fx-9370 underclocking to reduce heat

arctic5

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hi.

I am about to get a FX-9370 CPU for I'm getting a good deal on it. My current CPU cooler has a maximum cooling capacity of 150W according to manufacturer and since the FX-9370 has a huge TDP of 220W I don't think my cooler can handle it. Also I'm thinking of getting a Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard with it.

What I'm wondering is could I underclock the CPU to work on a lower voltage and thus reducing it's TDP to around 130-150W while getting similar performance as FX-8320 or FX-8350 CPUs?

I would plan to buy a better cooler later in case I would want more power from my CPU.

Solution
well that cooler is not decent for overclocking your CPU, but with that you won't need to underclock your fx 9370 either, that cooler will do far better than the stock cooler, and saying that fx 9370 can stay at 80c at full load with its stock cooler, so yours will drop temps to 70c which is good enough, but don't attempt any overclocks on your CPU untill you buy a decent cooler.
Don't forget to close the post, If you feel you don't have any other questions

Darkresurrection

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
well that cooler is not decent for overclocking your CPU, but with that you won't need to underclock your fx 9370 either, that cooler will do far better than the stock cooler, and saying that fx 9370 can stay at 80c at full load with its stock cooler, so yours will drop temps to 70c which is good enough, but don't attempt any overclocks on your CPU untill you buy a decent cooler.
Don't forget to close the post, If you feel you don't have any other questions

Solution