Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Would this build work for modern gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 29, 2013 8:06:05 PM

My existing system consists the following:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LX R2.0
CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 @ 3.10GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 610
MEMORY: 2 X 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Single Rank
PSU: GIGABYTE SUPERB 550/550P GE-P450P-C2
Resolution: 1440 x 900

I would upgrade those into the below (except for the G2120):

Gigabyte R9 270X http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FONITCE/ref=ox_sc_a...
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EWUO22/ref=ox_sc_a...
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EWUO22/ref=ox_sc_a...

I am looking to play modern games like GTA IV, BF4, etc with the improved system components under the above resolution of 1440 x 900 or higher (may upgrade in future). Without upgrading the G2120 to a higher end cpu for gaming, would my entire system be compromised/bottlenecked by the cpu? If it does, is G2120 able to be overclocked? The G2120 is fast and running fine for my programming in asp.net and java, if given a choice I would not want to upgrade it... Thanks!
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2013 8:59:21 PM

Yes you can play modern games but dont expect to play it in the highest settings.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 29, 2013 10:43:05 PM

Hi, G2120 is a good processor no doubt about it , but you should keep your expectations in check with it. I am a programmer as well , your current build is really good for the purpose you built it for. I believe it was for programming and light gaming. It is a really balanced machine.

Always remember that whatever budget you have got to spend on upgrades, you should always make sure once you have spent it and bought the upgrade parts your new machine should again be balanced.

Now keeping that in mind lets look at your parts. Post upgrade...

CPU - G2120
GPU - R9 270x
Memory - 16GB 1600 MHz
PSU - 650 Watt.

Now your GPU here is wayyyyyyyyy more powerful than your CPU, whether cpu will bottleneck it or not is a question which has no definite answer, depends on game you are playing. But it is definitely an Unbalanced machine. you should not spend money you have got making something unbalanced. In future you will not be able to get your money's worth from R9 270x because of your CPU.

Now what is the solution for this. Two Scenarios..

1. You want to keep your CPU as it is doing a good job
:- In this case don't upgrade to R9 270x, try looking at HD 7770, it will be a good companion for your CPU will allow you to play BF4 and GTA 4 in 1440 x 900 with most of the settings at Medium or High, and at higher as well , but i can't guarantee at 1920 x 1080 , btw check BF4s graphics settings comparison by Austin Evans at you tube, Medium looks amazing and High don't give much extra, so you would anyway be playing at medium. This upgrade will be very balanced and you can save a Ton of money. You won't need to upgrade your Power supply as HD 7770 doen't requires more than 550W which you already have.

2. You decide to spend your budget on an overall upgrade CPU, GPU etc.
In this case post your budget and we will find a nice combo for you.

Now to your Ram upgrade , why do you need 16 GB?? no game on this planet can use more than 4GB of system ram as of now , not even Skyrim with all its glory and Mods applied. 8GB is more than enough for any purpose , gaming or programming. don't waste your money senselessly.

Also all Rams are alike, So called Gaming rams like Corsair vengeance are nothing special except looking more fancy and having high clearance which comes in the way of aftermarket cpu coolers. So if you can find buy good 8GB (2x4GB dual channel) 1600MHz kit from a good brand like Corsair, GSKill, Kingston. buy that , don't pay a premium for the word Gaming slapped on any product , its just a way to sell stuff for companies.

And G2120 is not a gaming grade processor, it is a great processor and it will work and run many games fine. But it is not built for that purpose and it doesn't overclocks.
Share
Related resources
November 29, 2013 11:34:07 PM

Tyk3 said:
Hi, G2120 is a good processor no doubt about it , but you should keep your expectations in check with it. I am a programmer as well , your current build is really good for the purpose you built it for. I believe it was for programming and light gaming. It is a really balanced machine.

Always remember that whatever budget you have got to spend on upgrades, you should always make sure once you have spent it and bought the upgrade parts your new machine should again be balanced.

Now keeping that in mind lets look at your parts. Post upgrade...

CPU - G2120
GPU - R9 270x
Memory - 16GB 1600 MHz
PSU - 650 Watt.

Now your GPU here is wayyyyyyyyy more powerful than your CPU, whether cpu will bottleneck it or not is a question which has no definite answer, depends on game you are playing. But it is definitely an Unbalanced machine. you should not spend money you have got making something unbalanced. In future you will not be able to get your money's worth from R9 270x because of your CPU.

Now what is the solution for this. Two Scenarios..

1. You want to keep your CPU as it is doing a good job
:- In this case don't upgrade to R9 270x, try looking at HD 7770, it will be a good companion for your CPU will allow you to play BF4 and GTA 4 in 1440 x 900 with most of the settings at Medium or High, and at higher as well , but i can't guarantee at 1920 x 1080 , btw check BF4s graphics settings comparison by Austin Evans at you tube, Medium looks amazing and High don't give much extra, so you would anyway be playing at medium. This upgrade will be very balanced and you can save a Ton of money. You won't need to upgrade your Power supply as HD 7770 doen't requires more than 550W which you already have.

2. You decide to spend your budget on an overall upgrade CPU, GPU etc.
In this case post your budget and we will find a nice combo for you.

Now to your Ram upgrade , why do you need 16 GB?? no game on this planet can use more than 4GB of system ram as of now , not even Skyrim with all its glory and Mods applied. 8GB is more than enough for any purpose , gaming or programming. don't waste your money senselessly.

