I have 260$ to spend on my gaming computer, What should I get?

phil177

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Im new to these forums so sorry if this is in the wrong section.
However i need some help.
Last year I bought a gaming rig.
It has:
i5 3570k @ base clock
asrock pro4-m motherboard
750 watt antec PSU
haf 912
gtx 660 superclocked
8 gbs of RAM g.skill
1 tb hard drive

my case is filled with fans, every free fan slot in it has a fan.
Right now, for christmas I was thinking about getting 4 more gigs of Ram, an H60 cpu cooler, A Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard, and an external hard drive to back up mine.
With these items I can hopefully overclock to 4.4 ghz and have a better motherboard along with more RAM.
Is this a good descision for 250$? Anything other i can get?

Solution
Your current motherboard is capable of overclocking. I agree that if you want to oc, then you will need an aftermarket cpu cooler, but you might want to consider the Cooler Master Hyper 212 (Plus or EVO), although there is nothng wrong with going to an AIO watercooler. I'd keep your current mobo and RAM and look at getting an SSD large enough to transfer your OS and important games/programs to.

animal

Distinguished
Your current motherboard is capable of overclocking. I agree that if you want to oc, then you will need an aftermarket cpu cooler, but you might want to consider the Cooler Master Hyper 212 (Plus or EVO), although there is nothng wrong with going to an AIO watercooler. I'd keep your current mobo and RAM and look at getting an SSD large enough to transfer your OS and important games/programs to.

Solution

phil177

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

People have told me my motherboard cant overclock, so with the new one possibly off the list, how much would REAL watercooling cost? as in with reservoirs/pumps/blocks etc?
How would i put a kit together for that? thanks

animal

Distinguished
a "custom" watercooling set-up gets REAL expensive, real quick. However, if you wnt to check it out for yourself, go to a site that handles watercooling components (such as frozencpu or others) and see what's involved.

phil177

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I found a good watercooling kit, the raystorm RS240, which is 150, so ill use that
I have another 100-110 bucks i can spend, what should i get? im thinking about just getting the motherboard because the one i have now is really ugly
it will also give me a chance to rewire my computer