Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

pc came with Windows 8 pro, no key. Can I downgrade to normal?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 26, 2013 5:56:42 PM


The shop I bought my parts from put the computer together for free and left windows 8 pro on it for me to experiment with and see if I like it.

I do like Windows 8, but I dont see any reason to pay extra $50 for a license I can only use once so figure I will just use Windows 8 normal.

Can I just buy Windows 8 normal and use that license key?

I have built and installed everything already so was hoping to avoid a reinstall of OS.

Thanks!

Best solution

November 26, 2013 6:01:45 PM

probably no.

also as long as the version is same or higher windows 8 can be reinstalled by keeping files and installed programs, you need to go through the upgrade/repair option on DVD (setup needs to be launched from within windows for this to work) but this will only work with pro if you have pro installed already
Share
August 3, 2014 1:35:41 AM

yanis31 said:
probably no.

also as long as the version is same or higher windows 8 can be reinstalled by keeping files and installed programs, you need to go through the upgrade/repair option on DVD (setup needs to be launched from within windows for this to work) but this will only work with pro if you have pro installed already


I got a bit confused. Can you clarify if we can re-install and keep all files and installed programs from Windows 8.1 Professional to Windows 8.1(normal/regular) by just going through the upgrade/repair option on DVD?
m
0
l
Related resources
August 3, 2014 6:03:20 AM

Omis said:
yanis31 said:
probably no.

also as long as the version is same or higher windows 8 can be reinstalled by keeping files and installed programs, you need to go through the upgrade/repair option on DVD (setup needs to be launched from within windows for this to work) but this will only work with pro if you have pro installed already


I got a bit confused. Can you clarify if we can re-install and keep all files and installed programs from Windows 8.1 Professional to Windows 8.1(normal/regular) by just going through the upgrade/repair option on DVD?


you can only go to the same version or higher. you launch this via "upgrade" option when you open the windows DVD from within windows/my computer
m
0
l
August 3, 2014 9:06:57 PM

yanis31 said:
Omis said:
yanis31 said:
probably no.

also as long as the version is same or higher windows 8 can be reinstalled by keeping files and installed programs, you need to go through the upgrade/repair option on DVD (setup needs to be launched from within windows for this to work) but this will only work with pro if you have pro installed already


I got a bit confused. Can you clarify if we can re-install and keep all files and installed programs from Windows 8.1 Professional to Windows 8.1(normal/regular) by just going through the upgrade/repair option on DVD?


you can only go to the same version or higher. you launch this via "upgrade" option when you open the windows DVD from within windows/my computer


So, if I want to "downgrade", I'd have to do a re-install that would delete all my files in my computer, right?
m
0
l
August 4, 2014 9:40:53 AM

yes. (well you can always backup your files somwhere, but you wont keep installed programs)
m
0
l
!