Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need opinions on gaming PC build (1000 budget)

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 25, 2013 1:53:16 PM

Hey guys, I'm joining the pc world after the expensive consoles that are coming out. I need a good, reliable pc that will last me for awhile. I've picked this build:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadvanquish.asp?...

I find it a good build for a great price. I know lots of you will recommend me building my own. I would rather buy a pre built one, but I will take ANY suggestions. If you do suggest a build, please include the OS.

Thanks
November 25, 2013 2:03:12 PM

Are you CRAZZZY dude? Never buy a pre-made PC! Build your own, it's really not that hard and you can save hundreds! Building that yourself you could get a 770 instead of a 760.

Buy if you really want to go with it, it seems good.
November 25, 2013 2:05:26 PM

Slimesh said:
Are you CRAZZZY dude? Never buy a pre-made PC! Build your own, it's really not that hard and you can save hundreds! Building that yourself you could get a 770 instead of a 760.

Buy if you really want to go with it, it seems good.
Could you give me a good build for $1000 with the OS included?

Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
November 25, 2013 2:06:52 PM

This is a suggestion of what you can do with your grand:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1009.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-25 17:06 EST-0500)
November 25, 2013 2:07:58 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: BitFenix Ghost (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.78 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1009.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-25 17:07 EST-0500)

Here you go, a bit cheaper but still quite a bit better.
Feel free to swap out the case, i just selected it because i is in my opinion the best looking case on the market at the moment.
November 25, 2013 2:08:46 PM

Oh god, kinda busy, but I'll got you in the main components.

Now you really want to go with AMD at this point in time. It'll give you better performance in editing, streaming and gaming.

CPU: AMD FX 8350
Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo
a b 4 Gaming
November 25, 2013 2:11:34 PM

You have a processor that cant be overclocked in a motherboard designed for overclocking

The website is suspicious to me because theyre going to ship it within 72 hours .
But they 72 hours starts 3 days after they take 3 days to process your order , and in that time theyre going to run a pointless 72 hour stress test
What?

If you get Windows 8 instead you get
1/ a longer support life
2/ a better license that lets you transfer it to another computer . Win 7 is locked to the first mb
3/ its easy to add a start button
November 25, 2013 2:13:23 PM

I forgot to mention, :p  I'm canadian, if you can get me a $1000 in CAD that would be awesome :)  sorry.
November 25, 2013 2:16:14 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.84 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($307.29 @ DirectCanada)
Case: BitFenix Ghost (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($17.50 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1085.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-25 17:15 EST-0500)

It will be a bit more expensive but again, just swap out the case for a cheaper one that you like and it's hopefully within your budget.
November 25, 2013 2:19:32 PM

That is actually a pretty good price for a pre-built rig. I built it to the same specifications as follows and you'd only save around $100 if you built it yourself.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/28unv) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/28unv/by_merchant/) / [Benchmarks](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/28unv/benchmarks/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54570) | $194.99 @ NCIX US
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-r...) | $29.98 @ OutletPC
**Motherboard** | [Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z87c) | $132.98 @ SuperBiiz
**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m2a1...) | $79.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-driv...) | $59.98 @ OutletPC
**Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42763k...) | $249.95 @ Amazon
**Case** | [Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300r) | $59.99 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600) | $54.99 @ Microcenter
**Optical Drive** | [LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-optical-drive-gh24ns95) | $19.98 @ OutletPC
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-gfc02050) | $82.99 @ NCIX US
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. | $965.82
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-25 17:10 EST-0500 |

Personally I would build it myself but only for the fun involved.

If I say anything I would advise an upgrade to a 4GB 760 as opposed to the 2GB model. As games are getting continually more ram intensive, the amount of ram need is easily exceeding the 2GB limit. For instance, BF4 can easily use up 3GB of ram played on max settings.

This build will do great for the next couple of years and you can always upgrade yout GPU or CPU when the times comes.
November 25, 2013 2:29:06 PM

Which is the best rig for gaming bf4 1080p on ATLEAST medium?
November 25, 2013 2:30:45 PM

Magiikkkk said:
Which is the best rig for gaming bf4 1080p on ATLEAST medium?


