wanderer11 said:
The switch is for different BIOS on the cards. This is for people that try to flash their cards with a new BIOS as they can screw it up once and not brick their card.

Anyway, to crossfire you simply uninstall the old display driver, turn off the computer, put in the second card, put in the power connectors, install the crossfire bridge, start the computer and install the display driver.

When I set up my crossfire setup CCC kept telling me to install the crossfire bridge even though it was already in. I turned off the computer and flipped the bridge around then it worked fine. Try flipping the bridge around and see if it works.

Crossfire is under gaming in CCC. You should see it enable automatically.


rolli59 said:
You have to install the driver with both cards in.


Correct me if the steps I'm about to take are wrong/unnecessary:

I'm going to take my second card out, and start my PC with my top card in.
I'll uninstall ALL display drivers (I'll have too google it, but I'm sure I'll manage)
Switch my PC off, and putting in my second card, connecting it to the power and CrossFire the two.
Start my PC, download and install the latest drivers.

I have CCC 13.9 and I have been told many times there is NO CrossFire option in it.. But I'll come back if I'm really stuck.
m
0
l
a c 1378 U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 8:38:46 AM

Works, In device manager uninstall the card before shut down, removes drivers.
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 11:13:33 AM

rolli59 said:
Works, In device manager uninstall the card before shut down, removes drivers.


Nothing.. I even tried CCC 13.11 but it just gave me less options.

m
0
l
a c 1378 U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 11:17:01 AM

Did you download the crossfire profiles?
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 11:28:53 AM

rolli59 said:
Did you download the crossfire profiles?


I'm afraid I don't understand what they are, where to get them, or how to use them :( 
m
0
l
a c 1378 U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 11:41:36 AM

Just install them they are from AMD as well.
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 11:53:20 AM

rolli59 said:
Just install them they are from AMD as well.


Can you please provide a link? I have no idea where to get them from..
The AMD search results are unclear..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 12:11:19 PM

Try hitting the preferences button near the top right and choose "Advanced Mode". This should give you a list of new tabs on the left including the one that has the check box for crossfire.
m
0
l
a c 1378 U Graphics card
November 19, 2013 12:41:19 PM

mrneenaw said:
rolli59 said:
Just install them they are from AMD as well.


Can you please provide a link? I have no idea where to get them from..
The AMD search results are unclear..

Never mind looks like they are incorporated in the newer drivers.
m
0
l
!