Is my new HD 7790 faulty?

ML91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hi all,

I'd be grateful for any help you guys could give me. I've just installed new parts in an old pc, and here's my new specs:

Older HDD, case, and CD-Drive, seem to work fine

AMD FX8320 Black Edition 8 Core 3.5/4.0GHz
ASUS HD 7790 DirectCU OC 1GB DDR5
4x 2GB Crucial 1333 DDR3 ram
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0) motherboard.

So basically, I had plugged everything in, expecting it all to work magically. I didn't realise when I first set it up that the card required a 6-pin power connection, as my old card hadn't. My PSU didn't have this (Crappy Sumvision 450W), so I got a 4-pin dual connector, plugged it in, and installed AMD drivers.
Instantly, I started having problems- BSODs, tearing, crashing/restarts, "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted", etc. This was occuring almost randomly- opening internet, opening documents folder, trying in vain to play a game. Uninstalling the drivers with Driver Sniffer causes the problems to go away, and the pc works fine on the default, even though the monitor is plugged in to the GFX card. I should point out at this point that I'm fairly amateur at computer issue troubleshooting.

So far, i've done the following:

Updated graphics card drivers, both through ATI and ASUS sites.
Updated AMD chipset driver from Gigabyte website.
Ran windows memory diagnostic tool- no issues.
Replaced my crap PSU with an Antec VP550f- on the budget end (£50), but I'd imagine still reliable as it's ANTEC and has reasonable reviews which say it should run any single GPU.
Opened the case, made sure everything was connected properly.

As I said, everything works absolutely fine (it seems) when the graphics card drivers aren't installed. I'd love to start gaming on this system. If anybody has any further ideas, I'd really appreciate it. I'd prefer not to clean-install windows if possible. Should I be looking at returning the GFX card, or is there something else I'm maybe missing?

Cheers!

ML91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Huilun, it still doesn't work with the new PSU. At the moment, I don't have card drivers/ CCC installed. I don't regret the new PSU though, that old thing was likely a ticking time bomb!

Alyoshka- thanks, I'll try that this evening when I'm home and keep you updated.

ML91

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hi guys,

I've now tried downgrading drivers, but no luck.
I've put in my old radeon 4600 series card, and with drivers it's working fine. Opened Medal of Honor as a tester and it works totally fine (low framerate, but that's just that card). I think I've exhausted the list- should I just RMA the card now? Should Amazon give me a full refund?