Another i7 920 heat question

aCowbell

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I have seen so many threads about this on Tom's Hardware but every one seems to give a different answer.

I know the i7 920 is a pretty hot CPU to begin with, but after overclocking it to 3.33gHz (all I was willing to try with the 1333 RAM) it idles around 42-44 Celsius

I wanted to be sure it was stable so I ran the heat-intensive Prime95 torture test for about ten hours last night and my processor maxed out at about 82 degrees Celsius. When I turn off the torture, it instantly drops to 50 and works its way back down to idle temps.

I just upgraded my case to the Corsair Carbide 200R and have all 8 case fans arranged properly for airflow and have the Thermalright Ultra 120 for a heatsink.

With all this cooling, I can't figure out if it is just a particularly hot chip or if my overclock is wrong? I know Prime95 is meant to absolutely torture your cpu so it will never really reach that level of stress in everyday use... Still seems a little high and I just don't want to injure it

I'm in Canada so I'm sure it isn't an ambient temp issue...

Final question: 82 Celcius too high even when pounding the CPU with Prime95? Is it my OC?

Thank you all, Tom's Hardware has been so intensely useful during my most recent upgrade.

aCowbell

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I think I have actually solved this question myself by looking at 2 other threads. Will attempt to lower voltage and see if that helps.

Thanks for reading and for your interest, if you have a better suggestion I will leave the thread open