Looking for help on a 1000~1200€ budget gaming PC

Vynavill

Honorable
Hello everyone,
Sorry for the following wall of text but I like to be the most accurate I can when it comes to these things.

I currently own an XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 paired up with an Intel i5-2500 (non-k), and the release of next-gen consoles paired up with BF4/Ghosts are weighting heavily on my patience...
So I've come here to ask advice to you guys, surely with more expertise on components I currently have.

Estimated time of the purchase would be between next week or a month (more details on this below). I'm looking to play videogames coming out from now on (including the ones I mentioned before), as well as some insanely modded Skyrim, on a standard 1920x1080 resolution.
I don't expect to run everything I throw at this new rig on Ultra-high details, with maxed out antialiasing and "Ambient Occlusion" effects, and at 60+FPS, but if I can, it definetly is welcome, provided the fan noise is bearable :)
I'm not interested in overclocking as I plan on keeping this PC alive as much as I can, but I'll eventually end up with a crossfire setup in the future, and thus the PSU chosen below is a lot higher than the required minimum, as I think I'd be on the safe spot with a 600W model already.

Here's a PCPartPicker build I came up with, although it's a mere guideline for what I'll end up buying.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.04 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($315.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($112.99 @ Expansys US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $946.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 08:29 EST-0500)

Additional details:
- My current PC is slowly dying, and this could push for an earlier date of purchase.
- There's an 80mm fan which came with the case. If needed, I can reuse that, after a bit of cleaning.
- Although it isn't on the list, I plan on getting a non-reference CPU cooler, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I'll just go with gut feelings and internet reviews for that.
- My current case is barely large enough to fit everything in, forcing me to keep it open. I'm looking for a mid-tower, since towers cost too much and are too big, and PCPartPicker's filter tells me I could get a carbide 200r without too much issues. I've also set my eyes on a nice windowed mid-tower Bitfenix Shinobi (Black-Red), but can I trust the filter? :D
- No need for a monitor or peripherals like keyboard and mouse, already got them.
- I considered the option of buying an SSD for the OS and a couple games (Skyrim is one, if I end getting it). Kinda everyone I know pointed me at either an OCZ Vertex 450 or the relatively new OCZ Vector 150, both 128GB in size. Any advice on this? Do I need an adapter to mount it?
- I also considered the option of buying an audio card to further optimize the use of my current headset, a Roccat Kave 5.1 USB. The MoBo I chose should already support 5.1 channels with the onboard audio card, and unless having a PCI one brings some serious advantages, then I might as well save on that one.

Now, for the important things:
I'm italian, and thus I can't buy from e-shops which offer their services to american territories only. Some of them offer international shipping, but they take more time to arrive and probably would let me spend the same amount I'd save in shipping taxes. This leaves me with 2 e-shops to choose from, which are E-Key and NextHs. I already bought my current one from the former, and I'd like to buy again from them: the site is well known and shipping usually arrives in 5 to 10 days with a pristine-quality packaging and each component in their own box, just as if you would buy them from retailers. The latter has a better stock and also has one of their shops relatively close to where I live, but the prices are a bit higher...
If you advice for some different pieces than the ones listed above, keep in mind that I'll search them on those two sites and eventually go for what they offer at the moment. E.g. 2 days ago E-Key offered a whole set of 280x, namely Sapphire Toxic & Vapor-x, Gigabyte, XFX and ASUS. Now there's only a Gigabyte...

What I'm currently not sure of is if I should wait for R9 290 (non-x) non-reference coolers and go single-card, or get a 280x (either ASUS DirectCU II non-MATRIX, Sapphire Toxic or Vapor-x, or XFX, which seem to be the best ones from what I see and read) and eventually crossfire in the future. Everyone pointed late November as the date when AMD would allow partners to sell their boards, but tomorrow November's gone, and there's no sign of those cards, nor of any info regarding them.

Any help is truly appreciated, and I also thank you for reading this far. I'd like to apologize for any errors I may have made in writing this, but english isn't my native language.

Will check back in a while for answers, but until then, thank you again for any help.

nick3232

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Go 670 single card beats everything else and get the rosewill challenger as a case,No need for an audio card,as for the ssd get samsung 830 or vertex 4 they are highest in benchmarks right now

Vynavill

Honorable

I'd rather not go for NVidia unless strictly necessary and unless it's my only choice left...Call me an AMD fanboy if you want, but "The way it's meant to be played" should be of a red color, not green...
NVidias are usually power hungry and WAY overpriced. An ASUS DirectCU II GTX 670 I found on NextHS goes for as much as 400€, while I could get the same ASUS with an R9 280x for 50 to 100€ less...

