Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Want to know what to upgrade for upcoming game ESO

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 29, 2013 2:09:12 PM

Okay everyone, I am not the best at all this stuff, but here is my first build, which was almost 4 yrs ago.
Corsair VX450W 450W Power Supply
WD Caviar Green 750GB 32MB/SATA-3G
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case
Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 Dual Channel 1333MHz
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AMD 7850G Socket AM3 MB
Diamond Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 PCIe w/DVI & HDMI
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1 GHz 2x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor

Now, I am wanting to upgrade for the new game that is upcoming. Elder Scrolls Online. I am on a budget, so I am wondering if anyone can help me and advise on what to upgrade first, the gpu, cpu, or the motherboard, or all? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
November 29, 2013 2:16:22 PM

What is your budget, you can probably get $100 CPU and $100 video card which would be a major step up? Maybe just get the video card first and see how much that helps your performance.

What country?

Newegg does not have any more Phenom II X4 or X6, so that makes upgrading the CPU a little harder.
m
0
l
November 29, 2013 2:25:30 PM

bkoop said:
What is your budget, you can probably get $100 CPU and $100 video card which would be a major step up? Maybe just get the video card first and see how much that helps your performance.

What country?


My budget is between $200-250.
Country is U.S.A
is the Phenom no longer useful? my husband just got it for me last Christmas on Newegg's advice.
Thank you
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 29, 2013 2:39:55 PM

The Phenom is a fine processor, but I was hoping it was an X4 (4 cores) instead of an X2 (2 cores).

I would get this GPU for the price it is great, ASUS Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 for $149.99 and $109.99 if you want to fill out the $40 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Great cooling and a 3 year warranty.

Just a huge upgrade for your video card, see Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Performance Hierarchy Chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

What Operating System? (32-bit or 64-bit)
Share
November 29, 2013 3:02:20 PM

bkoop said:
The Phenom is a fine processor, but I was hoping it was an X4 (4 cores) instead of an X2 (2 cores).

I would get this GPU for the price it is great, ASUS Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 for $149.99 and $109.99 if you want to fill out the $40 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Great cooling and a 3 year warranty.

Just a huge upgrade for your video card, see Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Performance Hierarchy Chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

What Operating System? (32-bit or 64-bit)


I have OS Windows 7 64-bit
Sorry, I left that little bit of info out, didn't I.
I am also thinking that my gpu is going to be the first upgrade I do, as I think the mobo is "sufficient" enough for a little while longer (?)
Thank you

I just got home and the cpu is the phenom II x4! :)  so that is better news for me.
m
0
l
November 29, 2013 3:38:42 PM

The motherboard is fine and after the game comes out if and only if you need to upgrade your CPU, go to eBay and buy a Phenom II X4 from a seller with a lot of positive feedback. Just be sure to get one from the supported list:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785TDV_EVO/#support

If you need to update the Bios, the proper order is:
Update the Bios
Pull the X2
Insert the X4

But the video card is a huge upgrade and I think you will be fine.
m
0
l
November 29, 2013 3:42:46 PM

bkoop said:
The motherboard is fine and after the game comes out if and only if you need to upgrade your CPU, go to eBay and buy a Phenom II X4 from a seller with a lot of positive feedback. Just be sure to get one from the supported list:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785TDV_EVO/#support

If you need to update the Bios, the proper order is:
Update the Bios
Pull the X2
Insert the X4

But the video card is a huge upgrade and I think you will be fine.


thank you so, so much. I was going to start upgrades with the mobo, then the gpu, then the cpu.
now that I know the cpu is the Phenom II x4, and not the x2 like I thought, I feel better.
I definitely will check the gpu that you are recommending.
Again, thank you so much.
m
0
l
November 29, 2013 4:35:35 PM

The HD 5670 has 400 Stream Processing Units and the HD 7850 has 1024 Stream Processing Units, to give you an idea why the HD 7850 is faster than the HD 5670. That is not the only reason, but it gives you an idea what you are getting in the new card.
m
0
l
!