Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Build - Workstation for Architecture

Tags:
  • Sabertooth
  • Workstations
  • Components
  • Quadro
  • Corsair Dominator
  • Build
  • Corsair
  • Intel i7
Last response: in Components
Share
November 29, 2013 1:57:56 PM

Hello,

I'm a second year architect student and am looking to build my first workstation. I have researched most components and have a good idea of what I want to get, just need some advice on if its the best I could get for my budget. Budget is around £1500.

The programs I use the most are:
1.AutoCAD
2.Rhino
3.SketchUP
4.Adobe InDesign
5.Adobe Photoshop
6.Microsoft Word etc..

This is my current build after changing around for months, what do you think?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1866 (Just look at it...)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case: Corsair 650d
PCU: Corsair AX760
GPU: Quadro K2000 (Not 100% but I won't be playing any games on this machine so been advised to go with a workstation card)
Fans: Thinking of using SP120 QE's on H100i and AF120 PE as an exhaust

List without GPU: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/29Sy5

Anyone have any advice on possible changes? Looking to buy some parts this weekend :) 

Thanks in advance guys!!

More about : build workstation architecture

November 29, 2013 3:59:31 PM

I would stick with the fans provided by Corsair, they should be more than adequate for cooling, and I am assuming you are attaching the H100i to the top. that will save a little money.
Last suggestion: skip the Dominator RAM. The case will have good airflow so the the added heatsink area will probably not make a difference, and you are paying for the minimumal performance gain over 1600, and the Dominator name; and since this is going to be working machine for architecture etc., it might be wise to go all the way with 32GB.

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Blue
by Corsair
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (61 customer reviews)
RRP: £104.37
Price: £66.92 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £37.45 (36%)
Here's the link, order two.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B-Venge...
I am using a Sabertooth board and really like it, but it is the AMD version. I have heard that the cooling on the Intel boards, with all the neat covers, is not as good as an 'open' board; though I can't direct you to any such information.
But having a work station go bad is not a good thing, so perhaps a small step down to an ASUS Z87-Pro might be considered. Then again, maybe not: Just looked at prices and that's a really good price for that board.

Hope this helps. With luck someone else will jump in here and help out. Did you consider an AMD set-up with an FX8350?
m
0
l
November 29, 2013 4:19:18 PM

nostall said:
I would stick with the fans provided by Corsair, they should be more than adequate for cooling, and I am assuming you are attaching the H100i to the top. that will save a little money.
Last suggestion: skip the Dominator RAM. The case will have good airflow so the the added heatsink area will probably not make a difference, and you are paying for the minimumal performance gain over 1600, and the Dominator name; and since this is going to be working machine for architecture etc., it might be wise to go all the way with 32GB.

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Blue
by Corsair
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (61 customer reviews)
RRP: £104.37
Price: £66.92 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £37.45 (36%)
Here's the link, order two.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B-Venge...
I am using a Sabertooth board and really like it, but it is the AMD version. I have heard that the cooling on the Intel boards, with all the neat covers, is not as good as an 'open' board; though I can't direct you to any such information.
But having a work station go bad is not a good thing, so perhaps a small step down to an ASUS Z87-Pro might be considered. Then again, maybe not: Just looked at prices and that's a really good price for that board.

Hope this helps. With luck someone else will jump in here and help out. Did you consider an AMD set-up with an FX8350?


Thanks for the quick reply!

Yer I will be playing the H100i on top and was thinking to use the SP120's in a pull configuration above the radiator, preventing dust build up from a push config.

That looks tempting... may have to ditch the aesthetics of the platinum then! Is it better to go for 4x4 over 8x2 then? The RAM was one thing I wasn't too sure on but I'm kind of thinking to go for the Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1600 and then in a couple of months, if i need to, buy another set. I'm only a student though, going into my third year soon, so not sure if I will use more than 16GB? :??: 

The Sabertooth is very tempting with its guarantee and aesthetics... To be honest though I haven't even considered an AMD option, have you come across any advantages/disadvantages to either?

