Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Proprietary Hardware Question

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 20, 2013 7:27:09 AM

i have a dell inspiron 660 i5 3330 with everything on the inside stock except for a gtx 660 and a 500w coolermaster. i just bought a core 3770 i7 to replace the i5 (both lga1155) iv only ever replaced the psu and gfx and while doing research online i see stuff about Proprietary hardware.. what i want to know is, is this computer considered Proprietary? will i have any problems installing the i7?
November 20, 2013 7:32:32 AM

if the sockets are both lga 1155 should i even be worried? i guess im worried that the motherboard wont be compliant but both CPU's are ivy bridge. sorry for the noobness
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 96 à CPUs
November 20, 2013 7:33:50 AM

you "shouldn't" as they are both Ivy bridge and shouldn't require a bios update, or any bios changes. I'm not really familiar with Dell's bios, but I can't imagine it locks down the mulis. I suspect it will recognize what is in there and fix the rest. Possible issues would be hyperthreading always off, and I guess technically it could run ad 3330 speeds, but I doubt either case would happen. I would be shocked if they have a separate bios for each cpu in a build. everything should just work.


EDIT: to answer your other question: If you were switching from sandy to Ivy I would say don't try it, but I would give you a very good chance of success with this upgrade.
Share
Related resources
November 20, 2013 7:44:06 AM

Supahos said:
you "shouldn't" as they are both Ivy bridge and shouldn't require a bios update, or any bios changes. I'm not really familiar with Dell's bios, but I can't imagine it locks down the mulis. I suspect it will recognize what is in there and fix the rest. Possible issues would be hyperthreading always off, and I guess technically it could run ad 3330 speeds, but I doubt either case would happen. I would be shocked if they have a separate bios for each cpu in a build. everything should just work.


EDIT: to answer your other question: If you were switching from sandy to Ivy I would say don't try it, but I would give you a very good chance of success with this upgrade.


ok thank you for your response i do appreciate it. so in other words, once i have this on the board, is it essentially plug and play? or are drivers needed like for a gpu? i assume thats what you meant by messing with the bios a little?. i do have the latest A10 bios
m
0
l
a c 96 à CPUs
November 20, 2013 7:51:03 AM

Yes it should be simply plug and play. Should recognize the I7, just check it with cpu-z after the fact and ensure it notices it is an I7, and that the MHZ are right (will probably sit at 16x multi at first just open a program and see if it jumps to teh right speed) as when they idle they run slower to save energy.
m
0
l
November 20, 2013 8:08:58 AM

Supahos said:
Yes it should be simply plug and play. Should recognize the I7, just check it with cpu-z after the fact and ensure it notices it is an I7, and that the MHZ are right (will probably sit at 16x multi at first just open a program and see if it jumps to teh right speed) as when they idle they run slower to save energy.


awesome, perhaps ill post back on this thread win i reach success (borat voice) gotta wait for it to get here from newegg lol, it was probably stupid of me to get it before i figured that much out about it, hopefully everything will come together nicely
m
0
l
a c 96 à CPUs
November 20, 2013 8:11:24 AM

Don't forget to ebay your other processor (or use it in another build) used processors are still worth pretty dang close to what they sell for new. You can easily get $100+ out of the old one once you know your new one works.
m
0
l
November 20, 2013 8:24:37 AM

Supahos said:
Don't forget to ebay your other processor (or use it in another build) used processors are still worth pretty dang close to what they sell for new. You can easily get $100+ out of the old one once you know your new one works.


thats not a bad idea actually, i will probably do that. i was thinking about maybe overclocking it but i guess that would take from the lifetime and value of it lol and it worked well for me while iv had it, iv seen a couple videos about hardware on par with current gen consoles and the 3330 is the pick for a few of them i was thinking a console this year and i realized how close it was and changed my mind back to PC master race lol. im also upgrading my gtx from a 2g 660 to a 4gb gtx760. i dont have enough room in my case to sli and i needed that VRAM lol
m
0
l
November 20, 2013 8:42:42 AM

Supahos said:
you "shouldn't" as they are both Ivy bridge and shouldn't require a bios update, or any bios changes. I'm not really familiar with Dell's bios, but I can't imagine it locks down the mulis. I suspect it will recognize what is in there and fix the rest. Possible issues would be hyperthreading always off, and I guess technically it could run ad 3330 speeds, but I doubt either case would happen. I would be shocked if they have a separate bios for each cpu in a build. everything should just work.


EDIT: to answer your other question: If you were switching from sandy to Ivy I would say don't try it, but I would give you a very good chance of success with this upgrade.


Supahos said:
Yes it should be simply plug and play. Should recognize the I7, just check it with cpu-z after the fact and ensure it notices it is an I7, and that the MHZ are right (will probably sit at 16x multi at first just open a program and see if it jumps to teh right speed) as when they idle they run slower to save energy.


do you think ill have an issue with the integrated graphics on the chip? i mean iv had the intel graphics drivers turned off since i got my 660
m
0
l
a c 96 à CPUs
November 20, 2013 12:27:22 PM

It should disable the integrated graphics since it will still know there is a Gpu in a pci slot.
m
0
l
!