for an 800$ gig, was i ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHiKiTo

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
My cousin is asking me for exactly 820$ for this cpu setup he assembled for me for a gaming pc. He gave this specs:

ASROCK 990FX EXTREME3
AMD FX-6300
MSI HD7770 1G DDR5 128BIT (R7770 PE 1GD5/OC)
GIGABYTE GE-E570A-C3 SUPERB 80+ 570W
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB 1333MHZ (CMX4GX3M1A1333C9)x2 4gb
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB BLACK 3.5" SATA (WD1002FAEX)
ANTEC ONE
ASUS 24D3ST BLACK 24X SATA
ASUS 20" VH202T LCD BLKASUS 20" VH202T LCD BLK

What do you guys think?

Solution
D
I just checked the website you mentioned. If you exclusively play the games you mentioned, then your cousin was right those games are not demanding you could even downgrade a little. For the monitor, I'd recommend something like a BENQ 21.5 GL2250BK LED WIDE SCREEN BLK. LED is much better than LCD (which are both LCD, btw). It's also a bit bigger. As that store doesn't have great SSD deals, which is a pitty, I'd still recommend going for a WD blue 1 TB instead of black. It's giong to save you some money for the monitor, which is the part of the computer you're going to look at the most.
D

Deleted member 1330443

Not so good, sorry.

First, get a better GPU. Something like a GTX 760 if you're main goal is gaming.
Second, get a decent monitor ASUS is a good brand, but that monitor is not great.
Finally, get an SSD and a storage drive if you don't need tons of fast storage.

StormCloudSeven

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013
I'd say the cost of that build is probably in the high $700's if not already over $800, assuming all the parts he used are newly bought. Some of the parts you mentioned I couldn't really find the price of so I can't be too accurate. Your cousin probably already have an OS for windows 7 or 8, so that took like $100 off the list, especially when he built it for you (which takes time, time=money) I'd say he didn't rip you off.

cHiKiTo

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Appreciate your info. What would be a good replacement for the monitor? He is using this site...
http://

That's the only shop nearest to us that sells with warranty. We're from the Philippines you see and I just converted the peso equivalent he quoted me to us dollars. :)

btw..800$(35,000Php) is my max budget and me and my sons usually play diablo3, wow, LoL, Dota2 and the likes, so my cousin told me that the gpu would be enough...is that right?

lp231

Splendid
Appreciate it that your cousin is taking his time to build it for you. If you we're to buy a OEM with similar specs then expect to pay twice as much.
Just did a build based on that specs as close as possible and it comes out to around $800ish.
If you want a better video card then tell your cousin to see if he can fit that into the build or just up your budget so he can do a better config.
That card should be able to play the games you want.

D

Deleted member 1330443

I just checked the website you mentioned. If you exclusively play the games you mentioned, then your cousin was right those games are not demanding you could even downgrade a little. For the monitor, I'd recommend something like a BENQ 21.5 GL2250BK LED WIDE SCREEN BLK. LED is much better than LCD (which are both LCD, btw). It's also a bit bigger. As that store doesn't have great SSD deals, which is a pitty, I'd still recommend going for a WD blue 1 TB instead of black. It's giong to save you some money for the monitor, which is the part of the computer you're going to look at the most.

Solution

cHiKiTo

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Great! Appreciate your time looking into this for us...

@Electromechanical Engineer: I think I'm sticking with the hd 7770 just in case my sons play games that have higher tasks. I remember my cousin saying he wants to put an 80gb ssd together with a 1tb hdd and putting the OS and some games in the ssd but I distinctly heard him say it'll cost much more so i dismissed the idea..lol..I think I'll go with your monitor suggestion.

@lp231: yeah I'm starting to appreciate him more..^_^ about the hd 7700, he says that msi got better reviews than the asus counterpart for very little difference in the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.