Solved

Motherboard Compatible with AMD R9 280X

I recently bought an AMD R9 280X GPU, only to find out that it was not compatible with my current PC. I have a Dell XPS 8300 and it seems like Dell is no longer updating the BIOS, so I will not be able to use my new GPU. I don't have the money to build a completely new rig, however I have some spare change to buy an aftermarket mobo and possibly a case.

I have the following parts available to transfer to the other motherboard, a DVD Drive, 1TB 7,200 RPM Hard Drive, a 600W PSU, and 6GB of DDR3 RAM (and of course my new R9 280X GPU). I am hoping that all of these will work in an aftermarket motherboard because I do not want to have any issues.

Can anyone suggest a motherboard that can be used to fit all of these parts? Preferably I would like to stay under $120.00 for the motherboard and if a decent case can be paired with this mobo for under $200.00, I'd consider it.

In case it helps, my current PC has a Dell 0Y2MRG mobo. Thank you.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard compatible amd 280x
  1. ur gonna need new ram. unless u wanna run single channel and that kills performance. id shoot for 260$ for mobo.cpu.ram.
  2. iceclock said:
    ur gonna need new ram. unless u wanna run single channel and that kills performance. id shoot for 260$ for mobo.cpu.ram.



    Alright sounds good. Any suggestions by any chance?
  3. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qwI
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qwI/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qwI/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($91.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($74.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $249.94
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 22:50 EST-0500)

    all u need mang and overclocking ready :)
  4. iceclock said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qwI
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qwI/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qwI/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($91.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($74.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $249.94
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 22:50 EST-0500)

    all u need mang and overclocking ready :)



    Wow, looks excellent. Is there any way that I could save myself some moola and use my i5-2320 (3.0 GHZ) or is the A8 amazingly better? Also, will I have any issues with any of my spare parts (HDD, GPU, DVD Drive, etc) or will it all be compatible? I am new at all of this so I'm sorry for being so apprehensive lol.
  5. oh well u dint mention u got a i5 2320 now i just need ram. and mobo. here

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qZH
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qZH/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qZH/benchmarks/

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $187.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 23:02 EST-0500)

    everything looking nice.
  6. Best answer
    Yes it's looking nice. Thanks so much. This will supply my triple monitor gaming for FFXIV :D
  7. iceclock said:
    oh well u dint mention u got a i5 2320 now i just need ram. and mobo. here

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qZH
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qZH/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27qZH/benchmarks/

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $187.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 23:02 EST-0500)

    everything looking nice.




    Any suggestions for a case to go with this motherboard?
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Compatibility Motherboards AMD