Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No display on newly built computer (odd problem)

Last response: in Components
Share
November 29, 2013 5:11:47 PM

Hi, I made a new computer a while ago and I have been having some problems. First, when i turn on the computer and hook it up to the monitor, and amber light on the screen lights up and i get a blank screen. Also, usually, only one light on the case lights up (sometimes they both do but on is faded). Finally, if I want to turn off the computer, i have to go to the switch at the back. All the fans start up. Please help. I think it is either one of my parts are incompatible or i have messed up my wiring.

Here are my parts:

Spoiler
SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7540D AD540KOKHJBOX

LG 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS95 - OEM

APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 2X4GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866 1.5V CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit

WD WD Blue WD5000AAKX-FR 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Microsoft GFC-02050 Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OEM System Builder DVD 1-Pack




I'm new to building computers so please use simple words. Thank you.
November 29, 2013 5:33:47 PM

AllMightySean said:
Hi, I made a new computer a while ago and I have been having some problems. First, when i turn on the computer and hook it up to the monitor, and amber light on the screen lights up and i get a blank screen. Also, usually, only one light on the case lights up (sometimes they both do but on is faded). Finally, if I want to turn off the computer, i have to go to the switch at the back. All the fans start up. Please help. I think it is either one of my parts are incompatible or i have messed up my wiring.

Here are my parts:

SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7540D AD540KOKHJBOX

LG 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS95 - OEM

APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 2X4GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866 1.5V CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit

WD WD Blue WD5000AAKX-FR 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Microsoft GFC-02050 Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OEM System Builder DVD 1-Pack



I'm new to building computers so please use simple words. Thank you.


try booting with the minimum parts connected. One stick of ram, the monitor, and a PSU, the CPU. do you get video on the monitor then?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 29, 2013 5:45:39 PM

Beezy said:
AllMightySean said:
Hi, I made a new computer a while ago and I have been having some problems. First, when i turn on the computer and hook it up to the monitor, and amber light on the screen lights up and i get a blank screen. Also, usually, only one light on the case lights up (sometimes they both do but on is faded). Finally, if I want to turn off the computer, i have to go to the switch at the back. All the fans start up. Please help. I think it is either one of my parts are incompatible or i have messed up my wiring.

Here are my parts:

SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7540D AD540KOKHJBOX

LG 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS95 - OEM

APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 2X4GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866 1.5V CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit

WD WD Blue WD5000AAKX-FR 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Microsoft GFC-02050 Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OEM System Builder DVD 1-Pack



I'm new to building computers so please use simple words. Thank you.


try booting with the minimum parts connected. One stick of ram, the monitor, and a PSU, the CPU. do you get video on the monitor then?


I Have already tried doing that and nothing changed :/  I will try to breadboard it because it could be that i installed one of the bolts onto the case in the wrong place. The only problem is that one of my screws connected to the motherboard is stuck because it was the wrong type of screw XD. Also, could you check that the ram is compatible with all the parts, I think that's what the problem is.
m
0
l
November 29, 2013 5:48:45 PM

Fist i would check that you have plugged in the power to the apu on your board its a 4 pin conector at the top left of the mobo.
m
0
l
November 29, 2013 6:01:18 PM

and to be clear, you cant even get into the BIOS?
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 4:38:09 AM

Beezy said:
and to be clear, you cant even get into the BIOS?


Nope, the monitor just shows a completely blank screen. I tried to reset the BIOS by taking out that small battery. Also, i have already held the power button for over 30 seconds with the power cut to the computer to remove static.
Still no BIOS on the screen
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 6:33:54 AM

AllMightySean said:
Beezy said:
and to be clear, you cant even get into the BIOS?


Nope, the monitor just shows a completely blank screen. I tried to reset the BIOS by taking out that small battery. Also, i have already held the power button for over 30 seconds with the power cut to the computer to remove static.
Still no BIOS on the screen

the next things I would try, is different monitors and motherboard ports. it looks like you have VGA, DVI, and HDMI all onboard, how are you connecting with your current monitor? Also have you gone through all the settings on the monitor itself? I know there can be some weird settings in there that can toggle how it connects/detects the cable type connected... could be your golden ticket.

m
0
l
November 30, 2013 10:43:33 AM

Beezy said:
AllMightySean said:
Beezy said:
and to be clear, you cant even get into the BIOS?


Nope, the monitor just shows a completely blank screen. I tried to reset the BIOS by taking out that small battery. Also, i have already held the power button for over 30 seconds with the power cut to the computer to remove static.
Still no BIOS on the screen

the next things I would try, is different monitors and motherboard ports. it looks like you have VGA, DVI, and HDMI all onboard, how are you connecting with your current monitor? Also have you gone through all the settings on the monitor itself? I know there can be some weird settings in there that can toggle how it connects/detects the cable type connected... could be your golden ticket.



I'm using the monitor with my laptop right now. It is really old and when i boot up my laptop, i get no display until i actually get to the log in screen. I'm pretty sure that is because it is a laptop, but if you know any better, please tell me. It is connected with a VGA cable.
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 11:11:31 AM

AllMightySean said:
Beezy said:
AllMightySean said:
Beezy said:
and to be clear, you cant even get into the BIOS?