Thanks again nostall!
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 29, 2013 4:46:05 PM

LodgeJ said:
nostall said:
I would stick with the fans provided by Corsair, they should be more than adequate for cooling, and I am assuming you are attaching the H100i to the top. that will save a little money.
Last suggestion: skip the Dominator RAM. The case will have good airflow so the the added heatsink area will probably not make a difference, and you are paying for the minimumal performance gain over 1600, and the Dominator name; and since this is going to be working machine for architecture etc., it might be wise to go all the way with 32GB.

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Blue
by Corsair
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (61 customer reviews)
RRP: £104.37
Price: £66.92 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £37.45 (36%)
Here's the link, order two.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B-Venge...
I am using a Sabertooth board and really like it, but it is the AMD version. I have heard that the cooling on the Intel boards, with all the neat covers, is not as good as an 'open' board; though I can't direct you to any such information.
But having a work station go bad is not a good thing, so perhaps a small step down to an ASUS Z87-Pro might be considered. Then again, maybe not: Just looked at prices and that's a really good price for that board.

Hope this helps. With luck someone else will jump in here and help out. Did you consider an AMD set-up with an FX8350?


Thanks for the quick reply!

Yer I will be playing the H100i on top and was thinking to use the SP120's in a pull configuration above the radiator, preventing dust build up from a push config.

That looks tempting... may have to ditch the aesthetics of the platinum then! Is it better to go for 4x4 over 8x2 then? The RAM was one thing I wasn't too sure on but I'm kind of thinking to go for the Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1600 and then in a couple of months, if i need to, buy another set. I'm only a student though, going into my third year soon, so not sure if I will use more than 16GB? :??: 

The Sabertooth is very tempting with its guarantee and aesthetics... To be honest though I haven't even considered an AMD option, have you come across any advantages/disadvantages to either?

Thanks again nostall!


I'm going to skip around a little: 1st, I forgot about the great warranty on the Sabertooth. Duh! One of the selling points when I bought it.
Will you need more then 16GBs of RAM? Good question, but with two more years to go, and spending a small fortune for this build, you will want it to last at least 2-4 years after you graduate. Then it will truly become another work computer and if you are doing CAD, you will probably need full 32GBs. of RAM. Just talked to my Grandson, who is an engineering major, and he tells me the more RAM and CPU horsepower the better for all your design programs.
Need to save some $$: Go with 16 GBs. (2X8GB) 1600 now, get another 16 when you get some spare money: but he says you will need it. (He was impressed that you were actually going with the K2000, good choice).
Good plan for the fans, but don't think you can avoid the dust. I used to run some serious filters on my PC's and I still got the micro dust inside and on the fans (though no big dust/dog hair/dust bunny build up.).
Being called away right now, I will post a bit more later.
Update/back again; 1940hrs. PST. I mentioned AMD system pretty much in passing. The biggest plus for AMD is that it is a bit less expensive, and you do get 8 cores. Without researching my magazines or online, there are a few, thing that AMD CPU's do a bit better then Intel, but usually the comparison is against an i5, not an i7.
Stick with your chosen CPU, it will rock; and if it needs to rock a little more, then you can enter that world of overclocking.
Share
November 30, 2013 2:23:08 AM

Thanks for the help nostall! I'll stick with 16GB Vengeance ram and upgrade with another 16GB when I have the money in the new year. Who can resist having 32GB of RAM in a workstation??!! Going to start the build by buying the motherboard, PSU and HDD today as they are all on sale over at OCUK. One last question, would I benefit from the new Corsair RM Series PSU's? I can get the RM850 for £99 or the AX760 for £119.99? That saving could go towards RAM...:) 
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 8:35:48 AM

