i5-750 with a 7970 running BF4

MiffedPanda

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Is an i5-750 with a 7970 (or R9 280x) capable of running BF4 at 1080p with decent graphic settings? 40 FPS would be preferable with mid-high details.

Thanks

Solution
i5 will bottleneck higher end cards (like the R9s) because it has fewer threads, and a i3 is even MUCH WORSE. A i3 is a ENTRY LEVEL Cpu, i5 is for moderate work level and gaming, i7 is made for high end performance demands. There is no way to 'get a better deal' by killing off fewer processors or threads and expect the 'same / near' performance, you won't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cj8RP4kEGo @ 2:50 demonstrated the LARGE difference you get between a i5 and i7 on BF4. You really can't run BF4 on i3 because it REQUIRES 4 (Quad) core MINIMUM, and most i3s are commonly just DUAL CORE.

MiffedPanda

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

Would an i3-550 perform around the same? It's a $60 difference for me to get the better CPU, so would that be worth it?

MiffedPanda

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I currently have the i3-550 and have the option to upgrade for $60, would you consider that to be worth it? Running BF4 am I likely to see an improvement in multiplayer?

i5 will bottleneck higher end cards (like the R9s) because it has fewer threads, and a i3 is even MUCH WORSE. A i3 is a ENTRY LEVEL Cpu, i5 is for moderate work level and gaming, i7 is made for high end performance demands. There is no way to 'get a better deal' by killing off fewer processors or threads and expect the 'same / near' performance, you won't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cj8RP4kEGo @ 2:50 demonstrated the LARGE difference you get between a i5 and i7 on BF4. You really can't run BF4 on i3 because it REQUIRES 4 (Quad) core MINIMUM, and most i3s are commonly just DUAL CORE.

Solution
Depending on the review site of your choice, i5s are typically either ahead of any AMD chip in BF4, or just behind. There's a LOT of variance in different sites benchmarks recently. Nevermind BF4 has major performance issues on Windows 7...

But i5's are going to be a LOT better then i3's, especially in MP.