Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading my 3 years old gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 29, 2013 7:08:51 AM

I'm planning to upgrade my gaming pc for the first time after the last three years. I would expect this upgrade is going to last for the next 3-4 years. My current pc specs:

AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T 3.20GHz
ASUS M4A87TD
12GB RAM 1600Mhz
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750)
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX 7200rpm
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE

I'm thinking of upgrading the graphic card, HDD, motherboard and processor. For graphic card, I'm looking to upgrade to Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 770 OC 4GB DDR5 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-DDR5-PCI-E-Grap...), probably going for a single card first then going for SLI in the future if it is good enough.

For HDD, I'm gonna go for Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-Basic-Solid-State...).

I'm not quite sure about the motherboard and processor. Maybe I'll need to upgrade the motherboard for SLI compatibility, Is the current processor is going to be good enough for the GTX 770? My budget is around £1000. What do you guys think of this build? Is there enough power for 2 graphic cards?



More about : upgrading years gaming

a b 4 Gaming
November 29, 2013 7:19:20 AM

Nvm this answer.
How to Choose a Parts List for a Gaming P.C. Build
Deciding to build your own gaming p.c. can be exciting, and it can also afford the builder the ability to purchase higher end gear than if they had contracted the p.c. to be built for them by another person or company. Building your own p.c. is... See full content
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 29, 2013 7:24:48 AM

V0RTEX said:
Hey there xxusernamexx!
Taking a quick look at the build, I can say that you are fine with RAM, The HDD looks fine to me, but as you said you can make it a secondary drive and have the SSD be your boot/game drive. I would suggest upgrading the cpu to an AMD FX-4350 ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd4350frhkbox ) the gpu to a EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4G ( rhttp://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp43774k ) and the motherboard to a AsRock FM2 Extreme 6 ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fm2a85x... ). Hopefully you consider these parts and good luck on your build.


WRONG !!!!!!!
How can you suggest him to upgrade PC like this ? , this is wrong !
He has an Hexacore processor and you're telling him to buy quadcore CPU ?
this is a degrade.
and FX-4350 is an CPU not an APU,
It requires motherboard with AM3+ Socket.
You cant use this processor with FM2 socket type motherboard.
Think before you answer.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 29, 2013 7:48:25 AM

xxxusernamexxx said:
I'm planning to upgrade my gaming pc for the first time after the last three years. I would expect this upgrade is going to last for the next 3-4 years. My current pc specs:

AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T 3.20GHz
ASUS M4A87TD
12GB RAM 1600Mhz
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750)
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX 7200rpm
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE

I'm thinking of upgrading the graphic card, HDD, motherboard and cpu. For graphic card, I'm looking to upgrade to Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 770 OC 4GB DDR5 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-DDR5-PCI-E-Grap...), probably going for a single card first then going for SLI in the future if it is good enough.

For HDD, I'm gonna go for Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-Basic-Solid-State...).

I'm not quite sure about the motherboard and cpu. Maybe I'll need to upgrade the motherboard for SLI compatibility, Is the current cpu is going to be good enough for the GTX 770? My budget is around £1000. What do you guys think of this build? Is there enough power for 2 graphic cards?





I highly recommend changing the Motherboard and Processor if you're planning to get two GTX770s in the future as the Phenom II X6 1090T even overclocked will bottleneck them, and that motherboard doesn't support the AMD FX series and SLI would not be recommend on that board as the second PCI-E lane runs at X4 which hinders the performance of SLI quite a lot.

I recommend this

Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+: This supports Dual X16/X16 PCI-E so SLI will run a lot better than the other board which means you'll get more frames than a X4 slot. And also it supports the FX processors and is a very solid motherboard.

http://www.ebuyer.com/393530-asus-sabertooth-990fx-r2-0...

AMD FX-8350 4GHz 8 Core: I recommend this Processor because in terms of gaming it's with the I5/I7s and is cheaper and it will last 3-4 years maybe more.

http://www.ebuyer.com/409184-amd-fx-8350-4ghz-socket-am...

MSI GTX770 2GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/509733-msi-gtx-770-gaming-2gb-gdd...

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-Basic-Solid-State...

£128.73+£141.99+ £260+ £119.90= £650.62 Total price.

