Solved

Possible Bad Power Supply?

Today, while I was on my computer, I walked away, came back with my phone, plugged up said phone and the entire thing cut off. I can't get it to turn back on at all. I have tired other outlets in my house, turned the I/O switch on the PSU on and off, tried other cables for it and nothing has changed.

I figured if it was a different hardware problem, a light would at least turn on, but I could be wrong.

The PSU I have is a CX750M and before I shell out the cash, I need to know if there are some steps I can take to be sure it is a bad PSU, and if it is, if I should shoot for a 800 watt PSU or replace the one I have with the exact same model.

(If I should upgrade, any recommendations for a 800 watt modular PSU would be nice)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bad power supply
  1. Sure it could be the power supply, but it's not necessarily so. Troubleshooting steps that you can do in no particular order:

    1) Make sure all of the PS power connectors are plugged into the motherboard - they probably are, but it's easy.

    2) Do you have any other machines or power supplies? You could try swapping one (or both) to the other...

    3) Remove all PCI components & RAM from your machine & unplug all Drives. See if it will power up at all. If so, replace RAM, repeat. Then Drives, repeat. The PCI/Expansion cards. NOTE: This is by far the least likely way to yield worthwhile results, but I've seen some strange behavior in my time from PC's. Also if you have a known good (but less powerful) power supply you may have to remove your vid card(s) anyway to test...

    What are you running in your PC (CPU, # of drives, VidCards), and do you have a budget limit for you modular PS?
  2. Paul Tomato said:
    Sure it could be the power supply, but it's not necessarily so. Troubleshooting steps that you can do in no particular order:

    1) Make sure all of the PS power connectors are plugged into the motherboard - they probably are, but it's easy.

    2) Do you have any other machines or power supplies? You could try swapping one (or both) to the other...

    3) Remove all PCI components & RAM from your machine & unplug all Drives. See if it will power up at all. If so, replace RAM, repeat. Then Drives, repeat. The PCI/Expansion cards. NOTE: This is by far the least likely way to yield worthwhile results, but I've seen some strange behavior in my time from PC's. Also if you have a known good (but less powerful) power supply you may have to remove your vid card(s) anyway to test...

    What are you running in your PC (CPU, # of drives, VidCards), and do you have a budget limit for you modular PS?


    My current setup:
    2 PNY GTX 770s (SLI'd)
    1 250GB SSD for the OS
    1 1TB HDD
    i5-4670k Quad Core
    8GB of RAM
    Gigabyte Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard

    My budget for a new PSU is maybe 100 or so bucks, 150 dollars at the most.

    I have tried removing everything from the PSU and it didn't change the situation at all. I also don't have any other PCs in my home with a PSU I can connect to it.
  3. Googlin' confirmed that most people advised a minimum of 850W (w/a 62+ amp 12V rail) - Iv'e seen reviews where a single 770 pulled over 350w !! Personally, I might even look at a 900+ but I tend to use a system for several years.

    In terms of recommending a power supply, I usually search newegg & frys (the only retailer worth looking at locally for me). Newegg for good prices and ratings, Fry's more for availability if I need it FAST.

    I searching Newegg for Lowest Price and Best Rating. Very few supplies have 5 star ratings - even seasonics. If you want a FULLY modular PSU then you're going to have a limited selection in your budget range. If you're willing to use a patially modular unit then you'll have more options.


    Fully Modular Items:

    BEST BANG FOR $:
    OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply $149.99 (BEFORE $20 rebate) +FREE Shipping:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341044

    The One that you should probably buy:
    CORSAIR RM Series RM850 $159.99 + $6.99 shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139056


    If you're willing to go with a partially modular PSU that expands your options:

    Best Bang for the $:
    COOLMAX ZU Series ZU-900B 900W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply: $99.99 +$7.99 shipping (BEFORE $30 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159131

    Best quality:
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Modular Power Supply features 100% Nippon Chemi-Con Capacitors compatible with Intel Haswell Core i3/i5/i7 and AMD Phenom $169.99 (Before $10 rebate) FREE shipping

    VGood Quality:
    CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $149.99 FREE shipping (BEFORE $20 rebate)

    SeaSonic M12II 850 SS-850AM 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply $134.99 + $5.99 shipping (before $20 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

    There are others. This is simply a startiing point - Good Luck!!
  4. Hunter Ashpole-1386090 said:
    Paul Tomato said:
    Sure it could be the power supply, but it's not necessarily so. Troubleshooting steps that you can do in no particular order:

    1) Make sure all of the PS power connectors are plugged into the motherboard - they probably are, but it's easy.

