Will the FX-8350 work with my system?

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hey Everyone,

Really looking to upgrade my CPU this holiday season and have my eyes on the AMD FX-8350, specifically: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Will it work with my current setup or is my mobo to dated:

Current System:

-Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
-Crosshair IV Formula Asus Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.21 GHz
-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
-Two Saphire Radeon HD 6950s
-Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System
-XFX 850W Black Edition Single Rail Semi Modular ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX PSU 80Plus Silver
-Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB HDD
-Seagate Barracuda XT 7200 3TB
-AZZA Solano 1000 Case

Thanks Everyone and I appreciate any and all help!

Solution
I use a SSD hard drive for my operating system and games and don't think I could ever go back to using a mechanical hard drive for those things again:)
I went onto pc parts picker and picked you out a Motherboard, AMD FX8320 and a CPU cooler.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/pmSM

The FX8320 was $50 cheaper than the FX8350 which would help pay towards the motherboard and cooler. It comes to $288.78.
I could pick a cheaper motherboard out for you but as you currently have a good quality Asus i thought you would might want another.
Here is a link to the Asus website with the details on the new motherboard

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97/

let me know what you think :)

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Sorry guys but my knowledge towards most of this stuff is dated to non-existent. I have never overclocked or underclocked before and would be worried I would mess something up. I guess I could try and do a BIOS update, I would think that should be fairly simple?

Thanks for the suggestions and I insist to keep the ideas and help coming!

Edit: Would this be the update for the BIOS (Beta Version 3029):

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_IV_FORMULA/#support

jay2577

Honorable
Bios update 3027.
It only says support for the Bulldozer FX CPU's and not Piledriver FX CPU's. I am not sure it would work. As for overclocking it's a simple matter of a multiplier change in the bios and maybe an aftermarket cooler, All AMD FX CPU's come with an unlocked multiplier

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Hey Jay,

Do you think this would be my best option (overclocking)? Or do you think I would be better off either a) going for a different processor b) look into a new mobo, cpu, etc.?

I know someone told me at one point that my PC is super easy to overclock? There is just a button or a switch on the case or something I think. Plus when I load up my PC it says something like "Press .... to unlock Asus Core Unlocker" if that has anytying to do with anything.

Thanks again for all your help and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

jay2577

Honorable
Well I am not sure that the CPU will work and be stable in your current motherboard. You might buy it and have problems because of your motherboard.
Personally I would buy a new motherboard to go with the CPU.
That was part of the reason I suggested buying the FX8320 and overclocking it to the FX8350 speeds because the money you saved could go towards the new motherboard.
The other reason is that I have an AMD FX8320 overclocked to FX8350 speeds and it is VERY easy to do. I recommend an aftermarket cooler for the AMD FX CPU's though as the stock ones are terrible. The Coolermaster Evo 212 is a very popular choice and one I use myself.
Asus core unlocker is for unlocking cores on some Phenom CPU's which have been disabled and not actually for overclocking.
I can guide you through the overclocking if you wish. It's just a matter of going into the bios at start up and changing the CPU multiplier to overclock an FX8320 to FX8350 speeds.
If you tell me what country your in I can recommend a motherboard for you:)

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Wow, thanks for all the help Jay! I live in Canada, specifically the far east coast. I am definitely open to any ideas for upgrades. I just picked up a 120gb SSD and am just all in all looking to make any necessary upgrades to my current three year old system. Figured given black Friday, cyber Monday and then boxing day in a month, now would be the best time to do it.

Feel free to throw as much info and as many suggestions at me as you please.

Thanks again.

jay2577

Honorable
I use a SSD hard drive for my operating system and games and don't think I could ever go back to using a mechanical hard drive for those things again:)
I went onto pc parts picker and picked you out a Motherboard, AMD FX8320 and a CPU cooler.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/pmSM

The FX8320 was $50 cheaper than the FX8350 which would help pay towards the motherboard and cooler. It comes to $288.78.
I could pick a cheaper motherboard out for you but as you currently have a good quality Asus i thought you would might want another.
Here is a link to the Asus website with the details on the new motherboard

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97/

let me know what you think :)

Solution

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hey Jay,

Sorry, I fell asleep earlier as it was a very late night lol. So if I purchase this mobo + CPU + Cooler, everything will work/fit with my current system? Just asking to be sure the cooler will fit in my case (should I double check that I have the same case as listed? I was originally just going off of picture comparison). Also, some people previously mentioned that i had to be selective with mobos since some wouldn't work with my coolit system. Just looking to double check everything.

Thanks again for all your help!

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Well if that isn't my case, it's definitely near identical lol. So you don't think I will need the cooler? Also, I don't know if it is worth mentioning but one of my front fans is broken and has been for a little while. There are two bay areas I guess you could call them at the front of the case, one houses my HDDs and the other is empty. The one that is empty has a broken fan, not sure if this matters or not, just pointing it out.

Thanks again

jay2577

Honorable
You won't need the cooler as you'll be able to use your existing water cooler on the CPU.
The front fans are 140mm in size. A replacement would be possible but it won't effect the system temperature much at all. With water cooling you should be bale to overclock the CPU very easily and by quite a bit:)

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Hey Jay,

Would this be the same motherboard? Just shopping around for different prices. Thanks.

jay2577

Honorable
Hi it's okay for the help:)
Sorry for not replying earlier. Long day at work.
You asked would this be the same motherboard? What did you mean?
The motherboard I recommended was an Asus M5A97.
If your shopping around for different prices does that mean you want a cheaper motherboard?
I could recommend one of you like.

jay2577

Honorable
The CPU and motherboard will last for quite a while. The motherboard has all the newest features including some USB3 ports.
The CPU is an 8 core and a lot of games still only use 4 cores of a CPU. The only games which come to mind that use 8 cores is Battlefield 3&4 and Crysis 2&3.
Next year I guess more and more games will become better multithreaded so will make better use of an 8 core CPU. The reason for this is that the new consoles(Xbox1&PS4) both have 8 core CPU's in them albeit lower powered cores.
I think the system will last for some time:)

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hey Jay,

When I said I was looking for a cheaper price, I was fine with what you gave me, just wanted to make sure I was getting it at a good price. With that being said, I have everything at checkout on Vuugo and it looks like this:

ASUS M5A97: $109
AMD FX-8320: $149.75
Sub-Total: $258.75
Flat Shipping Rate: $6.99
NB HST: $34.55
Total: $300.29

Does that look about right in terms or prices, is $300 an okay price for those two parts?

Lastly, anyone have any experience with Flat Rate Shipping on Vuugo? Just curious on roughly how long it will take and if it's any good. I presume it's standard like 5-8 days?

Thanks again.

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Yes, NB HST is New Brunswick Harmonized Sales Tax and is the taxes I owe as a NB, Canada resident.

I am currently using Vuugo to purchase the parts. The issues with the part picker is the FX-8320 listed is currently sold out on 'TigerDirect Canada'.

jay2577

Honorable
If it was me I would wait until they were in stock on the other place. I am not sure what the pricing is normally like in Canada. I paid £225 for my motherboard and CPU in England.
If your happy to pay it though it's your decision:)
personally i only buy my parts when they are on sale:D

TRENDING THREADS