R9 290 or GTX 770?

Extasis

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hi, i think i've made a huge mistake... Just got my gtx 770 a week ago almost. I looked arond online on different grapichs cards and saw the R9 290 just out preforming the 770 by more than 20 fps... Looked up the price on the card and saw that they cost almost as much... SO my question is, should i get the R9 290 and send the 770 back? That is what im thinking about now. But is there a big difference to AMD and Nvidia? I like nvidia but im getting so much more for the money... Waht do you think?

Solution

Absolutely get the refund and buy the R9 290, then. HOWEVER, the R9 290 is quite loud in its reference form - and non-reference (read: quieter) designs are expected out in a week or so... so I'd wait for those considering how long you have... unless you don't care about the noise.

Of course, you can aim for a lower fan RPM target in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and deal with a little performance loss over time... The card actually tries to hit 95C, though, so only an amazingly awesome cooler will keep it below that - or setting a lower target temperature. The R9 290 will be a better card for the future, no doubt...

enemy1g

Honorable
If you can get a full refund on the 770, I would get the r9 290, given that it is a non-reference model. If it's a reference model... honestly because I like to keep things cool and run more efficiently, i'd stay with the 770.

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I believe you made the right choice. As an NVIDIA/EVGA fan, I always will choose their cards over AMD because I have experienced them to be more reliable and stable, and my favorite LONG LASTING.

Yes you are correct the R9 290 does out perform the GTX 770. However, the R9 290 doesn't cool as well as the GTX 770. So, many people go for aftermarket cooling solutions, why are you buying more stuff for such a small increase? Then eventually you could of probably gotten a GTX 780.. so in my opinion stay with the GTX 770, if you want.. overclock it but I believe you made the right choice here.

The difference between AMD and NVIDIA imo is that NVIDIA does have more expensive cards but they do back it up with stable, efficient, and long lasting cards that back it up.

AMD is a more affordable approach but I just hear too many stories from friends and colleagues that they have nightmares and issues with AMD cards altogether, furthermore, pushing me more away from AMD altogether.

In conclusion, I still would love AMDs GPUs to continue to improve or else NVIDIA will be the only GPU manu out there and prices would theoretically sky rocket. But that will never happen because AMD is improving lately.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

GTX560 is not designed to game at 95C and will burn or throttle happens where as AMD rated to run the R9 290 at 95C 24x7 days without any reliability problems :fille:

If 95C kills a card then what about nVidia's GTX480 that to run at 95C , any problems there?? This is not the place for showing fanboyism, instead to support the people about the help they wanted

Definitely wait for the non-reference coolers to hit the market, atm the AMD reference coolers on this card are balls, and even if they say the card is meant to run at 95 C, it really doesn't, that's all just marketing, in tests the retail hawaii chips are known to downclock themselves at that temperature

maurelie

Honorable

- First - Did you read the article that i posted to you?
- Second - Both ATI /AMD and Nvidia user here. Currently using GTX 560, next upgrade R9 280X.
-Third - Looks like you sound like fanboy getting into specifics how R9 290 can run 24/7 at 90c+. Really?

looncraz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Absolutely get the refund and buy the R9 290, then. HOWEVER, the R9 290 is quite loud in its reference form - and non-reference (read: quieter) designs are expected out in a week or so... so I'd wait for those considering how long you have... unless you don't care about the noise.

Of course, you can aim for a lower fan RPM target in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and deal with a little performance loss over time... The card actually tries to hit 95C, though, so only an amazingly awesome cooler will keep it below that - or setting a lower target temperature. The R9 290 will be a better card for the future, no doubt. Higher resolution capabilities, more RAM, GCN 1.1 architecture, etc... All around better card looking forward.

And you should ignore the fanboyisms - I buy whatever is best for the given situation - a 290 is simply much better than a 770 at the same-ish price. It matches the 780, but I then give the 780 a slight edge due to better cooling and lower power draw, then the 290X is better, then the 780Ti.

Solution

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

This.
And it's only 10 fps faster.
Is it worth it for the heat, product quality, and extra cost.

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Damn SKIPPY IT AINT!

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Indubitably.

Extasis

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I'm going with the r9 290. I'm waiting atm for the non reference ones to come out. (hopefully soon) unfortunately i won't get my money back for my 770 (don't know why) but I sold it for the same price that I bought it for. So it's all good... I'm kinda annoyed that i didn't think of the r9 290 first but anyway. (got 3 games with the 770 too hahah) so I'm happy but tiered of waiting for the non reference one... Heard it would come the end of November (which we know now wasn't true) some say before Christmas, some say in late December, and others say in February. Nobody really knows when....

eduro

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Stupid question: What is the difference between referenced and non-referenced models?

eduro

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Stupid question: What is the difference between referenced and non-referenced models?

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Really not worth it.
But i hope you like it.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

10fps over a 770. And it is still 100 dollars more.
I could just turn off AA and post processing as that adds input lag, which is why you would have a 144hz monitor in the first place.
Anything 1080p, or under. The r9 290 is not worth it.

Extasis

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I'd say it's definitely worth it... you get so much more for your money and it's is not 100$ more... i have the 4gb version of the 770 and in my country the 290 is cheaper than the 770 4gb! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5_f_gsxJw here you can also see in the benchmark (in the end of the video that the 290 even out preforms the 290x! So it is really worth the money especially if you get the non reference one with bf4 in it...

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Well, where i'm at, it's 100 dollars more for a crap cooler, poor overclocking, and minimal performance upgrade.
I got two r9 290's that had coil whine and underperformed. Not. Worth. It.