FX 6300 vs 8350?

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I'm looking to build a budget rig, used exclusively for gaming. My ultimate goal is to build the best cost/performance rig possible, around ~$800 at max. However, if it's worth it, I do have a little more room in my budget.

Here is my build, if that's necessary to make a conclusion: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/26ebM

Basically, I just would like to hear opinions on whether the 8350 is worth the extra $80 compared to the 6300. The 6300 looks to be a great value, and I think it should age fairly well (maybe get me ~2-3 years of decent gaming?). But the 8350 does have quite a performance edge, even if the cost/performance ratio isn't nearly as good. Also, I shouldn't need the extra couple cores for just gaming, so it does seem to be somewhat of a waste.

The X-factor in all of this is Mantle. I'm not a Mantle expert, and I haven't really read up on it as much as I should have, but with support for up to 8 cores, could it leapfrog the 8350 over the 6300 in terms of value? Obviously they would both get a boost, but the 8350 should get a much more substantial one.

Anyway, let me know what you think about getting the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Solution
I would say more important is to get a Coolermaster 212 Evo or better as you need to overclock the FX CPUs to get the most from them and its a bitch to install one later As for Mantle I don't think anyone knows what impact it will have, it could flop and do nothing or be amazing.

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah, Mantle does seem to be a huge mystery, but with it coming out right around the corner I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knows something specific. But probably not likely.

My plan regarding cooling was to wait until my performance dropped off a bit, and then look to get an aftermarket cooler and start OCing. Is that not advisable?

CplusPlus2

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

DONT GET THE AUSUS GET THE GIGABYTE FOR YOUR GPU. Ok sorry about that but consider these two builds, both better setups for less money
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cplusplus/saved/2Tn9

the one below just has a significantly better case which will run you about $10 bucks more in the end.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/26jq8

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

I would highly recommend the 8350 for future proofing. The 8350 can handle SLI Titans or GTX 780 Ti's even with little to no overclocking needed. Also, the eight cores will come in very useful for when eventually games will need more cores and threads than what are usually needed now. I know you said it will be for gaming, but the more cores will also make it really smooth when using programs like Photoshop, After Effects, 3D rendering, etc. I think the deal breaker is that you can OC the 8350 way more than the 6300. Gaming and graphic intensive programs will always be much better with the 8350 vs the 6300, it will definitely be worth the extra $80.
Make sure to get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler for when you OC. Hope i helped

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I already purchased the Asus, and that was after considering the Gigabyte. Sure, it's nice that the Gigabyte comes OCed out of the box, but based on the benchmarks and reviews I've read it's far louder than the Asus. Plus the Asus is pretty much the best reviewed 280X.

So overall, I was more than happy to shell out the extra ~$10 to get what all the benchmarks say is a superior GPU.

Regarding the other areas, I'm still not sure what I'm going to go with in terms of memory and storage, so I may go with cheaper options there. As for the case, I received a couple recommendations to get the Corsair 300R, checked some reviews and it seemed like a well built case at a decent price. Why would I want the Challenger-U3 more?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

You should really get the 300R, it has great fan placements for also great airflow, and its spacious, not to mention the front panel USB 3.0. I wish i would have gotten it, actually. If you really want to pinch some pennies, you can get the NZXT Source 210 which is a great, cheaper altarnative. Its sturdy, has good airflow, very clean and basic.

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I agree with this to an extent. I like the 8350, and I think it will be better in terms of future-proofing. But in practical terms, how many more years of gaming will I actually get out of the 8350 compared to the 6300?

From my estimation I'll get ~3 years of decent gaming specs out of my build with OCing, and the 8350 might extend that an extra year. I just don't know if that's worth the extra $80. I'll think about it, and I definitely think your opinion has a lot of merit, but from a cost/benefit standpoint I'm just not sure if its worth it.

As for the cooling, should I just get one now? I was kind of leaning towards getting one next year when the performance begins to decline, and maybe I can get a better deal.

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Wow, that's pretty funny, hahaha! Those two are exactly the two cases I deliberated between when buying my case (I somehow forgot to mention I have already purchased the 300R).

I'm really glad to hear I made a good choice, I was very conflicted about which case I should purchase and decided to just go with the newer, higher quality one.

Thanks for your input, really puts my mind at ease.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

I agree 100% with you. I feel that with the $80 extra dollars it will just be better in the future, and i hear AMD will support the 8000 line for a while longer than the 6000 series, so thats always a good thing. Many benchmarks and reviews show the 8350 is a lot better just overall and that the 6300 actually lacks more graphic capabilities than it should. In the end, its all about what you can afford, and its your call.
For cooling, you cannot go wrong at all with a good old CM Hyper 212 Evo. Get one now, have yet to get one, but i hear and see that it is very annoying to install one afterwards. If you decide to install another cooler later on, you have to disconnect all wires from the mobo and take off the RAM, GPU, CPU, everything from the board. So you will basically tear your pc down and back up just to install it later.

Solution

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I've heard a lot of recommendations for the 8320, but in the benchmarks I just don't see the allure. It has slightly better performance (but worse OC) than the 6300, plus a couple extra cores that I likely won't utilize. Just doesn't seem like it's worth the extra $40, at least not for my build.

hillarysqt

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
it could flop and do nothing or be amazing.
04.jpg

I would fit the cooler straight away as its hard to do later without removing the motherboard, but if you are really short of cash you can do it later its just more hassle and I am lazy.

CplusPlus2

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

Why don't you watch a review? It's your pc choose what you think is best but mechanically and aesthetically the challenger wins. 3 fans including intake and outtake, a wonderful design inside and outside, also had an area at one side where you can put all your wires

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I only ask because case reviews can be difficult to find, plus its typically best to hear directly from the consumer. I agree that it looks like a good case, but I've already purchased the Corsair and I really like the look of it.

Are you saying its would be worth returning, for example, in order to get the Challenger-U3?

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

So an OCed 8320 could be as fast as the 8350? Or is it not fully unlocked?

Also, I've been very confused by the number of recommendations for the 8320. From all the benchmarks and reviews I've seen (and here's just one example), the 6300 is as good or better in all of the areas that I care about most (my only concern is gaming on this pc). Are you saying that the OCing on the 8320 is far better than what I've been seeing in reviews?

As ewok93 said, the 8320 is the 8350 with a lower stock clock. You can overclock it to 8350 speeds easily, with a lower ceiling of CC of about 0.1GHz, which is negligible.

The 6300 is essentially the same chip as the 8320 but with 2 less cores. If you can afford it you might as well get the 8320. Also don't follow CPUBoss, IMO a useless composition of synthetic test comprised in one site.

As for current games, the 8320 and 6300 will perform basically the same. If new games start using more and more threads the 8320 will perform better, as it performs better in games like Crysis 3 and BF4 (I believe, BF4 may have been specifically optimised for the 6300, I forget).

So either the 6300/8320 would be fine. Up to you.

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I'll certainly consider it. The extra cores do seem to be a huge future-proofing advantage. I was waiting for a better deal on the 6300 anyway, so if I can find the 8320 at a decent price within my budget, I'll likely purchase it.

dragonborn123

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Kaveri is intriguing, but I'm not really looking for an APU, plus I have no idea what its launch price will be. I'd likely need to wait a few months to get it at a decent price, which considering that it comes out in January just isn't very appealing to me, especially because I've already purchased a good portion of my build.

CplusPlus2

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

no way! If you already have a case you're good, honestly the case should be an afterthought. I guess the cooling is a nice thing but that ship has sailed, you should be good anyways.