    2) Do you have any other machines or power supplies? You could try swapping one (or both) to the other...

    3) Remove all PCI components & RAM from your machine & unplug all Drives. See if it will power up at all. If so, replace RAM, repeat. Then Drives, repeat. The PCI/Expansion cards. NOTE: This is by far the least likely way to yield worthwhile results, but I've seen some strange behavior in my time from PC's. Also if you have a known good (but less powerful) power supply you may have to remove your vid card(s) anyway to test...

    What are you running in your PC (CPU, # of drives, VidCards), and do you have a budget limit for you modular PS?


    My current setup:
    2 PNY GTX 770s (SLI'd)
    1 250GB SSD for the OS
    1 1TB HDD
    i5-4670k Quad Core
    8GB of RAM
    Gigabyte Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard

    My budget for a new PSU is maybe 100 or so bucks, 150 dollars at the most.

    I have tried removing everything from the PSU and it didn't change the situation at all. I also don't have any other PCs in my home with a PSU I can connect to it.


    Paul Tomato said:
    Googlin' confirmed that most people advised a minimum of 850W (w/a 62+ amp 12V rail) - Iv'e seen reviews where a single 770 pulled over 350w !! Personally, I might even look at a 900+ but I tend to use a system for several years.

    In terms of recommending a power supply, I usually search newegg & frys (the only retailer worth looking at locally for me). Newegg for good prices and ratings, Fry's more for availability if I need it FAST.

    I searching Newegg for Lowest Price and Best Rating. Very few supplies have 5 star ratings - even seasonics. If you want a FULLY modular PSU then you're going to have a limited selection in your budget range. If you're willing to use a patially modular unit then you'll have more options.


    Fully Modular Items:

    BEST BANG FOR $:
    OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply $149.99 (BEFORE $20 rebate) +FREE Shipping:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341044

    The One that you should probably buy:
    CORSAIR RM Series RM850 $159.99 + $6.99 shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139056


    If you're willing to go with a partially modular PSU that expands your options:

    Best Bang for the $:
    COOLMAX ZU Series ZU-900B 900W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply: $99.99 +$7.99 shipping (BEFORE $30 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159131

    Best quality:
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Modular Power Supply features 100% Nippon Chemi-Con Capacitors compatible with Intel Haswell Core i3/i5/i7 and AMD Phenom $169.99 (Before $10 rebate) FREE shipping

    VGood Quality:
    CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $149.99 FREE shipping (BEFORE $20 rebate)

    SeaSonic M12II 850 SS-850AM 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply $134.99 + $5.99 shipping (before $20 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

    There are others. This is simply a startiing point - Good Luck!!


    Is it possible to buy one of those power supplies and just swap out the PSU without having to rewire my case?
  5. Best answer
    If your original power supply is fully modular, and the new one is and the replacement uses the same connections with the EXACT SAME wiring then you could, otherwise you'd have to pull the old wiring out. Usually, the only thing that makes that difficult is if the CPU cooling fan gets in the way of some of the connections.

    If your system's cables are bundled w/tie-wraps, just buy some more tie-wraps if you don't have any - they're cheap.

    It's not hard to rewire everything - just make sure that you're using the correct cables - some of the 4-pronged ones look very similar. Just remove and replace the connections from the system board, video cards, fan power cords (if applicable) and the drives, etc. one at a time. Just be sure to note how the clips on the SysBoard connectors are oriented, and that you should never have to use a LOT of pressure to make them fit.

    If you look closely, you will see that the connectors have 4, 6, 8,20 and/or 24 pins, and that they do not all have the same shape. Some are square, some are not - this is to prevent insertion of the wrong cable or the correct cable in an incorrect orientation. This is mainly what you need to note on the 4-pin plugs on many motherboards - there are more than one type, but all arranged in a 2x2 pattern!

    Good Luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Phones Power Supplies Components