Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How can i separate Windows accounts from each other?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
November 20, 2013 6:47:08 PM

So my computer is shared by my family and i found out myself that they can access my account. I was on my dads account that he left logged in (only my account has a password to log in) and i found that if you open windows file explorer you can go to any location on my or any other account on this pc by this route: C:\Users\My Account\Desktop ,just replace desktop with any location like my documents, etc. I dont have anything to hide, but my parents arent tech or computer savvy at all and i feel that they might accidentally mess up my account or programs the way i set them up and where i placed my other programs and files.
Just fyi, my account and my parents accounts are all administrators because im sure it would make it easier for all of us.
So i want to know how i can make it so they cant access my account like the way i stated above. I believe that is happening because they are admin accounts, but i would rather keep them admin so they dont call me over everytime windows tells them they cant make a small change to the computer for some reason, and then i have to explain or enter my password and then they will ask what i have to hide, and blah blah blah.
Sorry for the long question, but i would enormously appreciate some help to this problem. Thanks!
a c 390 * Windows 8
November 20, 2013 7:02:12 PM

Quote:
Just fyi, my account and my parents accounts are all administrators because im sure it would make it easier for all of us.


That is the absolute wrong thing to do
There should be one and only one admin account. Everyone else, including you, should be using a regular User account for day to day use.

Admin account only when something needs to be installed or settings changed.

An Admin account can, by definition, access anything and everything on the PC.
m
0
l
November 20, 2013 7:05:50 PM

USAFRet said:
Quote:
Just fyi, my account and my parents accounts are all administrators because im sure it would make it easier for all of us.


That is the absolute wrong thing to do
There should be one and only one admin account. Everyone else, including you, should be using a regular User account for day to day use.

Admin account only when something needs to be installed or settings changed.

An Admin account can, by definition, access anything and everything on the PC.


Im aware of all that. I decided i would be an admin forsure because i am usually installing games to my own account and installing programs i want on my profile alone.
I also decided to make my parents' accounts have admin rights because like i stated already, i dont want to have to walk them through one windows prompt box everytime they download a word document or other work file from an email attachment

If i was to change our accounts to normal privilege rights, would it be possible to install programs and games to only my account and to the location i want? What about my parents downloading small files like word docs, pdf's, spreadsheets, etc from emails?could they still do that on normal privilege accounts without having to like provide an admin account password or something?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 390 * Windows 8
November 20, 2013 7:10:28 PM

DarkDubzs said:
USAFRet said:
Quote:
Just fyi, my account and my parents accounts are all administrators because im sure it would make it easier for all of us.


That is the absolute wrong thing to do
There should be one and only one admin account. Everyone else, including you, should be using a regular User account for day to day use.

Admin account only when something needs to be installed or settings changed.

An Admin account can, by definition, access anything and everything on the PC.


Im aware of all that. I decided i would be an admin forsure because i am usually installing games to my own account and installing programs i want on my profile alone.
I also decided to make my parents' accounts have admin rights because like i stated already, i dont want to have to walk them through one windows prompt box everytime they download a word document or other work file from an email attachment


As said...an Admin account can access and potentially screw up anything and everything on the box. That is the definition of "Admin".

And you (and they) should not be running as admin all the time. Anything they download, or any bogus website...is then running as admin. And can install whatever it likes.

Bad juju.
m
0
l
November 20, 2013 7:15:27 PM

USAFRet said:
DarkDubzs said:
USAFRet said:
Quote:
Just fyi, my account and my parents accounts are all administrators because im sure it would make it easier for all of us.


That is the absolute wrong thing to do
There should be one and only one admin account. Everyone else, including you, should be using a regular User account for day to day use.

Admin account only when something needs to be installed or settings changed.

An Admin account can, by definition, access anything and everything on the PC.


Im aware of all that. I decided i would be an admin forsure because i am usually installing games to my own account and installing programs i want on my profile alone.
I also decided to make my parents' accounts have admin rights because like i stated already, i dont want to have to walk them through one windows prompt box everytime they download a word document or other work file from an email attachment


As said...an Admin account can access and potentially screw up anything and everything on the box. That is the definition of "Admin".

