Get another r9 290 or keep my 770 and get g-synch

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I returned my r9 290 because the package had been tampered with, it also had coil whine which i couldn't handle.
I have a 60hz 1080p monitor now. I do play lots of counter strike and BF4, so 144hz would be beneficial. The monitor i'm looking at - ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00B2HH7G0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
It's up gradable to g-synch
I like the idea of mantle, but i hate the possible fragmentation it's going to bring into the market.
I'm a graphics whore and love to turn settings up on ultra. Which i wont be able to do with a 144hz monitor, i would want as much fps as possible.
Which should i get?
I wouldn't mind turning the settings down to high.

Does g-synch only get rid of screen tearing? I care more about smoothness than tearing.
Any help is appreciated!

Solution
G-Sync vs Mantle:

Mantle is exciting but adoption will be very slow. Consider that most game in 2014 will have been a few years in development and that Mantle is very young with minimal support. Also factor the issue of cross-platform and NO SUPPORT for Mantel on XB1/PS4.

G-Sync simply works on every old and new game.

G-Sync also works so well that even if Mantle gave a 30% boost to a particular game, the experience might be better via G-Sync at a lower frame rate.

In fact, G-Sync is incredibly smooth at even 40FPS. Additionally, G-SYNC is the ONLY solution which can solve the main issues:
a) lag
b) stutter/jutter
c) screen tearing.

Although some stutter isn't solvable by G-Sync and is just bad code that bogs down the entire PC...
if your monitor supports gsync, then definitely go with nvidia without a doubt. vsync removes screen tearing, g sync is the same as vsync, but has a variable refresh rate. example, vsync with 60hz monitor you can have 60fps, or half of its refresh, 30fps, or half again 15fps etc. with g-sync, the fps doesnt have to lock into divisible numbers of your monitors refresh rate, as the refresh rate changes with the fps. this alows for smooth vsynced frames that is completely variable with your fps. so if your gpu is capable of displaying a smooth 40fps, it does not have to lock down to 30fps to match a refresh rate, it sits at 40, or whatever the number is. meaning you get smooth playable framerates, no tearing, without having to have gpu power to keep the fps as high.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

I would be able to get a better monitor if i don't get another 290.
The monitor i have now doesn't tear, atleast i don't notice it.
What would you do?
Grab a better monitor(upgradable to g-synch) or get the r9 290?

redeemer

Distinguished
I would actually wait until G-Sync is out in retail and can be reviewed, everyone is acting like its the best thing since sliced bread a bit premature if you ask me. Hawaii is faster clock for clock over Kepler however there are issues with reference models and aftermarket is still weeks away. You cannot go wrong with a GTX 780 at this time, drivers are mature and it will eventually compliment your monitor (G-Sync).

Mantle API is another tech to consider btw

G-Sync vs Mantle:

Mantle is exciting but adoption will be very slow. Consider that most game in 2014 will have been a few years in development and that Mantle is very young with minimal support. Also factor the issue of cross-platform and NO SUPPORT for Mantel on XB1/PS4.

G-Sync simply works on every old and new game.

G-Sync also works so well that even if Mantle gave a 30% boost to a particular game, the experience might be better via G-Sync at a lower frame rate.

In fact, G-Sync is incredibly smooth at even 40FPS. Additionally, G-SYNC is the ONLY solution which can solve the main issues:
a) lag
b) stutter/jutter
c) screen tearing.

Although some stutter isn't solvable by G-Sync and is just bad code that bogs down the entire PC.

Why do people get 144Hz screens?
Mainly so they can synch at that rate to minimize the LAG caused by VSYNC. The higher the refresh rate, the faster the buffer is updated. However, it only works if you can output OVER 144FPS and we all know that's hard or requires really expensive hardware.

Many people have complained that G-Sync adds to the cost of the monitor. Of course it does. However when you consider many might get the entire monitor rather than add a more expensive, or second card it almost pays for itself (and supposedly it only adds $150 and they'll get the price down).

NVidia is also considering a LICENSING arrangement though I highly doubt AMD cards will get this for a long time. I think we might see HDTV's with this though in the short term.

Solution