Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need some help with new Gaming PC Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 21, 2013 1:19:32 AM

Hello, I am completely new to gaming PC builds and would like some input from someone more qualified than me.

This is the build I am looking to put together: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/25UZ1

Basically, I am on a $1000 budget and it will be my first attempt therefore I am not looking to build something high end by any means.

All I ask is that it run most games fairly well on ultra settings and has a long life duration. Also if anyone could suggest similar parts for lower prices or if something is out of place/won't work, I would very much appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

More about : gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2013 4:56:32 AM

Your build is alright but I completely changed it for my suggestion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($147.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: HP LV2311 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Wired Laser Mouse ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $976.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 07:47 EST-0500)

AMD is great for budgets, the 8320 is a down grade from the i5 but the price difference can go into the GPU which will give you better performance.

Much cheaper RAM. No draw backs, just lower cost.

1TB HDD for literally $2 more.

R9 280X is quite a bit more powerful than the 7870 you picked.

The CX line from corsair is sub par, the CXM line is alright. Also 600w for the same price as the 430w you picked.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2013 5:15:11 AM

This build may do -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($147.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($285.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer UM.WV6AA.A02 (V226HQL Abmd) 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($112.00 @ B&H)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 08:13 EST-0500)

It has a better quality chassis and has IMHO a better mouse. This GPU is about the same power as the R9 280X, for less and will still support future technologies e.g. AMD Mantle.
Share
Related resources
November 21, 2013 2:54:47 PM

dottorrent said:
This build may do -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($147.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($285.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer UM.WV6AA.A02 (V226HQL Abmd) 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($112.00 @ B&H)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 08:13 EST-0500)

It has a better quality chassis and has IMHO a better mouse. This GPU is about the same power as the R9 280X, for less and will still support future technologies e.g. AMD Mantle.


So I noticed both of you guys recommend getting the AMD FX-8320 instead of the i5 and spending more on a better GPU. Should I be worried about bottlenecking or will the performance difference be unnoticeable?

Btw, thank you FastGunna for the power supply and HDD suggestions. That saves me a ton for better parts!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2013 3:04:10 PM

wincope said:
dottorrent said:
This build may do -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($147.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($285.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer UM.WV6AA.A02 (V226HQL Abmd) 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($112.00 @ B&H)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 08:13 EST-0500)

It has a better quality chassis and has IMHO a better mouse. This GPU is about the same power as the R9 280X, for less and will still support future technologies e.g. AMD Mantle.


So I noticed both of you guys recommend getting the AMD FX-8320 instead of the i5 and spending more on a better GPU. Should I be worried about bottlenecking or will the performance difference be unnoticeable?

Btw, thank you FastGunna for the power supply and HDD suggestions. That saves me a ton for better parts!


Don't be worried. They're about par and should cause no such bottlenecks.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2013 3:18:31 PM

AMD FX-8320 and I5 are not on Par.
I5 is better for gaming.
It wouldn't make sense for a competitor to have an "on Par" product $50+ more expensive.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2013 3:24:03 PM

WarWolverineWarrior said:
AMD FX-8320 and I5 are not on Par.
I5 is better for gaming.
It wouldn't make sense for a competitor to have an "on Par" product $50+ more expensive.


Have you looked at the review done here on the AMD FX 83xx series? If not, you are clearly a fanboy.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2013 3:41:32 PM

dottorrent said:
WarWolverineWarrior said:
AMD FX-8320 and I5 are not on Par.
I5 is better for gaming.
It wouldn't make sense for a competitor to have an "on Par" product $50+ more expensive.


Have you looked at the review done here on the AMD FX 83xx series? If not, you are clearly a fanboy.


Yeah, 1st choice is Intel Unlocked series.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

I recommend AMD to Budget builds.
m
0
l
!