Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Any suggestions on how to improve this gaming PC build?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 22, 2013 8:13:54 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/EricM88/saved/2TH4

i want the total price to be under $1300 (including the keyboard, mouse and monitor).

Is this a good build? Can it be improved in anyway? And also, do you think the prices will drop on black Friday or cyber Monday.

More about : suggestions improve gaming build

Best solution

November 22, 2013 8:36:48 AM

I have made some changes
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($323.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1264.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 11:36 EST-0500)


OR


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($323.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower Case ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1287.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 11:40 EST-0500)
Share
a b 4 Gaming
November 22, 2013 8:39:04 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($168.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1283.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
Related resources
November 23, 2013 9:00:57 AM

ksham said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($168.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1283.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


can you explain why this is better? do i need to spend $200 on a cpu? and how did you get that price? im getting over 1300 on pcpartpicker.
m
0
l
November 23, 2013 9:02:48 AM

Jenish J said:
I have made some changes
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($323.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1264.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 11:36 EST-0500)


OR


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($323.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower Case ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1287.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 11:40 EST-0500)


can you explain why these are better? And how are you getting that price? i am getting over $1300 on pcpartpicker
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 23, 2013 11:08:31 AM

1. The i5 is stronger than the FX series in terms of gaming. It has less cores than the FX models, but each core is stronger. And most games today still only use about 2 cores, so having stronger individual cores is useful. But the two extra cores in the FX-6300 enables you to run more apps simultaneously due to having two more active threads available. Of course, it's not a big deal. I don't know why you are asking if you NEED a $200 CPU. It fits your budget and it is an improvement when it comes to gaming, so I did it.

2. My motherboard is better than the one you have. It's a solid motherboard. Some people skim out on a quality motherboard, but it's an important component. I will say that @"Jenish J" motherboard, Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 is not a good motherboard compared to its non-LE version brother. The LE has no heatsink on the VRM, only a 4-pin CPU socket, and no USB 3.0 ports.

3. The PSU that I chose is better. It's fully modular and it can support CrossFireX R9 280X. Your PSU is on middle grounds. The Corsair CX models are not the top-line PSUs from Corsair. The PSU is built for basic systems, not high performance builds like a gaming rig. So it does not handle stress very well. While it can handle a single R9 280X, it cannot handle two of them. So less future-proof there.

4. The monitor that I chose, while only 1" smaller (negligible), is an IPS monitor. I has better clarity and picture quality. It has a slightly slower response time, but you will not notice the difference between 5ms and 2ms (a difference of 3ms) response times.

5. The keyboard is mostly a personal preference, but the one you selected is a bit overpriced for what you get out of it. So I got you a good gaming keyboard and invested the money saved to improve other aspects that will give you more or better performance in gaming.
m
0
l
November 24, 2013 9:15:21 PM

EricM88 said:
Jenish J said:
I have made some changes
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($323.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1264.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 11:36 EST-0500)


OR


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($323.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower Case ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1287.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 11:40 EST-0500)


can you explain why these are better? And how are you getting that price? i am getting over $1300 on pcpartpicker


Well, the Gtx 770 is one of the best cards available now. you can play most games at max settings.
The cpu which i choose is for that budget you had is better performing.
Asus motherboards are more of my personal favorite, as it has lot of expansion slots and long life, and reliable. It was the best for that price tag.
I chose a Atx full tower case, so you wont be facing problems related to lack of space, and personally like that too, thats why i gave these products.
But if you are considering investing a little more then, i suggest you get an i5 processor with a compatible motherboard, as it performs better than FX series in single and multicore performance.
m
0
l
!