Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer freezes with installed graphics card drivers, not without

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 26, 2013 9:38:35 AM

Title.

I get both freezes where the screen turns black, my monitor goes on standy and there´s a couple of second of buzzing through my headphones and freezes where the screen just turns still. In both cases I get no error messages whatsoever and my only option is to manually shut down my PC with the power button or reboot it with the reboot button. Finally, I sometimes also but much less frequently get the message that the AMD display driver has stopped responding and has recovered, where I get a few second of unresponsiveness but it comes back up after a while.

I previously though the issue was lying in certain Microsoft/Windows services, specifically Superftech and Windows Image Acquisition, as I didn't get the freezes for a couple of days with them disabled on startup, but the freezes came back after a while nonetheless.

I tried to remove the drivers in the Device Managers and haven't had a freeze until now, but as I like to game and use Netflix and the the likes, I feel like using my actual card's drivers is necessary and optimal for display performance, so I'd like to find the root of my issue. I don't seem to get the freezes when using the standard on-board VGA/monitor graphics.

It might have something to do with voltage, but I'm not at all accustomed to making changed with stuff like that, so I might need some guidance if that's a possible solution.

I think I've downloaded every other driver and driver update for the rest of my hardware using manufacter-uploaded drivers respectively, so I doubt it's related to out of date drivers elsewhere, although it could be some form of conflict between hardware/drivers, most likely my GPU, who knows.

Here's my specs:
- W7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
- AMD FX-6300, Vishera 32nm Technology
- 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
- MSi 970A-G43 (MS-7693)
- Club3D Radeon R7 260 X royalKing Vapor
- 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA)
- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 ATA Device
- Realtek HD Audio

Thanks in advance for any help!
November 26, 2013 10:08:13 AM

swiggu said:
Title.

I get both freezes where the screen turns black, my monitor goes on standy and there´s a couple of second of buzzing through my headphones and freezes where the screen just turns still. In both cases I get no error messages whatsoever and my only option is to manually shut down my PC with the power button or reboot it with the reboot button. Finally, I sometimes also but much less frequently get the message that the AMD display driver has stopped responding and has recovered, where I get a few second of unresponsiveness but it comes back up after a while.

I previously though the issue was lying in certain Microsoft/Windows services, specifically Superftech and Windows Image Acquisition, as I didn't get the freezes for a couple of days with them disabled on startup, but the freezes came back after a while nonetheless.

I tried to remove the drivers in the Device Managers and haven't had a freeze until now, but as I like to game and use Netflix and the the likes, I feel like using my actual card's drivers is necessary and optimal for display performance, so I'd like to find the root of my issue. I don't seem to get the freezes when using the standard on-board VGA/monitor graphics.

It might have something to do with voltage, but I'm not at all accustomed to making changed with stuff like that, so I might need some guidance if that's a possible solution.

I think I've downloaded every other driver and driver update for the rest of my hardware using manufacter-uploaded drivers respectively, so I doubt it's related to out of date drivers elsewhere, although it could be some form of conflict between hardware/drivers, most likely my GPU, who knows.

Here's my specs:
- W8 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
- AMD FX-6300, Vishera 32nm Technology
- 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
- MSi 970A-G43 (MS-7693)
- Club3D Radeon R7 260 X royalKing Vapor
- 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA)
- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 ATA Device
- Realtek HD Audio

Thanks in advance for any help!


Do you have virtualization turned on in the bios? Its a common mistake and a lot of people don't know that with a 64 bit version of windows you need virtualization turned on. Its called (wow) windows on windows, you are running a 32bit os along side a 64bit os. give it a try it should fix your problem.
m
0
l
November 26, 2013 10:22:58 AM

porkysatan said:
swiggu said:
Title.

I get both freezes where the screen turns black, my monitor goes on standy and there´s a couple of second of buzzing through my headphones and freezes where the screen just turns still. In both cases I get no error messages whatsoever and my only option is to manually shut down my PC with the power button or reboot it with the reboot button. Finally, I sometimes also but much less frequently get the message that the AMD display driver has stopped responding and has recovered, where I get a few second of unresponsiveness but it comes back up after a while.

I previously though the issue was lying in certain Microsoft/Windows services, specifically Superftech and Windows Image Acquisition, as I didn't get the freezes for a couple of days with them disabled on startup, but the freezes came back after a while nonetheless.

I tried to remove the drivers in the Device Managers and haven't had a freeze until now, but as I like to game and use Netflix and the the likes, I feel like using my actual card's drivers is necessary and optimal for display performance, so I'd like to find the root of my issue. I don't seem to get the freezes when using the standard on-board VGA/monitor graphics.

It might have something to do with voltage, but I'm not at all accustomed to making changed with stuff like that, so I might need some guidance if that's a possible solution.

I think I've downloaded every other driver and driver update for the rest of my hardware using manufacter-uploaded drivers respectively, so I doubt it's related to out of date drivers elsewhere, although it could be some form of conflict between hardware/drivers, most likely my GPU, who knows.

Here's my specs:
- W8 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
- AMD FX-6300, Vishera 32nm Technology
- 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
- MSi 970A-G43 (MS-7693)
- Club3D Radeon R7 260 X royalKing Vapor
- 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA)
- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 ATA Device
- Realtek HD Audio

Thanks in advance for any help!


Do you have virtualization turned on in the bios? Its a common mistake and a lot of people don't know that with a 64 bit version of windows you need virtualization turned on. Its called (wow) windows on windows, you are running a 32bit os along side a 64bit os. give it a try it should fix your problem.


I'm pretty sure I'm running 64-bit only, as I specifically ordered an OEM license Windows 7 HP 64-bit. I checked my BIOS for any settings either way but there was nothing about virtualization or wow I could find.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 26, 2013 11:30:53 AM

No such thing as windows 64bit only. fire up your task manager and see how many 32bit processes are going on. most games are still programed in 32bit
m
0
l
November 26, 2013 11:40:08 AM

Did you uninstall the video driver from the add/remove program in your control panel? if not then do it from there. Than go to your root directory and delete the amd folder. it will be at c:/amd after you do that restart your pc and reinstall the driver by right clicking on it and run as administrator.
m
0
l
November 26, 2013 12:49:12 PM

porkysatan said:
No such thing as windows 64bit only. fire up your task manager and see how many 32bit processes are going on. most games are still programed in 32bit

Yeah, there's tons of 32-bit programs running. Either way, I couldn't find anything about virtualization in the BIOS.
porkysatan said:
Did you uninstall the video driver from the add/remove program in your control panel? if not then do it from there. Than go to your root directory and delete the amd folder. it will be at c:/amd after you do that restart your pc and reinstall the driver by right clicking on it and run as administrator.

Yeah, I did. I didn't remove the folder myself, however, but it asked me to create that folder in the setup after I uninstalled.

I turned on OC Genie II in my BIOS and it seems to have made my system a little more stable, however I still get the AMD display driver crashes, even though the complete freezes are gone.
m
0
l
November 27, 2013 9:25:05 AM

bump.
m
0
l
!