Solved

Issues with XFX R7 260x

A couple weeks ago i purchased this card because my NIVDIA 420 Femi went out on me and I figured it was time for a newer higher end card. I purchased the R7 260x and I was pretty disappointed at first. There was no major differences in my quality between the two cards. I read a couple fourms and found out that my Athlon II Dual Core processor could be the reason so i upgraded that to a AMD FX 6200 6-Core. There was a difference then but nothing major. (Might I also add that during this whole process my screen has been black screening randomly when I Alt Tab and it locks up and i cant do anything) Then i changed a bunch of settings in my computer and then the life changing even accured. I was running BF4 at 50FPS on ultra. Now heres where my issue comes in that made me decide to go ahead and open this ticket. (keep inmind it still black screens from time to time) Today I was playing this morning at my 40-50 fps on ultra on BF4 no problem. I decided to take a break and take a nap. I was out for about 3 hours (I stayed up late playing BF4 with friends lol) when i came back on I loaded in the BF4 again and it was like lag central. All of a sudden i was running the same game, same server, at 5-10 fps. I tried loading into the test range to test it out. where i was normally running 60-70 fps on ultra im now down at 10-20 fps. And it wasnt just Battlefield. World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 also suffered the severe FPS drop. Im at a lost and almost completely convinced never to sleep again if this is whats going to happen (im kidding). Any ideas?
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about issues xfx 260x
  1. update: i pulled me card out. looked at it.. scratched my head a little bit and put it back in and now im back up at the 50-60 fps on ultra on BF4 and other games again...
  2. Update: it randomly throttled down again to the 10-20 fps, i pulled the card out put it back in and its back up running to speed again. idk whats going on with it
  3. RussellHansard said:
    A couple weeks ago i purchased this card because my NIVDIA 420 Femi went out on me and I figured it was time for a newer higher end card. I purchased the R7 260x and I was pretty disappointed at first. There was no major differences in my quality between the two cards. I read a couple fourms and found out that my Athlon II Dual Core processor could be the reason so i upgraded that to a AMD FX 6200 6-Core. There was a difference then but nothing major. (Might I also add that during this whole process my screen has been black screening randomly when I Alt Tab and it locks up and i cant do anything) Then i changed a bunch of settings in my computer and then the life changing even accured. I was running BF4 at 50FPS on ultra. Now heres where my issue comes in that made me decide to go ahead and open this ticket. (keep inmind it still black screens from time to time) Today I was playing this morning at my 40-50 fps on ultra on BF4 no problem. I decided to take a break and take a nap. I was out for about 3 hours (I stayed up late playing BF4 with friends lol) when i came back on I loaded in the BF4 again and it was like lag central. All of a sudden i was running the same game, same server, at 5-10 fps. I tried loading into the test range to test it out. where i was normally running 60-70 fps on ultra im now down at 10-20 fps. And it wasnt just Battlefield. World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 also suffered the severe FPS drop. Im at a lost and almost completely convinced never to sleep again if this is whats going to happen (im kidding). Any ideas?


    I have the same problem, first mine went from gray and white squares on the top 1/4 of my screen, then a couple days later it was zig-zags, now I don't see those anymore and all I get is a black screen randomly.
    I bought my card from BestBuy, where did you buy yours?
  4. Best answer
    Well, I had simular problems. After Booting I had a blackscreen and then my AMD-Driver restored. After restore the R7 didnt wake up from Idle-Mode anymore. (you can see by testing with GPU-Z). Installing an older Driver from AMD fixed that problem.
  5. StrikerPit said:
    Well, I had simular problems. After Booting I had a blackscreen and then my AMD-Driver restored. After restore the R7 didnt wake up from Idle-Mode anymore. (you can see by testing with GPU-Z). Installing an older Driver from AMD fixed that problem.


    Can you tell me which version worked for you?

