Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best Power Supply that's inexpensive

Last response: in Components
Share
November 26, 2013 10:34:59 AM

Hey guys. Just looking to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what power supply i should get that's inexpensive for this computer i'm building up.

MB: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard
CPU: AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 Eight-Core 3.5GHz AM3+ Processor
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Desktop Memory DDR3 1600Hz
Video Card: XFX FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 Double D Video Card
OS: Windows Ultimate (64 Bit)
*Also throw in the fans and stuff*

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2013 11:01:32 AM

Corsair CX500 A cheap basic power supply without the frills, should get the job done for your build.
Share
Related resources
November 26, 2013 11:26:04 AM

I agree on the CX500 being cheap and getting the job done.

Only reason i am replacling the one i bought is so i can put a better GPU in my system.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2013 11:29:49 AM

Glad I could help.
m
0
l
November 26, 2013 11:32:57 AM

P1nnacle said:
Corsair CX500 A cheap basic power supply without the frills, should get the job done for your build.


So what your saying is the min Wattage i need is 500?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2013 11:45:44 AM

Radeon HD 7870 - requires 23 Ampere and a 500W PSU minimum. And I could have suggested you Corsair CX 500, but its not a decent PSU so I didn't suggest it. Cheap is not always better.

XFX is made by Seasonic, so its good. And remember most top line PSU is made by Seasonic, unfortunately CX 500 is not one of those.
m
0
l
November 26, 2013 11:48:23 AM

I picked up a XFX 550w PSU for £50 on amazon a few weeks ago. While I haven't tried it yet (4 days and I can) it's built quite well.

EDIT: Oh, whoops! Looks like someone already suggested this one. Oh well, more of a reason to get it, hmm? :) 
m
0
l
November 26, 2013 12:25:34 PM

lonewolf7 said:
Radeon HD 7870 - requires 23 Ampere and a 500W PSU minimum. And I could have suggested you Corsair CX 500, but its not a decent PSU so I didn't suggest it. Cheap is not always better.

XFX is made by Seasonic, so its good. And remember most top line PSU is made by Seasonic, unfortunately CX 500 is not one of those.


except the part about it not being decent. Just because a PSU is not made by Seasonic does not mean its a crap PSU. Its a very decent PSU that works well and is actually built fairly well. Hell even Toms review puts it in a favorable light.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2013 12:26:24 PM

lonewolf7 said:
Radeon HD 7870 - requires 23 Ampere and a 500W PSU minimum. And I could have suggested you Corsair CX 500, but its not a decent PSU so I didn't suggest it. Cheap is not always better.

XFX is made by Seasonic, so its good. And remember most top line PSU is made by Seasonic, unfortunately CX 500 is not one of those.


Seasonic PSUs aren't the only good PSUs out there, and it's silly to say such a thing. CWT (the manufacturers of the CX series) used to make bad power supplies until Corsair worked with it. Now it makes mostly high end units. This PSU will work, and will work well for the OP's needs. I'm not in the business of recommending items I would not use myself.

XFX PSUs have actually been removed from Overclock's PSU listings:

"I am no longer recommending XFX power supplies. Yes, they use SeaSonic internals, but with their current practices in the GPU market I don't feel confident that we can trust XFX not to cheap out on their existing units with lower quality components, or even a design or OEM change (unlikely--but I'm not feeling very charitable toward XFX at the moment).

And with customer service like the case described above, they're starting to sound more and more like some Chinese fly-by-night company, whose RMA department's main job is to refuse RMAs."

Full article here: XFX
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2013 12:27:59 PM

RookieTechSavy said:
P1nnacle said:
Corsair CX500 A cheap basic power supply without the frills, should get the job done for your build.


So what your saying is the min Wattage i need is 500?


Yes, in a nutshell this PSU will provide you with the amount of power you need for your build.
m
0
l
November 26, 2013 1:30:39 PM

P1nnacle said:
RookieTechSavy said:
P1nnacle said:
Corsair CX500 A cheap basic power supply without the frills, should get the job done for your build.


So what your saying is the min Wattage i need is 500?


Yes, in a nutshell this PSU will provide you with the amount of power you need for your build.



Thanks. And if i find a cheaper Corsair PSU that meets my power REQ I will most likely get it judging by all the comments on it i've seen so far.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2013 1:44:20 PM

RookieTechSavy said:

Thanks. And if i find a cheaper Corsair PSU that meets my power REQ I will most likely get it judging by all the comments on it i've seen so far.


I doubt you'll find any cheaper than this, but if you do, make sure it's 500W+, best bet is to comment in here if you find one, glad to check it out for you.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2013 9:55:19 AM

P1nnacle said:
lonewolf7 said:
Radeon HD 7870 - requires 23 Ampere and a 500W PSU minimum. And I could have suggested you Corsair CX 500, but its not a decent PSU so I didn't suggest it. Cheap is not always better.

XFX is made by Seasonic, so its good. And remember most top line PSU is made by Seasonic, unfortunately CX 500 is not one of those.


Seasonic PSUs aren't the only good PSUs out there, and it's silly to say such a thing. CWT (the manufacturers of the CX series) used to make bad power supplies until Corsair worked with it. Now it makes mostly high end units. This PSU will work, and will work well for the OP's needs. I'm not in the business of recommending items I would not use myself.

XFX PSUs have actually been removed from Overclock's PSU listings:

"I am no longer recommending XFX power supplies. Yes, they use SeaSonic internals, but with their current practices in the GPU market I don't feel confident that we can trust XFX not to cheap out on their existing units with lower quality components, or even a design or OEM change (unlikely--but I'm not feeling very charitable toward XFX at the moment).

And with customer service like the case described above, they're starting to sound more and more like some Chinese fly-by-night company, whose RMA department's main job is to refuse RMAs."

Full article here: XFX


For your kind information CX 500 is a Tier 3 Brand PSU.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx



m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2013 10:50:13 AM

lonewolf7 said:

For your kind information CX 500 is a Tier 3 Brand PSU.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx



"CXv2 "Builder" series
Cheap, budget-oriented units. Fixed cables, rated at 30C, mixed Taiwanese and Chinese caps, 80+, 3 year warranty. Same as CXv1 but with upgraded switching components and +12V rectifiers.

CX430v2 - CWT DSA-II
CX500v2 - CWT DSA-II
CX600v2 - CWT DSA-II"

"CWT is a company with a more troubled history, that had a marred reputation prior to its partnership with Corsair. CWT now produces mostly high-quality power supplies with only a few low-end units made for other companies such as Thermaltake."

http://www.overclock.net/t/654983/on-corsair-psus
m
0
l
!