Any of them, but nothing beats the feeling; "i've built this and it runs bf4!!!"
November 25, 2013 2:31:04 PM

The suggested builds are all pretty much the same on key components, and they're all great. However, considering you are Canadian and these builds will be closer to $1100 than $1000, the easiest way to cut back costs without any difference in performance is pertaining to whether to intend to overclock. The original build you were looking at used a locked processor, which leads me to believe you did not intend to overclock. If this is true, than you should get another Haswell i5 processor without the "K" suffix, which you pay extra for because it is unlocked for overclocking. Pair this with a cheaper "H87" motherboard, and you could bank some tidy savings without any lost performance, that is of course assuming that you do not intend to overclock.

If you DO want to overclock than I suggest checking out Tom's "Best cpu's of the month" articles. These monthly releases have asserted (for many many months now) that in the mid range i5 processor market, you get far more value with an ivey bridge i5 3570k than the Haswell 4670k. Haswell has very little actual compute improvements, most of it's development went into improving power efficiency (important for laptop battery life) and the intel 4600 integrated graphics (you've got a discreet gpu). You can save money going ivey bridge and Z77 instead of Haswell and Z87, plus ivey bridge has cooler overclocking than haswell.

Best solution

November 25, 2013 2:47:06 PM
Share

This build would cost $1019 Canadian.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/leigh15/saved/2VOO

I posted it before. It is true that the difference between Haswell and Ivy is negligible.

Here is that same build with Ivy:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/leigh15/saved/2VQj

It goes for $995.15



November 25, 2013 2:48:03 PM

Cpt Underpants said:
The suggested builds are all pretty much the same on key components, and they're all great. However, considering you are Canadian and these builds will be closer to $1100 than $1000, the easiest way to cut back costs without any difference in performance is pertaining to whether to intend to overclock. The original build you were looking at used a locked processor, which leads me to believe you did not intend to overclock. If this is true, than you should get another Haswell i5 processor without the "K" suffix, which you pay extra for because it is unlocked for overclocking. Pair this with a cheaper "H87" motherboard, and you could bank some tidy savings without any lost performance, that is of course assuming that you do not intend to overclock.

If you DO want to overclock than I suggest checking out Tom's "Best cpu's of the month" articles. These monthly releases have asserted (for many many months now) that in the mid range i5 processor market, you get far more value with an ivey bridge i5 3570k than the Haswell 4670k. Haswell has very little actual compute improvements, most of it's development went into improving power efficiency (important for laptop battery life) and the intel 4600 integrated graphics (you've got a discreet gpu). You can save money going ivey bridge and Z77 instead of Haswell and Z87, plus ivey bridge has cooler overclocking than haswell.


Thanks for the info. I was thinking about OCing, but, I wasn't sure, I made up a build. Could you check it out?


Total: $1043.20
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $243.32
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $128.99
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $78.98
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $71.98
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB $268.98
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower $74.99
Power Supply Corsair 600W ATX12V $54.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $22.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)
November 25, 2013 2:51:54 PM

Magiikkkk said:
Cpt Underpants said:
The suggested builds are all pretty much the same on key components, and they're all great. However, considering you are Canadian and these builds will be closer to $1100 than $1000, the easiest way to cut back costs without any difference in performance is pertaining to whether to intend to overclock. The original build you were looking at used a locked processor, which leads me to believe you did not intend to overclock. If this is true, than you should get another Haswell i5 processor without the "K" suffix, which you pay extra for because it is unlocked for overclocking. Pair this with a cheaper "H87" motherboard, and you could bank some tidy savings without any lost performance, that is of course assuming that you do not intend to overclock.

If you DO want to overclock than I suggest checking out Tom's "Best cpu's of the month" articles. These monthly releases have asserted (for many many months now) that in the mid range i5 processor market, you get far more value with an ivey bridge i5 3570k than the Haswell 4670k. Haswell has very little actual compute improvements, most of it's development went into improving power efficiency (important for laptop battery life) and the intel 4600 integrated graphics (you've got a discreet gpu). You can save money going ivey bridge and Z77 instead of Haswell and Z87, plus ivey bridge has cooler overclocking than haswell.


