7970+280x or one 290

Spartans

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hello
So I am not sure what is better one 290 or 7970 and 280x crossfired.
I am using one monitor 1080p and never used any crossfire or sli setup so I need your advice on this. Also I am planing to play on 60 fps and playing every game that comes out in 2014 on ultra settings.
Thank you

Solution
Well running two cards of course uses more power puts out more heat and such. If you do not already have a HD 7970 I would go for the 290 also but if you do already have the card then by all means get the second card and Crossfire. The newer AMD drivers are much better than there where and will work very good in Crossfire.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
2 card setups have issues. Unless you REALLY need that extra card (running 2 monitors), I suggest you go with a single card solution. That 290 will run everything at 1080p just fine. However, you may want to wait a couple of weeks for the different manufacturers to make non-reference versions, the AMD cooler on the 290 is REALLY loud.

Spartans

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

Can you give me information on why do you think is better one than two? Thank you

Well running two cards of course uses more power puts out more heat and such. If you do not already have a HD 7970 I would go for the 290 also but if you do already have the card then by all means get the second card and Crossfire. The newer AMD drivers are much better than there where and will work very good in Crossfire.

Solution

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

Less electricity cost. Less Noise. Less stress on the rest of the system (motherboard/PSU).

With two cards you have to run full screen, you cannot run windowed mode. This makes it take a lot longer to alt tab (if you're like me and like to pause and browse, this gets extremely frustrating).

Some games don't support two cards. Some games support two cards, but they don't scale well. Double card setups have, in the past, lead to microstuttering problems and some people are sensitive to this.

All in all, if you can do what you need to do with one card, use one card, not two.

Spartans

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

Yea I think more like you but, I am concerned too because chumly I think is right about waiting for 1 - 2 mounts for a crossfire update so I can use both cards. What do you think is this the case?