    Btw. Related thread here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1940145/freezes-randomly-fitting-asus-260x.html#12490886
  6. RussellHansard said:
    Update: it randomly throttled down again to the 10-20 fps, i pulled the card out put it back in and its back up running to speed again. idk whats going on with it


    What version of the xfx r7 260x do you have at present there are 2 versions v5.0 which just has the twin fans on top of an aluminum block for a heat sink ( which is the card I kept having flickering desktop and web screens also black outs of my screen) I took it back and exchanged it and saw that there was another version v1.2 you can find version on box by serial number, upc code tag. the v1.2 has a heat sink with thin aluminum fins and copper heat pipes with the twin fans, I haven't had any issues with this version of the card, also the v5.0 clocks were 1075, and the v1.2 is clocked at 1100 as it is supposed to be.

    Also I'm using the new 14.1 beta drivers from AMD now.

    My setup-
    CFI- Bastet case
    ASrock FM2A88X+ Fatal1ty Killer mb
    AMD A10-6790K 4.0ghz quad core cpu
    Corsair CX750M modular 750w psu
    G skill 1866mhz DDR3 4gb x 2= 8gb dual channel ram
    LG sata Bluray writer drive
    1 Seagate 1tb sata III 6.0gbs main HDD
    1 WD 2tb sata III 6.0gbs storage HDD
    XFX r7 260x 2gb pcie graphics card version 1.2 (best buy)
    ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa 92mm FSB (Fluid Shield Bearing) Powerful Cooling Performance CPU Cooler
  7. I have the one with twin fans from best buy and I've had this problem since I got it.... I just about give up and sell it and buy a r9 270x like i should have I'm the first place
  8. Its not the gpu I had this same problem on windows 8.1 there is a mem leak. you can fix it by changing some setting in your reg. Google it. Also lock the voltage with msi afterburner. I had this same issue and spent about 2 weeks trying to fix it. All is well now and I have no more drops in fps. Computer runs smooth as butter even with an old i5 650 and this r7 260x from best buy.
  9. Harrison Weaver said:
    Its not the gpu I had this same problem on windows 8.1 there is a mem leak. you can fix it by changing some setting in your reg. Google it. Also lock the voltage with msi afterburner. I had this same issue and spent about 2 weeks trying to fix it. All is well now and I have no more drops in fps. Computer runs smooth as butter even with an old i5 650 and this r7 260x from best buy.


    Memory leak? nothing comes up about it on google I have 2 asus r7 260 x just got them to replace my 560ti and wow im disappointed even in xfire these thing are trash.. cant run a cinebench something fails eveerytime... HELPPPP
  10. Windows 7 64 bit
    Asus r7 260x Crossfire activated
    16 gb ddr3
    6 core 3.84 amd
    asus pro/ usb3
  11. RussellHansard said:
    A couple weeks ago i purchased this card because my NIVDIA 420 Femi went out on me and I figured it was time for a newer higher end card. I purchased the R7 260x and I was pretty disappointed at first. There was no major differences in my quality between the two cards. I read a couple fourms and found out that my Athlon II Dual Core processor could be the reason so i upgraded that to a AMD FX 6200 6-Core. There was a difference then but nothing major. (Might I also add that during this whole process my screen has been black screening randomly when I Alt Tab and it locks up and i cant do anything) Then i changed a bunch of settings in my computer and then the life changing even accured. I was running BF4 at 50FPS on ultra. Now heres where my issue comes in that made me decide to go ahead and open this ticket. (keep inmind it still black screens from time to time) Today I was playing this morning at my 40-50 fps on ultra on BF4 no problem. I decided to take a break and take a nap. I was out for about 3 hours (I stayed up late playing BF4 with friends lol) when i came back on I loaded in the BF4 again and it was like lag central. All of a sudden i was running the same game, same server, at 5-10 fps. I tried loading into the test range to test it out. where i was normally running 60-70 fps on ultra im now down at 10-20 fps. And it wasnt just Battlefield. World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 also suffered the severe FPS drop. Im at a lost and almost completely convinced never to sleep again if this is whats going to happen (im kidding). Any ideas?


    I have a question for you what settings did you change on your computer before because i also got an r7 260x and it is under performing tremendously, if you could tell me i will appreciate it greatly
    thanks
  12. After a few years of use, my card (R7 260X) has had the same issue, I only recently found out that the fan on the card hasn't been running properly and sometimes not at all. Overheating causes the frame drop and artifacts to show during game play. I have no idea how to fix the fan so I'm considering buying a new card, if anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics AMD R7 260x XFX Radeon