Also all Rams are alike, So called Gaming rams like Corsair vengeance are nothing special except looking more fancy and having high clearance which comes in the way of aftermarket cpu coolers. So if you can find buy good 8GB (2x4GB dual channel) 1600MHz kit from a good brand like Corsair, GSKill, Kingston. buy that , don't pay a premium for the word Gaming slapped on any product , its just a way to sell stuff for companies.

And G2120 is not a gaming grade processor, it is a great processor and it will work and run many games fine. But it is not built for that purpose and it doesn't overclocks.


Firstly, thank you for your thorough explanation! What balanced build (cpu, gpu, psu) would you suggest around 400 bucks, preferably with r9 270x? But say if i decide to retain g2120, should i get gtx 650ti boost instead and reuse my 4gb ram? Will it bottleneck? And gtx 650ti boost vs hd 7770 which is better?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2013 4:33:47 AM

Yes your G2120 and a 650Ti boost would be a good balanced system.Also its better to reuse your ram as 4gb should be enough for now.
However if you want a new cpu gpu psu for $400 then i would say
Fx 6300 cpu
asrock 970 extreme 4/gigabyte 970 d3h
corsair 550 watt enthusiast
8gb ram 1600mhz
m
0
l
November 30, 2013 4:44:16 AM

mohit9206 said:
Yes your G2120 and a 650Ti boost would be a good balanced system.Also its better to reuse your ram as 4gb should be enough for now.
However if you want a new cpu gpu psu for $400 then i would say
Fx 6300 cpu
asrock 970 extreme 4/gigabyte 970 d3h
corsair 550 watt enthusiast
8gb ram 1600mhz


Thank you for your valuable input! Seems like gtx 650ti boost is a irresistible choice with great pricing. Should I reuse the existing psu or get the corsair 550 watt enthusiast?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2013 10:30:20 AM

woshidemon said:
mohit9206 said:
Yes your G2120 and a 650Ti boost would be a good balanced system.Also its better to reuse your ram as 4gb should be enough for now.
However if you want a new cpu gpu psu for $400 then i would say
Fx 6300 cpu
asrock 970 extreme 4/gigabyte 970 d3h
corsair 550 watt enthusiast
8gb ram 1600mhz


Thank you for your valuable input! Seems like gtx 650ti boost is a irresistible choice with great pricing. Should I reuse the existing psu or get the corsair 550 watt enthusiast?


Get a new PSU.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2013 5:04:54 AM

650 Ti Boost is a great choice, and in my opinion it is greatest bang for the buck card currently on market. Here is Why, I live in india

1. It performs much better than HD 7770 Priced at 10-11K INR.
2. It performs slightly better than HD 7790, and upcoming R7 260x (In terms of raw power, maybe not with mantle API, but mantle is not yet proven to be a great thing.) Priced at 12-13k INR
3. It performs like 8-10% less than GTX 660 priced at 18-19K INR.
4. It is much much more powerful than 650 and 650Ti Boost, it is almost like a mini GTX 660.
and it costs 14K INR.

All of above cards were by top brands like ASUS for Nvidia and MSI/XFX for AMD and their respective top variants with max VRAM and Factory OC available.Now Notice that 650Ti Boost is full 25% cheaper in India and gives almost the same performance. That is why i went for this in my personal machine which i have build like 3 weeks ago. =P An yeah everything is expensive in INDIA , in USA price difference will be even better. :) 

Its an Amazing card for that price. I can't even believe how AMD is selling any card in that price bracket, everyone should just buy 650 Ti Boost. Go ahead with it.

Your PSU , 550 W is enough for your config, if it is from a reputable and well tested brand known for making good PSU, check if it has bronze certification or 80+ efficiency. 650 Ti Boost does not requires a lot of power a single 6 pin PCIE connector. I myself have only 600W. You do not need a new PSU if it satisfies what i said. 650 Ti Boost will run just fine with 550 W.

Mohits build suggestion is good, If you can find the following

1. AMD FX6300
2. Asus M5a78L/USB3 Mobo (a diff mobo than what he suggested)
3. 650 Ti Boost
4. 2x 4GB 1600 MHZ kit from either Kingston, Corsair, GSkill. Your current ram is also enough , but you might need 8gb 1-2 years in future.

In your budget ($400) go ahead and Overhaul your whole system. You will be amazed by the performance upgrade. His Suggestion to change your PSU is solely based on the fact that the brand Gigabyte is not known for PSUs, if you can verify that your PSU is reliable and solid. No need to change it.

About my Mobo suggestion being different then Mohit's ... The mobo i am suggesting you is again a Bang for Buck Mobo, Rock solid and Reliable. It doesn't has a lot of bells and whistle , but what it has is all that you would need for gaming and Programming check it out on Asus's website. Mobos suggested by him have some extra features as they have a different chipset, and allow better overclocking. But judging from your previous build, i don't take you as an overclocker as neither am I and i can feel you are like a person who just wants to do his work and game rather than spending a lot of time on hardware tweaks.

All the best for whichever way you go. :) 

P.S if you go for an overall system overhaul, If it is possible, i suggest you to sell your old parts that you won't need and buy the 8gb ram as suggested earlier and a good aftermarket cooler for FX6300 like Hyper TX3 or Deepcool Gammaxx S40. your new system will be PERFECT then.
m
0
l
!