Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

A few questions about upgrading from a HD -> SSD card

Last response: in Storage
Share
November 21, 2013 6:02:44 AM

What kind of improvements will I notice If I upgraded my PCs Boot Device as a SSD instead of a HD? I heard the read / write speeds are much faster. Does this mean installing a program onto the SSD is much quicker? Also, I'd like to know a good SSD I can buy for around $300 and If it's really worth paying that much money for a storage device.

System Specs:
Video Card: 1x AMD Radeon HD 7850 1GB
Ram: Overkill 16GB 1600Mhz Ram
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LE
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k 4.3GHz overclock
Hard Drive: HITACHI 2TB 7.2K RPM 6GB/S SATA 3.5 INCH HARD DRIVE HDS723020BLA642

Please let me know the best I can get for $200-300. Also, can I mount it like I have my hard drive mounted? I have these brackets that allow me to slide the hard drive in / out I wonder If I can do the same with an SSD card
a c 298 G Storage
November 21, 2013 11:18:30 AM

Yes SSD's are much faster in terms of read/write speeds then a HDD. But if you want it for storage then it will have of no help. People use SSD as their boot device, and gets benefit.

Anyways if you still need a SSD for storage then go with this one :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($212.99 @ B&H)
Total: $212.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 14:17 EST-0500)

And yes the mounting will be the same as HDD.
m
0
l
November 21, 2013 6:54:58 PM

lonewolf7 said:
Yes SSD's are much faster in terms of read/write speeds then a HDD. But if you want it for storage then it will have of no help. People use SSD as their boot device, and gets benefit.

Anyways if you still need a SSD for storage then go with this one :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($212.99 @ B&H)
Total: $212.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 14:17 EST-0500)

And yes the mounting will be the same as HDD.


I need one that is 3.5" or 5.25"
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 298 G Storage
November 22, 2013 10:15:11 AM

3.5" is Desktop HDD and 5.25" is ODD(CD/DVD Drive).
m
0
l
November 23, 2013 8:48:34 AM

lonewolf7 said:
3.5" is Desktop HDD and 5.25" is ODD(CD/DVD Drive).


I'm using the haf 912 case which has 6x 3.5" bays and 4x 5.25" which ya is probably the DVD rom. So since most SSD cards are 2.5" form factor and I have a 3.5" drive bay I found something online which will allow me to mount a 2.5" SSD to a 3.5" bay.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

ULTRA HDD 3.5" to 2.5" Dual SSD/HDD Bay Adapter - SECC Steel, 4 x Hexagon Screws, 8 x SSD Screws, No SATA Cable (U12-43044)

I THINK this will fit in the haf 912 case. It does have the 4 holes on the left and right of it for support with my mounting brackets so this SSD card should actually do just fine! I hope (lol) correct me If I'm wrong
m
0
l
a c 298 G Storage
November 23, 2013 9:56:23 AM

Yes that will fit perfectly. But why do you want to buy such things ? I don't know if you have shortage on drive space or not !

Look at this link, and look for the specs and overview tabs, it has already the provision for SSD drives, you can have 4 SSD drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 24, 2013 8:26:51 AM

lonewolf7 said:
Yes that will fit perfectly. But why do you want to buy such things ? I don't know if you have shortage on drive space or not !

Look at this link, and look for the specs and overview tabs, it has already the provision for SSD drives, you can have 4 SSD drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Oh you're looking on newegg. I was looking on tigerdirect at my case and it said 4 5.25" Drive Bays and 6 3.5" bays. Thank you for telling me this. I was looking at a review for my case online and saw where the 2.5" bays are.

And no, I'm definitely not short on space. I have a 2TB HD with only 86GB used up. But doesn't an SSD make installing programs much faster because the large read / write speeds? Also, wouldn't opening an application be a bit faster (like a game) because the read speed is increased? I'm just trying to make my computer much faster.
m
0
l
a c 298 G Storage
November 24, 2013 9:21:04 AM

You got me completely wrong. I was talking about the space inside the case/cabinet and not the storage space on your HDD.

