Solved

gtx 660 TI vs 7950 vs 760 - which one will work safely with my PSU ( i can afford those three)

As the title says i can afford either of the card 660 TI vs 760 vs 7950

The main problem is my PSU ( Dont tell me to change it because i cannot i will change my PSU after 1 year or so )

My PSU is - Cooler master thunder 500W - Link for details - http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/powersupply/thunder/thunder-500w.html


I know its not a quality PSU but it is what it is , it is a brand new PSU

My whole rig -
fx 8120
8gb ddr3
gigabyte 970a
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gtx 660 7950 760 work safely psu afford
  1. 7950
  2. Depends. They all perform very similarly, the 7950 has and extra GB of ram which might factor in if you are someone who plays alot of skyrim with texture mods and what not or on a higher than 1080p display. It also has Mantle and (I think) comes with BF4.

    The 660ti and 760 also support G-sync which might also impact your buying decisions. Has 100 dollars off a shield, and has Physx if your into that.

    Comes down to personal decisions/reasons.

    Price might also be a deciding factor, I haven't checked in a while.

    Though if you wanted an Nvidia card I would lean more toward the 760 than the 660ti.
  3. Please also check the amperage, that is something important as well. A GTX660 TI needs at least 24 Amp on the +12 volt rail. You have it, but there are other parts in your pc, not only your vga... give me a few minutes and I see what i can do to help.
  4. Wait. We are a week and a half away from Black Friday, so I'd wait till then. You could probably afford a better video card than what you are thinking you can buy if you do so. I think, at the very least, you could get a 7970/280x for the same price you are looking to spend.
  5. Please check this for me:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130215203606AA8p4ec

    I have a GTX 660 OC myself, and when I upgraded before, I didn't check the amp requirements properly. I bought 3 Psu's, and 2 of them is useless, ther were buzzing under pressure. I know you don't want to change your supply, but I don't want you to get dissappointed with it...
  6. Hussar93 said:
    Please also check the amperage, that is something important as well. A GTX660 TI needs at least 24 Amp on the +12 volt rail. You have it, but there are other parts in your pc, not only your vga... give me a few minutes and I see what i can do to help.


    I assume you got that from the Nvidias website. If so thats for low end PSUs and is intended as entire system wattage.

    The 660ti has (according to anandtech) a 150w tdp.
  7. GTX760 and 7950 are not going to work. Please check here:
    http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards
    "GeForce GTX 760 - 30A and a 500W PSU minimum"
    "Radeon HD 7950 - 25A and a 500W psu minimum"

    You have 24 amp in one rail, and 21 in the other
  8. mouse24 said:
    Hussar93 said:
    Please also check the amperage, that is something important as well. A GTX660 TI needs at least 24 Amp on the +12 volt rail. You have it, but there are other parts in your pc, not only your vga... give me a few minutes and I see what i can do to help.


    I assume you got that from the Nvidias website. If so thats for low end PSUs and is intended as entire system wattage.

    The 660ti has (according to anandtech) a 150w tdp.


    Thanks, I will look into that as well. You see, we learn something new every day.
  9. Thanks a alot hussar I'll go for a 660 ti then there is not Much of a difference between these cards as far asI've heard
  10. Hussar93 said:
    GTX760 and 7950 are not going to work. Please check here:
    http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards
    "GeForce GTX 760 - 30A and a 500W PSU minimum"
    "Radeon HD 7950 - 25A and a 500W psu minimum"

    You have 24 amp in one rail, and 21 in the other


    Abhi Singh said:
    Thanks a alot hussar I'll go for a 660 ti then there is not Much of a difference between these cards as far asI've heard


    You'll be fine with a 760/770/7950/7970.

    Anandtech was using an overclocked 3930k @ 4.3ghz + a 7950 and was only reaching about 360w max during stress testing for the entire system.

  11. Hmm and again I am confused
  12. The CM Thunder 500W can safely deliver 408W
    And max your system consumes with
    GTX 760 : 380W
    GTX 660 Ti : 369W
    HD 7950 : 359W

    All 3 will work. Only that its a bad quality psu
  13. Hmm I think I may goo for a 7950
  14. I've heard that AMD cards use much power than nvidia cards and if that is true how can HD 7950 use less power than 760 or 660 ti

    Chimera that power consumption is of the whole system or the just card?
  15. Best answer
    Abhi Singh said:
    I've heard that AMD cards use much power than nvidia cards and if that is true how can HD 7950 use less power than 760 or 660 ti

    Chimera that power consumption is of the whole system or the just card?


    The power consumption i listed is for the whole system

    Here is a chart showing only card power consumption
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_290X_OC/24.html
    In Average Crysis 2 at 1920x1080, Extreme profile the 7950 consumes least power
    In Peak 7950 is just higher than 660Ti
    Maximum is a FurMark Test where 7950 consumes highest

    Another chart showing total system power consumption Battlefield 3
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/598
  16. chimera201 said:
    Abhi Singh said:
    I've heard that AMD cards use much power than nvidia cards and if that is true how can HD 7950 use less power than 760 or 660 ti

    Chimera that power consumption is of the whole system or the just card?