Nope, the monitor just shows a completely blank screen. I tried to reset the BIOS by taking out that small battery. Also, i have already held the power button for over 30 seconds with the power cut to the computer to remove static.
Still no BIOS on the screen

the next things I would try, is different monitors and motherboard ports. it looks like you have VGA, DVI, and HDMI all onboard, how are you connecting with your current monitor? Also have you gone through all the settings on the monitor itself? I know there can be some weird settings in there that can toggle how it connects/detects the cable type connected... could be your golden ticket.



I'm using the monitor with my laptop right now. It is really old and when i boot up my laptop, i get no display until i actually get to the log in screen. I'm pretty sure that is because it is a laptop, but if you know any better, please tell me. It is connected with a VGA cable.


so the monitor is just not detecting a signal? /"no signal" , or it does detect a signal, but gives you a blank black screen only?
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 12:44:25 PM

Beezy said:
AllMightySean said:
Beezy said:
AllMightySean said:
Beezy said:
and to be clear, you cant even get into the BIOS?


Nope, the monitor just shows a completely blank screen. I tried to reset the BIOS by taking out that small battery. Also, i have already held the power button for over 30 seconds with the power cut to the computer to remove static.
Still no BIOS on the screen

the next things I would try, is different monitors and motherboard ports. it looks like you have VGA, DVI, and HDMI all onboard, how are you connecting with your current monitor? Also have you gone through all the settings on the monitor itself? I know there can be some weird settings in there that can toggle how it connects/detects the cable type connected... could be your golden ticket.



I'm using the monitor with my laptop right now. It is really old and when i boot up my laptop, i get no display until i actually get to the log in screen. I'm pretty sure that is because it is a laptop, but if you know any better, please tell me. It is connected with a VGA cable.


so the monitor is just not detecting a signal? /"no signal" , or it does detect a signal, but gives you a blank black screen only?


Oh yeah, the monitor does not say "no signal" I just have a completely black screen. Also I get an amber light which I think means that the monitor IS receiving the input, but the light should turn green when the monitor actually shows a display.
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 1:06:03 PM

There's no other monitor or HDTV u can test on to see if possible resolution compatibility? U said the monitor is weird or old right? if u can't switch monitors or if other monitors don't work id call the mono manufacturer and RMA the board. Or use a pci adapter. basic gpu or something 25 or 50 dollar range. Maybe using a Dvi to VGA adapter or try an HDMI to a TV. We need to isolate the cause of the problem.
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 2:08:10 PM

I might be gettign a new monitor sometime soon. Also, when i built the computer, I put it off for a whule because of school so my RMA time is no longer valid. I will tell you if i get the monitor and what happens when i plug it in.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:38:59 PM

Also, the case didn't come with a fan with it. Do you need a case fan for the computer to work or not? I have the fan on the power supply and the fan on the CPU but nothing else. Is that the problem?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 7:10:35 PM

It really sounds like a compatibility issue. The computer recognizes the monitor (doesn't say "no signal"), but cant display an image. We know the monitor works..We haven't tested the HDMI or DVI ports on the onboard graphics yet. Does the monitor you have exceed this resolution in any way? (2048 x 1536) I doubt it does, that's the max supported resolution of your built in graphics on the AMD CPU( Radeon HD 7540. ). I think the best solution would be to try an adapter like this, and connecting out of the DVI.
Motherboard:[DVI to VGA adapter] then VGA cable--->monitor.

If you cant do either of the above options, you could try re installing windows with the proper drivers in the drivers folder, http://www.amd-drivers.com/download-RadeonHD7540D-graph...

m
0
l
December 3, 2013 4:48:19 AM

Beezy said:
It really sounds like a compatibility issue. The computer recognizes the monitor (doesn't say "no signal"), but cant display an image. We know the monitor works..We haven't tested the HDMI or DVI ports on the onboard graphics yet. Does the monitor you have exceed this resolution in any way? (2048 x 1536) I doubt it does, that's the max supported resolution of your built in graphics on the AMD CPU( Radeon HD 7540. ). I think the best solution would be to try an adapter like this, and connecting out of the DVI.
Motherboard:[DVI to VGA adapter] then VGA cable--->monitor.

If you cant do either of the above options, you could try re installing windows with the proper drivers in the drivers folder, http://www.amd-drivers.com/download-RadeonHD7540D-graph...



How could I install windows and graphics if i get no display? That could be the problem but i have no clue how to do it.
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 11:48:20 AM

AllMightySean said:
Beezy said:
It really sounds like a compatibility issue. The computer recognizes the monitor (doesn't say "no signal"), but cant display an image. We know the monitor works..We haven't tested the HDMI or DVI ports on the onboard graphics yet. Does the monitor you have exceed this resolution in any way? (2048 x 1536) I doubt it does, that's the max supported resolution of your built in graphics on the AMD CPU( Radeon HD 7540. ). I think the best solution would be to try an adapter like this, and connecting out of the DVI.
Motherboard:[DVI to VGA adapter] then VGA cable--->monitor.

If you cant do either of the above options, you could try re installing windows with the proper drivers in the drivers folder, http://www.amd-drivers.com/download-RadeonHD7540D-graph...



How could I install windows and graphics if i get no display? That could be the problem but i have no clue how to do it.


yeah we need to get you working with a different port on the motherboard def
m
0
l
!