Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this the correct way to format, when installing a new MOBO, CPU, and RAM?

Last response: in Storage
Share
November 19, 2013 12:00:42 PM

Okay, so basically I've been searching around the forums frantically trying to find an answer off of other peoples posts, with no success, so hopefully from my personal post I can get some knowledge. I'm upgrading from a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 (760g Chipset), AMD FX-4100, 8GB Cheapy ram, to a Asus ASRock MB-970 Extreme 4(970g chipset), AMD FX-6300 Black Edition, and Kingston Hyperx 8GB (2x4GB)@1600 Mhz RAM.

Now, obviously I'm going to have to re-install windows, but it's the formatting part that gets me.. Should I backup some files I need on my second 80GB hard drive, insert my Windows 7 CD, shut down my computer, rip out my old components, install my new components, turn on my computer with my new components, and boot from the Windows 7 CD, select my drive I'm installing Windows 7 on, and select the "Advance" option tab, click "Format" and let it format, then install windows as normal after the format?

I'm mainly asking this because it seems like every thread there is a million ways of doing things, but this is a simple question to answer hopefully, with a "Yes, Format from the "Advance" option when prompted to select a drive in the Windows 7 installation menu, and continue on installing Windows 7 as usual", or a "No, this is how you should go on about doing it, etc.. etc..." Please help, as I'm getting all of this new PC Hardware due Christmas!
a b G Storage
a c 104 à CPUs
November 19, 2013 12:05:34 PM

pull out the 80gb before you reinstall just to make sure that drive doesn't get formatted by accident. people delete the wrong partition/drive a lot and then wonder where their backups went.

If you can stretch your budget a bit more, try to go for an 8320 and a 99fx chipset. Blackfriday deals may help in that.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
a c 336 à CPUs
November 19, 2013 12:07:41 PM

If you want to do a clean install of Windows 7, turn on the finished PC, go into BIOS and be sure the DVD is the first boot device it looks for. Drop the Win7 DVD in the drive and exit/save BIOS. When the PC re-boots, it will either try to boot from the DVD drive or ask you if that is what you want to do.

You don't need to do a format like in the old days. You'll be given 2 choices; take the one that does a clean install. It will automatically format the HDD before installing Win7. But it will be a 'quick' format, because the drive was already full formatted in the past.
Share
Related resources
a b G Storage
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2013 12:07:57 PM

Yes, Format from Advanced option in Win 7.

Lower level formats are available but this one should work for what you are trying to do.
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 12:08:49 PM

getochkn said:
pull out the 80gb before you reinstall just to make sure that drive doesn't get formatted by accident. people delete the wrong partition/drive a lot and then wonder where their backups went.

If you can stretch your budget a bit more, try to go for an 8320 and a 99fx chipset. Blackfriday deals may help in that.



I wasn't asking that, I was mainly just asking if that's the correct way to install Windows 7, after installing a new motherboard/cpu/ram, forget about the 80GB drive, that's rather out of the question, I was basically just asking if that was the right way to go about a format when installing a new motherboard, etc..
m
0
l
a b G Storage
a c 104 à CPUs
November 19, 2013 12:11:48 PM

yes, that's fine, although the difference in chipsets is so small you might not have to even reinstall. I just went from a 970 chipset to 99fx chipset, and didn't reinstall, just put the new board in, booted up and it was good to go.
m
0
l
November 19, 2013 12:16:09 PM

getochkn said:
yes, that's fine, although the difference in chipsets is so small you might not have to even reinstall. I just went from a 970 chipset to 99fx chipset, and didn't reinstall, just put the new board in, booted up and it was good to go.


I'll try to put it in and see if she boots up at first, if not, I'll just do the Windows 7 CD's "Format" option before installing windows again.

m
0
l
November 19, 2013 1:53:45 PM

clutchc said:
If you want to do a clean install of Windows 7, turn on the finished PC, go into BIOS and be sure the DVD is the first boot device it looks for. Drop the Win7 DVD in the drive and exit/save BIOS. When the PC re-boots, it will either try to boot from the DVD drive or ask you if that is what you want to do.

You don't need to do a format like in the old days. You'll be given 2 choices; take the one that does a clean install. It will automatically format the HDD before installing Win7. But it will be a 'quick' format, because the drive was already full formatted in the past.



All of the answers were great, but this was the most detailed! Thanks!
m
0
l
!