Thanks for the info. I was thinking about OCing, but, I wasn't sure, I made up a build. Could you check it out?


Total: $1043.20
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $243.32
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $128.99
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $78.98
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $71.98
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB $268.98
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower $74.99
Power Supply Corsair 600W ATX12V $54.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $22.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)


This is a good build. My only suggestion is the Carvir Black instead of the blue. The speed increase is worth the price.

November 25, 2013 2:54:33 PM

That is rather pricey for a 3570K. Should be around $200 not $243.
November 25, 2013 2:59:24 PM

leigh15 said:
Magiikkkk said:
Cpt Underpants said:
The suggested builds are all pretty much the same on key components, and they're all great. However, considering you are Canadian and these builds will be closer to $1100 than $1000, the easiest way to cut back costs without any difference in performance is pertaining to whether to intend to overclock. The original build you were looking at used a locked processor, which leads me to believe you did not intend to overclock. If this is true, than you should get another Haswell i5 processor without the "K" suffix, which you pay extra for because it is unlocked for overclocking. Pair this with a cheaper "H87" motherboard, and you could bank some tidy savings without any lost performance, that is of course assuming that you do not intend to overclock.

If you DO want to overclock than I suggest checking out Tom's "Best cpu's of the month" articles. These monthly releases have asserted (for many many months now) that in the mid range i5 processor market, you get far more value with an ivey bridge i5 3570k than the Haswell 4670k. Haswell has very little actual compute improvements, most of it's development went into improving power efficiency (important for laptop battery life) and the intel 4600 integrated graphics (you've got a discreet gpu). You can save money going ivey bridge and Z77 instead of Haswell and Z87, plus ivey bridge has cooler overclocking than haswell.


Thanks for the info. I was thinking about OCing, but, I wasn't sure, I made up a build. Could you check it out?


Total: $1043.20
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $243.32
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $128.99
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $78.98
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $71.98
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB $268.98
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower $74.99
Power Supply Corsair 600W ATX12V $54.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $22.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)


This is a good build. My only suggestion is the Carvir Black instead of the blue. The speed increase is worth the price.



Alright I added the caviar black, anything I could remove/make cheaper for an SSD?

November 25, 2013 3:02:06 PM

Magiikkkk said:
leigh15 said:
Magiikkkk said:
Cpt Underpants said:
The suggested builds are all pretty much the same on key components, and they're all great. However, considering you are Canadian and these builds will be closer to $1100 than $1000, the easiest way to cut back costs without any difference in performance is pertaining to whether to intend to overclock. The original build you were looking at used a locked processor, which leads me to believe you did not intend to overclock. If this is true, than you should get another Haswell i5 processor without the "K" suffix, which you pay extra for because it is unlocked for overclocking. Pair this with a cheaper "H87" motherboard, and you could bank some tidy savings without any lost performance, that is of course assuming that you do not intend to overclock.

If you DO want to overclock than I suggest checking out Tom's "Best cpu's of the month" articles. These monthly releases have asserted (for many many months now) that in the mid range i5 processor market, you get far more value with an ivey bridge i5 3570k than the Haswell 4670k. Haswell has very little actual compute improvements, most of it's development went into improving power efficiency (important for laptop battery life) and the intel 4600 integrated graphics (you've got a discreet gpu). You can save money going ivey bridge and Z77 instead of Haswell and Z87, plus ivey bridge has cooler overclocking than haswell.


Thanks for the info. I was thinking about OCing, but, I wasn't sure, I made up a build. Could you check it out?


Total: $1043.20
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $243.32
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $128.99
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $78.98
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $71.98
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB $268.98
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower $74.99
Power Supply Corsair 600W ATX12V $54.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $22.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)


This is a good build. My only suggestion is the Carvir Black instead of the blue. The speed increase is worth the price.



Alright I added the caviar black, anything I could remove/make cheaper for an SSD?



At this point I don't see a way to keep in budget and get an SSD. I would buy as is and get a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO later on.

November 25, 2013 3:11:48 PM

Well, I ended up going $100 over budget, but I got the 840 evo :)  Thank you all especially you Leigh.
November 25, 2013 3:14:25 PM

No problem. Good luck with the rig.
!