And (Internal 2.5" Drive Bays 2 + 2 converted from 5.25" bay), it means, the case already have the provision for 2 (2.5" drive bay's), if you need more than 2 SSD's then you can have them converted from 5.25" drive bay's with the help of supplied accessories. Get the case then you will know how to do it.

Here is a guide it may help you understand : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Cooler-Master-...

And here is a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQLfynpQDhE

Have faith on yourself, if a dumb one like me can do it, you can do it as well. Good luck.

m
0
l
November 24, 2013 9:38:50 AM

lonewolf7 said:
You got me completely wrong. I was talking about the space inside the case/cabinet and not the storage space on your HDD.

And (Internal 2.5" Drive Bays 2 + 2 converted from 5.25" bay), it means, the case already have the provision for 2 (2.5" drive bay's), if you need more than 2 SSD's then you can have them converted from 5.25" drive bay's with the help of supplied accessories. Get the case then you will know how to do it.

Here is a guide it may help you understand : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Cooler-Master-...

And here is a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQLfynpQDhE

Have faith on yourself, if a dumb one like me can do it, you can do it as well. Good luck.



-.- lol sorry about that. I thought you meant the space on my hard drive. Yeah, this video is kind of like the one I looked at on youtube. I know exactly where to install the SSD now. I'm just glad you told me that I didn't have to buy the converter because my case already has 2.5" bays! Thank you for your help. It's going to be really fast booting my PC now. Just have install my OS on the SSD

m
0
l
a c 298 G Storage
November 24, 2013 9:44:31 AM

You are welcome. Have fun. Good luck.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 9:39:40 PM

lonewolf7 said:
You are welcome. Have fun. Good luck.


I'm sorry for the late reply, but I was about to buy this SSD until I was reading the reviews on newegg for the SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series. Many people said that the drive has stopped working after a couple weeks / months. Do all SSDs do this? I thought they actually lasted longer than a HDD because they are newer and have no moving parts inside of them. I know they have warranty, but do you think it's worth getting one of these based on the reviews I've read? At first I thought the people writing those reviews just had defective ones but I looked online and found out that they don't have a long lifespan < 1 year
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 298 G Storage
December 2, 2013 9:29:29 AM

Hi, nothing to be sorry about, its better to take time deciding your components, and its a good way to know things by reading reviews, what other people are thinking blah blah blah.

Yes this is the real picture of todays world of electronics. They wont last long. But that doesn't mean they are that bad. It also depends on luck somewhat. So if you want to try your luck then go for one, else stick to HDD, old is gold. And SSD's are not a must thing to have. Good luck.
Share
a c 298 G Storage
December 3, 2013 9:00:23 AM

You are welcome.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 12, 2013 1:41:53 PM

Sorry for the ten day necro, but lonewolf, what in the world are you talking about?

OP, no, SSDs do not die in a matter of months. Just like hard drives, sometimes you get bad ones. However, an SSD will last you many YEARS... they also DO NOT FAIL suddenly like hard drives do (again, unless it was one that was bad right from the start, which you would be able to tell.) As an SSD ages, it will slowly lose storage capacity as cells die - so when it gets down to, say 70% of what it originally was, you know it's time to get a new one. But again, that's going to be years from now, not weeks or months.
m
0
l
a c 298 G Storage
December 13, 2013 4:27:27 AM

DarkSable, you got me wrong. I was talking about todays electronics, as how bad they are, and wont last long. They are as good as long the warranty is.

And unfortunately SSD is also another electronics product, and I have seen how fast they fail.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2013 11:00:03 AM

Ah, gotcha, sorry. I still disagree with you somewhat; if you buy reliable parts, they don't fail that quickly, at least not in my experience - it comes down to a matter of brands and quality control.

That being said, you are right - in order to find the reliable, built-like-a-tank parts anymore you have to do a LOT of hunting.
m
0
l
a c 298 G Storage
December 13, 2013 11:22:19 AM

Yes I agree with you on reliable and expensive parts, they wont fail that easy. Have a good day. Cheers.
m
0
l
!