LodgeJ said:
Thanks for the help nostall! I'll stick with 16GB Vengeance ram and upgrade with another 16GB when I have the money in the new year. Who can resist having 32GB of RAM in a workstation??!! Going to start the build by buying the motherboard, PSU and HDD today as they are all on sale over at OCUK. One last question, would I benefit from the new Corsair RM Series PSU's? I can get the RM850 for £99 or the AX760 for £119.99? That saving could go towards RAM...:) 


Stay with the AX760, it is a better psu with a better warranty. The new RM series are still going through revisions, kinda like new games always have to have patches. I am using an older AX850, it has been Rock-of-Gibraltar stable since I bought it; and Corsair Customer Service is some of the best. I know it is a 20$ (sorry, don't have the symbol for British Pound), but your PSU is probably the most important part of your build, contrary to all hype; skimping here, especially on this build, can cost you a lot in components if something fails in the PSU.
Glad to have helped. Please repost to this thread if you need anymore help or info. Have a Wonderful Holyday Season.
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 9:52:35 AM

nostall said:
LodgeJ said:
Thanks for the help nostall! I'll stick with 16GB Vengeance ram and upgrade with another 16GB when I have the money in the new year. Who can resist having 32GB of RAM in a workstation??!! Going to start the build by buying the motherboard, PSU and HDD today as they are all on sale over at OCUK. One last question, would I benefit from the new Corsair RM Series PSU's? I can get the RM850 for £99 or the AX760 for £119.99? That saving could go towards RAM...:) 


Stay with the AX760, it is a better psu with a better warranty. The new RM series are still going through revisions, kinda like new games always have to have patches. I am using an older AX850, it has been Rock-of-Gibraltar stable since I bought it; and Corsair Customer Service is some of the best. I know it is a 20$ (sorry, don't have the symbol for British Pound), but your PSU is probably the most important part of your build, contrary to all hype; skimping here, especially on this build, can cost you a lot in components if something fails in the PSU.
Glad to have helped. Please repost to this thread if you need anymore help or info. Have a Wonderful Holyday Season.


Thanks dude I'll stick with the AX760! Keep the warranties as high as possible. Will do, always good to know that. I'll update with my build as I go along! All the best and thanks again!
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 1:23:49 PM

Update:

Hello guys!
Received my Ax760, Z87 Sabertooth and 1TB WD Black HDD Yesterday so things are starting to take off!!
Just have one question that I'm slightly confused about, the H100i is the radiator I have chosen but I am confused whether to have this as an intake or exhaust? My rear 120mm will be an exhaust with front 200mm being an intake, so what would be better for the h100i? I know Corsair recommend having them as an intake but surely you would want to extract the hot air out of the 650d?
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 8:40:41 PM

LodgeJ said:
Update:

Hello guys!
Received my Ax760, Z87 Sabertooth and 1TB WD Black HDD Yesterday so things are starting to take off!!
Just have one question that I'm slightly confused about, the H100i is the radiator I have chosen but I am confused whether to have this as an intake or exhaust? My rear 120mm will be an exhaust with front 200mm being an intake, so what would be better for the h100i? I know Corsair recommend having them as an intake but surely you would want to extract the hot air out of the 650d?


Excellent question. That cooling system will work well in either intake or exhaust configuation; it has enough coolant that unless you are really overclocking it should keep CPU nice and cool. Given that the K2000 does NOT vent its heat out of the case, it might take some playing around with the radiator system to see what works best for keeping everything the coolest.
BTW, your rear fan should exhaust plenty of warm air, and the case is not totally sealed so you will not be able to achieve positive air pressure.
I have found that Core Temp (google it) gives me the most correct CPU temperature readout (though none of the software monitoring programs are really spot-on accurate), and HWInfo64 gives the most accurate info for everything.
(The BIOS is the most accurate of all, but you can't run the PC and monitor with the BIOS at the same time).
I have gotten some really Weird reading with CPUID and/or its monitoring software (like, the 12V rail showing 7Volts
m
0
l
!