7970 OC CF or to go with 290x

MYYK

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
So amazon has a sweet deal for sapphire 7970 OC for 240$, so basically you get 2 for 480$, to go for it or to go for some newer option...?

Solution
Only thing I don't like about the 290x's is the heat issue with them. Look on Tom's home page, you shouldn't have to replace thermal paste and the cooler on a new GPU just to get the temps down. It almost seems like a rushed product, as all of the new R-line. I see so many threads on here a day about the R series and driver issues, etc. I was looking for a new card about a month ago and the 7870 or 270x, are the same card and same priced about and I went for the old classic 7870 instead. They are tried and true, support GCN so they will support Mantle anyways. I was only looking for a single card though. The above poster makes a good point that two 7970's will be your limit now, getting 1 290x can leave room for crossfire down...

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I have 2x 7970s, its quicker than a 290X, but if you get a 290X now you can of course CF that for even more power. I think it depends how long you are looking to keep the solution for. I have to say, my overclocked 7970s feel at their limit at 1440p on BF4 Ultra with 120% resolution scaling now... I've had them 2 years! Good to see them finally being fully utilised, just waiting to see what Mantle does as well.

Only thing I don't like about the 290x's is the heat issue with them. Look on Tom's home page, you shouldn't have to replace thermal paste and the cooler on a new GPU just to get the temps down. It almost seems like a rushed product, as all of the new R-line. I see so many threads on here a day about the R series and driver issues, etc. I was looking for a new card about a month ago and the 7870 or 270x, are the same card and same priced about and I went for the old classic 7870 instead. They are tried and true, support GCN so they will support Mantle anyways. I was only looking for a single card though. The above poster makes a good point that two 7970's will be your limit now, getting 1 290x can leave room for crossfire down the road. Just depends on if all 290x's suffer bad heat issues or was it just the reference ones Tom's did. I havent' read too much of the articles on it TBH.

Solution