FX-8350 vs i7-4770k for Handbrake High Profile

senrew

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Sorry for the huge amount of writing. Please bear with me as I'd really appreciate any help on this matter.

Yes, this seems to be just another generic "AMD vs Intel" thread, however, I have a very specific use that I can't find a direct comparison for anywhere, and I've tried looking.

I've been slowly ripping my considerable DVD/Blu-Ray collection (Over 3000 titles combined). My current machine is a 2 year old A8-3500M HP laptop that is frankly...atrocious at this. Average FPS runs about 25 or so on the High Profile preset. Every single one of the rips I've done in the past over the several machines I've upgraded through have used this preset and I have no intention of changing it as the files it outputs play perfectly on every device I typically use.

Most generic CPU benchmarks run some sort of short handbrake test using a video clip no more than a few minutes long and don't disclose their chosen settings. As a relative comparison, this works fine. "CPU A completes the encode with an average fps of xxx, CPU B with xxx." That's great for a quick look, but I was hoping for something more direct.

I've been wanting to return to using a desktop as my daily machine, relegating the laptop to an outside the house or couch device. Looking over reviews and other such things since about when Haswell was released, I've put together a decent little system on paper, however, I'd like someone to play devil's advocate for me and help me vette the system I priced out below against a comparable 8350-based system.

Full disclosure, this machine will be used for more than just Handbrake. I will be using it for video capture/editing of my older DOS and Win9x machines with some sort of VGA capture card (haven't chosen a specific device yet), along with somewhat modern gaming. My steam library has been growing and I haven't had a machine that would do the games justice yet. The recent WB/Deep Silver/etc... bundles at Humble Bundle have been too much to pass up.

Anyway, the parts I've priced are as follows as of today (20 Nov 2013) from newegg (in USD):

ASUS Z87-Pro (or V Edition, wifi is not important to me) -- $179.99
i7-4770k -- $319.99
Corsair H100i -- $109.99
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600 RAM -- $78.99
2x ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 (DirectCU II GTX 670 in SLi) -- $289.99 each
Seasonic X-850 80 Plus Gold -- $174.99
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD -- $134.99
Fractal Design Define R4 -- $109.99

Total = $1,398.92

My budget for this build would be about $1,500. I know I can build up a comparable FX-8350 for less, or about the same if I bump up the GPU selection a bit, or maybe double the RAM.

So, in summary, Handbrake requirement would be the first consideration, then video encoding, then modern gaming. Gaming would be done at 1920x1080 on a single 22 or 23" monitor, with other monitors reserved for other activities.

Does anyone have any kind of published average FPS rates in handbrake with these two CPUs either at stock or overclocked to whatever their average overclock is?

Or, should I wait and give each faction a chance to release their next iteration before jumping on either?

Solution
Hi,

1) The HANDBRAKE tests used make sense. I use 100% of the CPU power of my i7-3770K with the basic and advanced settings.

Some features might limit the number of threads used, but then that would apply to all processors. In fact, since the FX-8350 uses eight physical cores and the i7-4770K uses only four (plus hyperthreading) the i7 would do even better if you compare only two physical cores since it already wins with the roughly 25% boost the hyperthreading adds (over an i5-4670K).

2) Graphics:
I strongly recommend a single EVGA GTX780 3GB with ACX cooling (967MHz base). $500.

2x670's might get a higher score but the 780 would give a more consistent smooth experience, but quieter, and it also has 3GB. Your 670's offer only 2GB...
Hi,

1) The HANDBRAKE tests used make sense. I use 100% of the CPU power of my i7-3770K with the basic and advanced settings.

Some features might limit the number of threads used, but then that would apply to all processors. In fact, since the FX-8350 uses eight physical cores and the i7-4770K uses only four (plus hyperthreading) the i7 would do even better if you compare only two physical cores since it already wins with the roughly 25% boost the hyperthreading adds (over an i5-4670K).

2) Graphics:
I strongly recommend a single EVGA GTX780 3GB with ACX cooling (967MHz base). $500.

2x670's might get a higher score but the 780 would give a more consistent smooth experience, but quieter, and it also has 3GB. Your 670's offer only 2GB usable for the video framebuffer which soon won't be enough at this level of performance (you can already use more than 2GB for BF4 with the amount of processing power).

3) PSU:
If you get a single 780, there are some great 750W PSU's for about $100.

4) Cooling:
Liquid cooling can be problematic in removing airflow from near the CPU voltage regulators. Something to consider and investigate.

My recommendation is use a half-decent air cooler or get a board that supports putting the CPU heatsinks in the liquid cooling loop.

I like this $37 cooler. *Just look at the reviews, and it's adequate for the i7 at 4.2GHz (I recommend 4.2GHz as it can be done with no voltage changes and runs cool).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

5) RAM:
1600MHz will become a bottleneck for your setup. I can provide proof but I don't want to start a discussion. I recommend at least 1866MHz CAS9. It's about the same price.

Solution

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
the FX-8350 has only AVX

NO AVX2 so x264/ffmpeg can NOT take advantage of the 10%-30% encode speed improvement that it can with the 4770 or 4770k and AVX2 assembly SIMD and better multithreading you get with the current Haswell CORE

senrew

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, I'm pretty much set on the i7. This was more of a sanity check before I shell out the cash. The price difference in motherboard/cpu is not very far off between the two factions.

The 780 was my next choice on video cards, so that makes sense. Thanks guys.