Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

laptop gpu upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 25, 2013 5:09:45 AM

Hey guys,

I have a dell vostro 5470 laptop, with an i5-4200u, 8gb ram , and a 128gb ssd(have external hard drive), my only concern is my gpu, a 740m 64-bit edition, so I ran gpu-z and got that my gpu is running in a pci 2.0 x4 slot, so can I upgrade, and if I can, what decent gpu can i get for around 100$ that will out perform my 740m, and will I be experiencing any bottleneck issues, and most important, will an mobile gpu that support pcie x4 3.0 work with a pcie x4 2.0?

thanks

More about : laptop gpu upgrade

a b D Laptop
November 25, 2013 5:16:23 AM

It is a laptop so it does not have a graphics card it is built onto the motherboard. It still runs on the PCI-E bus but you can't just buy a graphics card to replace it sorry you are stuck with the one that the laptop came with period.
November 25, 2013 5:21:45 AM

The 740m is quite good for a laptop GPU. PCI 2.0 x4 shouldnt bottleneck it.
Related resources
November 25, 2013 5:28:41 AM

bryonhowley said:
It is a laptop so it does not have a graphics card it is built onto the motherboard. It still runs on the PCI-E bus but you can't just buy a graphics card to replace it sorry you are stuck with the one that the laptop came with period.


weird, because I found some mxm cards out there
November 25, 2013 5:28:42 AM

bryonhowley said:
It is a laptop so it does not have a graphics card it is built onto the motherboard. It still runs on the PCI-E bus but you can't just buy a graphics card to replace it sorry you are stuck with the one that the laptop came with period.


weird, because I found some mxm cards out there, but they cost as much as a decent gaming desktop would
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2013 5:40:49 AM

ahaimour1224 said:
bryonhowley said:
It is a laptop so it does not have a graphics card it is built onto the motherboard. It still runs on the PCI-E bus but you can't just buy a graphics card to replace it sorry you are stuck with the one that the laptop came with period.


weird, because I found some mxm cards out there, but they cost as much as a decent gaming desktop would


Well yes that is true some of the very high end laptops you can change the GPU but as you noted they are quite expensive. I did not see on any of the reviews that your laptop could though I did not look very long. In anycase as you said they are very high priced. Plus the 740m is still good for a laptop.
November 25, 2013 6:18:18 AM

bryonhowley said:
ahaimour1224 said:
bryonhowley said:
It is a laptop so it does not have a graphics card it is built onto the motherboard. It still runs on the PCI-E bus but you can't just buy a graphics card to replace it sorry you are stuck with the one that the laptop came with period.


weird, because I found some mxm cards out there, but they cost as much as a decent gaming desktop would


Well yes that is true some of the very high end laptops you can change the GPU but as you noted they are quite expensive. I did not see on any of the reviews that your laptop could though I did not look very long. In anycase as you said they are very high priced. Plus the 740m is still good for a laptop.


btw what do you think of this build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27AAo
November 25, 2013 6:26:57 AM

ahaimour1224 said:
bryonhowley said:
ahaimour1224 said:
bryonhowley said:
It is a laptop so it does not have a graphics card it is built onto the motherboard. It still runs on the PCI-E bus but you can't just buy a graphics card to replace it sorry you are stuck with the one that the laptop came with period.


weird, because I found some mxm cards out there, but they cost as much as a decent gaming desktop would


Well yes that is true some of the very high end laptops you can change the GPU but as you noted they are quite expensive. I did not see on any of the reviews that your laptop could though I did not look very long. In anycase as you said they are very high priced. Plus the 740m is still good for a laptop.


btw what do you think of this build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27AAo


Not bad for a budget build. Change the 1x8Gb for 2x4Gb though, otherwise you wont get dual channel.

Raidmax are of questionable quality though.
November 25, 2013 6:48:00 AM

RobCrezz said:
ahaimour1224 said:
bryonhowley said:
ahaimour1224 said:
bryonhowley said:
It is a laptop so it does not have a graphics card it is built onto the motherboard. It still runs on the PCI-E bus but you can't just buy a graphics card to replace it sorry you are stuck with the one that the laptop came with period.


weird, because I found some mxm cards out there, but they cost as much as a decent gaming desktop would


Well yes that is true some of the very high end laptops you can change the GPU but as you noted they are quite expensive. I did not see on any of the reviews that your laptop could though I did not look very long. In anycase as you said they are very high priced. Plus the 740m is still good for a laptop.


btw what do you think of this build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27AAo


Not bad for a budget build. Change the 1x8Gb for 2x4Gb though, otherwise you wont get dual channel.

Raidmax are of questionable quality though.


I know about the raidmax but I'm on a super tight build so if you know of a better psu then please go ahead.... about the 8gb will it matter performance wise if I get 2x4 or 1x8, I was thinking of future upgrade so 2x8 but for now what are the advantages of 2x4 or 1x8
!