I cannot obtain that case from the 2 e-shops mentioned above, never seen the rosewill brand so I doubt they'll ever have it. Plus...I'll be sincere, direct and completely blunt, it looks ugly as shit. Surely looks are not my first thought, but I'd like to have something I can look at and say "well spent money", not some ugly steel thingy with a blue led fan in front of it...
Both Carbide 200r and Bitfenix Shinobi got some looks at least.

Good to know, but I'd like to get feedback from others as well, don't take it bad

Samsung can cost from 30 to 50€ more than OCZ, and also I can't find the 830 on those 2 e-shops, so it's a no-go.

Vynavill

Honorable
Sorry for the bump but....no answers other than nick's?

I know it's a wall of text really, I'd not be happy to read through all of it, but please, I really need some criticism on this. Other than for confirming that what I'm going to buy is going to last for a while (my current one lasted about 4 years, I expect this new one to do the same), it's also a way for me to tell if I'm actually learning something in PC building and not just putting random components together...

AshyCFC

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€296.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€77.91 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€155.35 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€51.47 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (€260.36 @ Amazon Italia)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€116.05 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€98.30 @ Amazon Italia)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€23.81 @ Amazon Italia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (€101.93 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €1182.08
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-01 11:55 CET+0100)

Solution

Vynavill

Honorable

I'm not sure I understand that correctly, I'm sorry...
If your point is "You can buy from United Kingdom", then my answer is I can't. I would've bought from America due to the € / $ currency change being advantageous, but after a bit of calculations, I found out I'd end up paying the same more or less, due to international shipping taxes and such. On the contrary, the € / £ is disadvantageous, so I'd end up spending more for buying less.

It doesn't look bad, but I have some doubts about it.
- I'd be glad to steer out of Windows 8 as much as I can. It's a mobile OS for me, and should've stayed so... I should've also mentioned I don't need an OS in the first place, my bad about that, sorry...
- The NZXT... I must say, I'm tempted to buy it, but I planned to find something decently looking and cheap in price as well, and for now only the 2 cases I mentioned above fit the description, with the Bitfenix taking the first place for now. I'll gladly save those 50€ to get a CPU cooler different than stock.
- Why a 7950? I mean, ok, all R9s up to the 280x are rebrands of the 7000 series, but the 280x is a 7970 rebrand, and I could get an ASUS or a Sapphire for 30€ more of Amazon's price of the 7950...I'm just wondering really.
- OC RAM and 16 GB are quite costy...I don't plan on doing heavy multi-tasking, so I guess 8 GB should fit my needs. If not, I can consider buying 16, but 1600s should be still enough.
- i7 and K versions...literally 30 to 50 € more than their non-k counterparts with hyperthreading enabled...I don't think I really need that. As far as my knowledge goes, i7 are just i5 with hyperthreading enabled, but hey, I might be wrong.

I'll keep waiting for more answers, just in case, but for now, thank you for the build :)

EDIT: I think I'll also post this over the Italian community of Tom's Hardware, which I literally only found out about now. Might help to hear the thoughts of someone from my same country, especially due to the fact PCPartPicker offers only "Amazon Italia" as merchant, and it's definetly not the only one, nor the cheapest.

AshyCFC

Honorable
The reason I went with the 7950 is because PC partpicker cannot find a R9 using the italian merchant setting. I used pcpartpicker primarily because I don't read italian well so it was easier for me to use. I'm sure the italian community can help you best.

Vynavill

Honorable
Oh, I see...
Thought there was some other reason :) I'm also asking help on the Italian forum anyway, getting feedback from 2 sources kinda helps, especially if one is from your own country.

Other than that, I'm slowly modifying my build. An MSI H87-G43 might take the place of the AsRock z87 Pro4, while the Corsair Vengeance Pro might be switched out with a G.Skill Ares, same frequency, same CL, same size.

Also, I'm currently learning that crossfire seems to be advised only in case of a multi-monitor setup. Having a single monitor setup, is it still useful? If not, I can safely switch out that 750w PSU with a lower 650W from XFX. The money saved is going into a better case, namely either the 300R or the CM 690 III, and an SSD from Samsung instead of OCZ (some tips taken from the italian community).

My question about R9 290 remains. If it takes a little time to wait, is it worth to get one for the higher price, considering I'm still going Full-HD?

EDIT: I got this figured out in the italian forum. I got out a nice build myself, but I could've done better it seems. Thanks everyone for your help, I'll name the best answer and take my leave for now :)