2 GTX770 SLI takes 402w alone from the wall at max stress. A corsair 750W TX would power this sytem with ease.
Share
November 29, 2013 10:43:53 AM

has22fas said:


I highly recommend changing the Motherboard and Processor if you're planning to get two GTX770s in the future as the Phenom II X6 1090T even overclocked will bottleneck them, and that motherboard doesn't support the AMD FX series and SLI would not be recommend on that board as the second PCI-E lane runs at X4 which hinders the performance of SLI quite a lot.

I recommend this

Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+: This supports Dual X16/X16 PCI-E so SLI will run a lot better than the other board which means you'll get more frames than a X4 slot. And also it supports the FX processors and is a very solid motherboard.

http://www.ebuyer.com/393530-asus-sabertooth-990fx-r2-0...

AMD FX-8350 4GHz 8 Core: I recommend this Processor because in terms of gaming it's with the I5/I7s and is cheaper and it will last 3-4 years maybe more.

http://www.ebuyer.com/409184-amd-fx-8350-4ghz-socket-am...

MSI GTX770 2GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/509733-msi-gtx-770-gaming-2gb-gdd...

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-Basic-Solid-State...

£128.73+£141.99+ £260+ £119.90= £650.62 Total price.

2 GTX770 SLI takes 402w alone from the wall at max stress. A corsair 750W TX would power this sytem with ease.


Thanks for your answer. To be honest I don't know much about processors and motherboards. I notice that that Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ supports PCIe 2.0 x16 while for GTX 770 it is PCIe 3.0. Would this cause bottleneck in the system?

Also, are there any huge difference in performance other than price between GTX 770 2GB or 4GB version? From what I've read, some said that 4GB is better for multi-monitor, SLI and future-proof for next gen games but I'm not sure whether this is true.

As for processors, I look around and found that there are newer and better processors AMD FX-9590 or AMD FX-9370 and the price difference is not that big. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Do you think these processors will perform better with GTX 770 compared to AMD FX-8350?

m
0
l
November 29, 2013 1:17:43 PM

xxxusernamexxx said:
has22fas said:


I highly recommend changing the Motherboard and Processor if you're planning to get two GTX770s in the future as the Phenom II X6 1090T even overclocked will bottleneck them, and that motherboard doesn't support the AMD FX series and SLI would not be recommend on that board as the second PCI-E lane runs at X4 which hinders the performance of SLI quite a lot.

I recommend this

Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+: This supports Dual X16/X16 PCI-E so SLI will run a lot better than the other board which means you'll get more frames than a X4 slot. And also it supports the FX processors and is a very solid motherboard.

http://www.ebuyer.com/393530-asus-sabertooth-990fx-r2-0...

AMD FX-8350 4GHz 8 Core: I recommend this Processor because in terms of gaming it's with the I5/I7s and is cheaper and it will last 3-4 years maybe more.

http://www.ebuyer.com/409184-amd-fx-8350-4ghz-socket-am...

MSI GTX770 2GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/509733-msi-gtx-770-gaming-2gb-gdd...

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-250GB-Basic-Solid-State...

£128.73+£141.99+ £260+ £119.90= £650.62 Total price.

2 GTX770 SLI takes 402w alone from the wall at max stress. A corsair 750W TX would power this sytem with ease.


Thanks for your answer. To be honest I don't know much about processors and motherboards. I notice that that Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ supports PCIe 2.0 x16 while for GTX 770 it is PCIe 3.0. Would this cause bottleneck in the system?

Also, are there any huge difference in performance other than price between GTX 770 2GB or 4GB version? From what I've read, some said that 4GB is better for multi-monitor, SLI and future-proof for next gen games but I'm not sure whether this is true.

As for processors, I look around and found that there are newer and better processors AMD FX-9590 or AMD FX-9370 and the price difference is not that big. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Do you think these processors will perform better with GTX 770 compared to AMD FX-8350?



The FX-9590 is just a overclocked FX-8350 it's the same chip, You could overclock the FX-8350 and get the same performance or just buy the FX-9590 bare in mind it uses 220w and runs hot so you need a good cooler. Both won't bottleneck the GTX770 that's the reason it so popular because it has best price/performance. Regarding the PCI-3.0 there is no difference as the GTX770 will run in 2.0 instead and the difference between 3.0 and 2.0 is nothing. If you where to run SLI it would both run in X16 anyway. And you would only invest in a GTX770 4GB if you play at 2560x1440 resolution or higher otherwise the 2GB provides same performance 2GB Vram is enough for dual monitors.
m
0
l
!