($800 - 1000$) Cyber Monday/Black Friday Gaming Budget PC Build project

buildhelp

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: I am looking to purchase all of the parts between Black Friday and Cyber Monday with hopefully some solid deals pushing up the value of what i can get for a budget price

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) I'm looking to not spend anymore than $1000 after all of the rebates/shipping etc... Now if I am right on the precipice between something average and something amazing based on a few dollars I can go over this.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the net. 80% gaming,compiling programs

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: already have a monitor, keyboard, & mouse. Otherwise I need a Case, mobo, CPU, RAM, SSD, GPU,Fans & PSU.

Do you need to buy OS: no.

Preferred Website(s): Im looking for the best prices for value(bang for buck) so website is not an issue though it would be nice to have everything come from one store with a good return policy I am poor and discount parts is what im really after.

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Santa Cruz, CA, United States

Parts Preferences: Intel tend to be a lot more expensive than AMD's im assuming and im in this for the best performance for money but then again also reliability so I am really not sure what type of processor is better for me. maybe the one with the biggest holoday sale

Overclocking: Not sure how but im up for it if it will make the Build faster and cost less

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe I have never done SLI or CrossFire but my goal is to get the best performance possible for the price so if that ends up being a good option I'm game.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 I Think though im planing on upgrading when money becomes available

Additional Comments: I care about the power under the hood so the look of the PC is meaningless to me. I know I don't want to do liquid cooling as that sounds like a nightmare for a relatively new builder like myself. I play games of varying strain from low end like Wow to a little higher like Witcher 3 etc.. so i'm all over the place with what games i'm using. Ultra graphics is not my goal but is nice if I can achieve it, quality FPS is more important to me by far.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have never owned a tower only laptops and I need some power and performance to accommodate demanding games like star citizens(Not out yet) and other GPU/CPU intensive games also for compiling programs,screen recording games for youtube, editing videos and photos and compressing files.

Thanks for reading and for any help that you can provide.

Regards
Benji

Sunoco

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
This is exactly what I need as well. I'm in the same boat as Buildhelp and would love to see build setups using black friday/cyber monday deals. Thanks in advance!

Rapajez

Distinguished
Edit: (Re-written after realizing the budget was $800-1000) :p

If you buy on NewEgg today, there's plenty of combo deals with motherboards and Intel i5-4XXX chips. There's also a lot of great deals on the R9 series cards, RAM, and SSDs. I went with an AMD R9 290, as it's almost as fast as the newly launched NVIDIA GTX 970, and has much better deals this weekend. If you want to be a little more future-proof, and can find a 970 for $330 or less, go for it.

You can drop the SSD, but I think it's a must in this price-range. Will make everything storage-related (booting, starting apps, loading levels) much faster. You can also drop to a i5-4440, and drop the CPU cooler if you're not going to overclock, but if the sales this week make it almost the same price, you might as well go for it.

Something like the build below. Keep in mind, you can swap around some of the parts depending on today's deals. Examples are a different compatible mobo that comes with a combo, (Z97 if you're going to overclock or SLI, H97 otherwise to save money). RAM that's on sale (stick with a 2x4GB, 1600Mhz or higher kit), or an R9 290 from a different manufacturer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($131.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($268.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.96 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1039.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 16:41 EST-0500

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Here is my recommendation. Since the spec was the most power for the money, I will assume you are overclocking. The CPU I chose is one of the highest-performing, and is great for OC'ing as well. I included an affordable but great CPU cooler as well. The motherboard is also built for OC'ing, and gigabyte is one of the best brands on the market. You have great ram, the most you'll likely ever need, and a very reliable hard drive. I'd wait and when you get the money buy an SSD to put your games on, such as Samsung's 250gb 840 Evo which will help a lot with load times and boot-up. You have one of the best and energy-efficient GPU's made, by one of the highest-regarded manufacturers of graphics cards at your disposal. Cooler Master makes great cases, and this is sturdy and affordable with good air flow. When OC'ing it's more important to have a high quality power supply so I included an excellent one at an affordable price for you. Throw in a DVD-rom and you've got everything you need to play everything on the market. Hope this helps, ask me if you have any q's.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($354.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $929.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 19:04 EST-0500

Rapajez

Distinguished
I would just add, if you're buying a $250-350 video card, you might as well make room for a $130 1080p monitor. They're going to be overkill for your current monitor. Drop the SSD or go with the practically as fast R9 290, if you have to make room for it in your budget. 1280x1024 isn't even widescreen. :p

I have to read up on the Antec 620W, as that seems like a steal if it's really $39.99.

Also, 1866MHz RAM (and higher) is almost the same price as 1600. It's only a tiny difference right now, but why not optimize every part of your PC. It's also possible that games will take advantage of faster RAM in the near-future.

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012

I don't agree that increasing the speed of your ram will make any diff (unless you go to something like 2400mhz), but I am in complete agreement that upgrading your monitor should be the next order of business. Get a 1080p monitor, and if there are higher resolutions available don't be shy about them either, your GPU can run it. There are some great 2560 x 1440 monitors out there, depending on what you want, but at least go up to 1080. Since it's Wednesday night as I'm watching this, I'd like to know what you ended up buying also.

J

Rapajez

Distinguished
Agreed, you could also go 1440p with a R9 290 or GTX 970, but it's going to be more demanding on the setup. Future games may just need a setting or 2 tuned down.

There was a time when RAM speed didn't make any difference, and now it does. Granted it's not a huge difference (Right now), it's the same price anyway, so might as well go for it. Read here for more information: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/10 (especially the Haswell Recommendations section.)

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012

Thanks for sending me that article, I hadn't read it!

J

GT-R0B

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
I'm in the market for this exact build and this is what i came up with.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.00 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($71.33 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $865.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 23:12 EST-0500

You can replace the gtx960 with a gtx970, i just chose the 960 cause I'm planning on upgrading to a Pascal GPU when they come out next year.