R9 290 vs GTX 770 2gb SLI

Chris Wilson

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I have been seeing that 770 can overheat and not always give the best performance when in SLI---- I am curious if it would be better to go with an R9 290 and just leave it at one card--- or to start by buying a gtx 770 and later buying a second one---- I am favoring the gigabyte windclock 2gb for about 330---

I know the R9 290 is way more powerful but how does it compare to SLI 770---

I have an intel i7 4770k and a corsair 600 cx that of course would be upgraded before SLI

Like I said in your previous thread, games are starting to use more vram because the new consoles have a whopping 8gb of ram. Considering most mainstream games are actually console ports, it means that new games being made could potentially use up to 8gb!

The GPUs in the 770 SLI will definitely last until we see the PS5 and Xbox Two (yeah I totally made that up) and you don't want to be left behind with only 2gb of vram. So get the 4gb version if you can afford it.

sixsamuraisoldier

Honorable
May 13, 2013
You'll be spending 650 vs 400, 250 dollars more, that's not worth the performance, and the scaling will actually be closer to 1.4x for the gtx 770, i recommend going with the r9, and upgrading later when you have the money, that's the best way to go, spend into the biggest most powerful SINGLE card you can, and upgrade it when it gets cheaper when you raise the money Good luck! :)

slimething

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

It proves nothing. The amount of vram has nothing to do with it if the application doesn't use it.

He didn't say what resolution he'll be running at.

Also, why link to "benchmarks" that are obsolete and done at different dates anyway. That is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

DropHD, even 6 month old drivers are obsolete too.

OP, review carefully what you're doing. Getting the biggest bang for the buck is the wisest choice, and a more powerful single card is better than SLI/CF for more money and weaker cards.