And you (and they) should not be running as admin all the time. Anything they download, or any bogus website...is then running as admin. And can install whatever it likes.

Bad juju.


I know and i would switch them to regular privilege accounts.
Can you just help me on this question then:
"If i was to change our accounts to normal privilege rights, would it be possible to install programs and games to only my account and to the location i want? What about my parents downloading small files like word docs, pdf's, spreadsheets, etc from emails?could they still do that on normal privilege accounts without having to like provide an admin account password or something?"
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 390 * Windows 8
November 20, 2013 7:21:51 PM

Quote:
"If i was to change our accounts to normal privilege rights, would it be possible to install programs and games to only my account and to the location i want?


Yes. Just about every application I've ever seen gives the option to install where you want, and also the option for "Install for Everyone, or install for this user"

Quote:
What about my parents downloading small files like word docs, pdf's, spreadsheets, etc from emails?could they still do that on normal privilege accounts without having to like provide an admin account password or something?"


Normal User accounts will have their own "Documents" folder. Anything they save will go to that location. User A Documents is a different place than User B Documents.
Admin password is only needed to install an application, or change some device setting.

You should never operate as Admin on a day to day basis. Bad things can happen.
Only input the admin password when something asks, and you know why it is asking.
Share
November 20, 2013 7:36:31 PM

USAFRet said:
Quote:
"If i was to change our accounts to normal privilege rights, would it be possible to install programs and games to only my account and to the location i want?


Yes. Just about every application I've ever seen gives the option to install where you want, and also the option for "Install for Everyone, or install for this user"

Quote:
What about my parents downloading small files like word docs, pdf's, spreadsheets, etc from emails?could they still do that on normal privilege accounts without having to like provide an admin account password or something?"


Normal User accounts will have their own "Documents" folder. Anything they save will go to that location. User A Documents is a different place than User B Documents.
Admin password is only needed to install an application, or change some device setting.

You should never operate as Admin on a day to day basis. Bad things can happen.
Only input the admin password when something asks, and you know why it is asking.


Thanks. Just to make sure, what could go wrong if i switch our accounts to standard accounts and make one admin account with a password? Could we lose data or settings on our accounts if i change them to normal privilege accounts? I know its a dumb question, but i worry too much :lol: 
m
0
l
a c 390 * Windows 8
November 20, 2013 7:43:14 PM

DarkDubzs said:


Thanks. Just to make sure, what could go wrong if i switch our accounts to standard accounts and make one admin account with a password? Could we lose data or settings on our accounts if i change them to normal privilege accounts? I know its a dumb question, but i worry too much :lol: 


It will probably be OK, but try it just to be sure.

Create a new account, set up exactly the way yours are currently. Then change it to a User account. See what happens.
m
0
l
November 20, 2013 7:48:26 PM

USAFRet said:
DarkDubzs said:


Thanks. Just to make sure, what could go wrong if i switch our accounts to standard accounts and make one admin account with a password? Could we lose data or settings on our accounts if i change them to normal privilege accounts? I know its a dumb question, but i worry too much :lol: 


It will probably be OK, but try it just to be sure.

Create a new account, set up exactly the way yours are currently. Then change it to a User account. See what happens.


How do you mean set it up exactly the way mine is? Like with all the programs i have on my account or just make sure its admin, or what do you mean exactly?
m
0
l
a c 390 * Windows 8
November 20, 2013 7:50:34 PM

DarkDubzs said:
USAFRet said:
DarkDubzs said:


Thanks. Just to make sure, what could go wrong if i switch our accounts to standard accounts and make one admin account with a password? Could we lose data or settings on our accounts if i change them to normal privilege accounts? I know its a dumb question, but i worry too much :lol: 


It will probably be OK, but try it just to be sure.

Create a new account, set up exactly the way yours are currently. Then change it to a User account. See what happens.


How do you mean set it up exactly the way mine is? Like with all the programs i have on my account or just make sure its admin, or what do you mean exactly?


Create a new user with admin rights, exactly like your is. AdminGuy or whatever. Install something.
Then see if you can change it to a regular User.

See what happens.
m
0
l
!