FX-8350 Voltages for OC

koreanoverlord

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello, in the past I ran an OC @ 4.5GHz with a static 1.45V. Today I was messing around with it some more and I figured out I get much better results if I just set the LLC to Extreme and leave my voltage at stock (Currently 4.6GHz-1.375V).

Now on to the question. I know the "Max" voltages for Vishera is 1.55V, however I want to speed up the degradation as little as possible. So with my current settings I idle from 1.35V to 1.375V, and when I run Prime95 it jumps to 1.428V and will occasionally jump to 1.44V. Earlier I was getting 4.8GHz at 1.38V (1.449V to 1.455V in P95), so how bad is it for degradation if I rarely cross 1.45V if it is under full pressure? And can I push it a bit further without hurting the processor at a faster rate?

Temps are nice and cool, Idle at 16C to 18C, full load appears to be around 50C. My chip does not have Core sensors though, so I cannot monitor those.

Solution
I had tons of problems with mine running on extreme even though it was on that for a long time so now I run ultra. it seems right below extreme is the best for me. i run 233 fsb with the multi @ 20.5 for around 4.8+ @1.48 just to play it safe. I could probably run lower but this seems to work the best for me and is fully stable.

anything 1.5v and lower your fine. I had mine at 5.2 @ 1.55v to see how high I could get, could never get it to stay stable most likely due to the extreme setting but who knows. I though I killed my cpu a few times and had to reset my bios to default and it was ok.

also you do have core sensors the cores are what your should be looking at, 62c max core ~70c package. download hwinfo64 and look at both the cpu temps

also max safe voltage is 1.5 not 1.55 according to AMD

sorta a mishmash of questions i'll try to help.

CPUs degrade due to the RESULT of increased voltage, HEAT. It's not the voltage that kills a cpu (in general) it's the heat that does.

Now before i start talking temps i need to make something clear. AMD does not use thermometers on their cpus (they stopped with the release of the phenomII). They use a mathematical algorithm based on power fluctuations and voltages and who knows what else to measure a temperature "estimate". This means AMD cpu core temps when reported accurately are not actual "core temps"... if they're compatible to anything they're closest to a heat spreader temp; or surface temp of the cpu.

THIS is a huge difference from intel, and leads to a lot of confusion. We don't know what the temp of an AMD core is running at, we don't have an actual dependable temp measurement. We can only go by what the company tells us. So when an amd cpu reports a core temp of 65C, that's not it's actual core temp as "intel" would define it... or as any sane person would define it either.

Now we throw into the mix that because it's a temp number generated by an algorithm, it's known to be inaccurate. On the Phenom II you could count on the temps of the cpu to be reported inaccurately by as much as 20C in one direction or another. On piledriver it's even more complicated as piledriver cpus typically don't report their temps accurately under 30C-40C... meaning you can see wild temp swings under those temps and then something approaching a solid temp when it's under load. That said i've seen piledriver cpus fail to report core temps accurately in any way whatsoever, which really can make overclocking a bit nerve wracking.

Now that disclaimer is out of the way, Vishera/Piledriver cpus are stable up to around a reported core temp of 70C... according to AMD the max safe temp for the chips is 90C, but like with the phenomII cpus, piledriver chips won't get to 90C, because they become unstable and will crash your system up around a reported 70C (phenomII cpus would do this around a reported 58-62C).

I would feel safe with any piledriver cpu at 65C or lower... generally speaking if you're hitting those numbers i don't think you have anything to fear about heat damage... if you're getting up over 70C i would expect you're starting to get into a "yellow/caution" zone where you might begin to damage the cpu with heat.

as for voltages, as long as heat isn't an issue i wouldn't worry about any vcore voltage under 1.55V

If your cpu can run prime95 without issue at 4.5ghz then i would just keep pushing the cpu multiplier higher until it won't run prime95 on stock voltage. it sounds like you have an above average cpu... so a 4.9/5.0 overclock on air might be possible.

Solution

koreanoverlord

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah I have hwinfo64, still no core temps. I guess mine is defective or something.

dmstewart

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

I really want to fine tune the current fx 8350 that I have been working on. But I cant for the life of me remember which voltages I have to adjust for an FSB oc/fine tuning. Its been so long. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?