    The power consumption i listed is for the whole system

    Here is a chart showing only card power consumption
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_290X_OC/24.html
    In Average Crysis 2 at 1920x1080, Extreme profile the 7950 consumes least power
    In Peak 7950 is just higher than 660Ti
    Maximum is a FurMark Test where 7950 consumes highest

    Another chart showing total system power consumption Battlefield 3
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/598



    thanks i will go for a 7950 then
  17. According to ur psu specifications it can support all three cards and 760 is a bit faster than other two and 660ti consumes minimum power. With 760 total power consumption of the system during battlefield 3 is 330watts. 760 requires 30A on 12v rail and ur psu states that it has two 18A rails so it will support 760, see the link below

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review/16

    Some reviews of this psu are not good.

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/728/10
  18. Raheel Hasan said:
    According to ur psu specifications it can support all three cards and 760 is a bit faster than other two and 660ti consumes minimum power. With 760 total power consumption of the system during battlefield 3 is 330watts. 760 requires 30A on 12v rail and ur psu states that it has two 18A rails so it will support 760, see the link below

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review/16

    Some reviews of this psu are not good.

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/728/10




    My PSU is cooler master thunder not cooler master extreme
  19. Abhi Singh said:
    Raheel Hasan said:
    According to ur psu specifications it can support all three cards and 760 is a bit faster than other two and 660ti consumes minimum power. With 760 total power consumption of the system during battlefield 3 is 330watts. 760 requires 30A on 12v rail and ur psu states that it has two 18A rails so it will support 760, see the link below

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review/16

    Some reviews of this psu are not good.

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/728/10




    My PSU is cooler master thunder not cooler master extreme


    They both are equally bad
  20. The problem with Cooler Master Thunder series is that it operates at 200-240V. Almost all trusted reviewers(reviewers that have precise equipment for load testing and operating conditions) are mostly Americans and they operate at 115V. Hence u won't see reviews. And all 80 Plus certification labs are in USA so it won't be certified no matter what.

    Cooler Master found an interesting loophole :)
  21. But what about the 25A which 7950 needs in 12v wouldn't that be a Problem?
  22. Abhi Singh said:
    But what about the 25A which 7950 needs in 12v wouldn't that be a Problem?


    I thought your psu was CM Thunder RS-500-ACAB-M3 which has 2 +12V rails with 24A and 21A
  23. ya but he said 7950 needs 25A on one 12v rail, or is it both combined? my PSU has 24A and 21A on 2 +12v rails
  24. It's both combined and it's 34A
  25. chimera201 said:
    It's both combined and it's 34A


    So it need 25A on both rails right?. or it needs 34A on both rails combined?

    i am sorry if am bothering you too much i am a little new to these things i have purchased a wrong graphic card and PSU at the time when i was upgrading my PC 3 months ago i bought a 2gb ddr3 graphic card hoping it will run all the games on high ,just wanna make sure everything goes right this time.
  26. 24A and 21A on that particular psu model gives 34A
  27. chimera201 said:
    24A and 21A on that particular psu model gives 34A


    and 7950 uses 25A right? it will be safe to use it?
  28. No 7950 requires 30A. I already said before all 3 cards will work. It will work , question is how long?
  29. Will it work for an year or so? any idea about that or guess how long it will it work?
  30. Bad power supplies aren't defined whether or not they'll deliver enough wattage. They are really defined by how consistent they perform within certain tolerances. A good power supply will deliver it's rated load(or more most likely) and still function well, while a bad one will probably deliver it's rated load but might fluctuate in it's tolerances, which could blow your system.

    This is the one part that never, ever gets a recommendation for a cheap part. I've seen cheaper ram recommended because of it's price, or a budget motherboard, or a slightly off brand video card or case, but never, ever do we tell anyone to buy a poorly designed/implemented PSU. It might work fine for the lifetime of your system, or it might burn out and take your system with it due to an electrical fluctuation.

    A good power supply doesn't have to be expensive. There are 650w psu's right now for less than 50 dollars US after mail in rebates, or 600w for less than 40 that will work for a budget system. Not something that we recommend with higher budgets, but the Corsair CX system is a solid unit for a good price and is generally the cheapest(both in cost and construction) unit that ever gets recommended.
  31. Quote:
    How long will it take for the capacitors to fail? That is something which depends on many variables. Bad voltage supply to the caps from a low quality, underpowered PSU without a UPS connected could decrease their life. Heat is another important factor, if you live in a hot climate your caps will not last so long. Also if your computer case is not adequately cooled, of small size or the heatsinks are covered with dirt then again the caps will have a shorter life. Extreme heat can even cause good capacitors to fail early. Furthermore the position of the CPU heatsink is also an issue, if it is hot and is so large that it is leaning against capacitors then those will blow first. Voltage requirements are also an issue, your faster cpu and motherboard chipset, your larger fans connected to the motherboard headers are all drawing more voltage than an inferior system and putting a strain on your capacitors. Overclocking is of course putting an extra strain on the capacitors and power supply.

    So think about cooling, having a large case with some good fans will prolong the life of all your system, not only the capacitors. Think about which components are causing the most heat. I have seen quiet Zalman power supplies with a quiet but poor fan making excessive heat. I have also seen lower end graphics cards without a fan on the heatsink making a huge amount of heat in the case. Correcting these excessive heat producing components by changing the fan of the PSU to a more efficient one, modding the graphics card to a larger heatsink and fan made a huge difference in the computer case, as did putting two exhaust fans from papst which blow a good amount of air and do not raise the noise level too much.

    So really nobody can say when your capacitors will fail if they are of bad manufacture. It could take months, a year or even 3 years if you are not stressing them. On the other hand capacitors from one of the trusted brands namely Rubycon, Sanyo, Nichicon, Panasonic are expected to last the useful life of the motherboard unless your case is extremely hot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Graphics