Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

3-4 Times a day my computer will just randomly reboot itself, normally whilst playing games.

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
December 1, 2013 2:44:18 AM

I recently just built my PC and spent ALOT of money on it I managed to get past every single problem, but whenever im gaming my computer will just randomly with no error message but when it does reboot when it gets back to the desktop it will make the noise of a driver/slot being connected/disconnected. I've check the event log and found this is the error message:


Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 02/12/2013 10:06:01
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Dan
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>3</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-12-02T10:06:01.109743500Z" />
<EventRecordID>1192</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Dan</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>


I have read the Microsoft support thread about this and it hasn't really helped me, so I don't really know where to turn if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

My Spec:
GeForce GTX 770
Intel i5 4670k CPU
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Kit - Intel Haswell (x2 8GB)
Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/120G
MAXIMUS VI HERO - Motherboard
Corsair 750W CXM Builder Modular 80+ Bronze PSU
CD/DVD/Blueray Driver
Seagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive


Many Thanks
December 1, 2013 2:59:57 AM

the error is not helping. just logs that the system wasnt cleanly shutdown.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:02:51 AM

since the errors occur while gaming it's probably the gpu at fault. or memory or cpu (in this order).

try to switch to the onboard gpu for a while to see if things improve. if they do it's the gpu at fault, if not one of the others.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 1, 2013 3:04:59 AM

temps, at idle and load,
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:09:38 AM

13thmonkey said:
temps, at idle and load,
the GPU temp at idle is 36 degrees and whilst playing assassin creed goes up to 79 degrees, but if im play League of legends it barely goes above 50 degrees but still does it then

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:11:58 AM

laviniuc said:
since the errors occur while gaming it's probably the gpu at fault. or memory or cpu (in this order).

try to switch to the onboard gpu for a while to see if things improve. if they do it's the gpu at fault, if not one of the others.
im not sure how to do that with my bios, its a completely new one to me, Asus bios is hard for me to navigate, any ideas?

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:13:51 AM

13thmonkey said:
cpu temp?
it has 4 different cores according to HWmonitor and they range from 30 degrees at idle to 35, while gaming the highest they reach is 50

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:16:56 AM

ok, so the basics are fine. uninstall and reinstall gpu drivers, latest ones from nvidia. did you install the mobo drivers when you built it?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:17:33 AM

it's not in the bios. you can just disable it from the device manager. just connect your monitor to the onboard one first and make sure you get a signal on that one.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:20:15 AM

13thmonkey said:
ok, so the basics are fine. uninstall and reinstall gpu drivers, latest ones from nvidia. did you install the mobo drivers when you built it?
okay, I have the latest nvidia driver at the moment did you want me to try to uninstall that a do it again? and yes I installed all drivers for the motherboard there was

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:30:08 AM

laviniuc said:
it's not in the bios. you can just disable it from the device manager. just connect your monitor to the onboard one first and make sure you get a signal on that one.


I have just had a look by opening it up but cannot seem to see a on-board gpu, just read up on my motherboard and it doesn't seem to have one?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:32:12 AM

there's an hdmi output on the backplate of the mobo. almost all 1155 cpu-s have a built in graphics.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:37:49 AM

laviniuc said:
there's an hdmi output on the backplate of the mobo. almost all 1155 cpu-s have a built in graphics.


Oh yes i just tried it and it doesn't give a signal from my monitor :L
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:39:17 AM

bios setting to enable it (init display first)
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:52:28 AM

laviniuc said:
bios setting to enable it (init display first)

yeah i tried it but it kept freezing my pc when i disabled it and rebooted

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 3:55:06 AM

try to actually unplug the gpu from the case if you can. make sure to remember which cables need to be plugged back in for when you add it back
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 4:10:12 AM

laviniuc said:
try to actually unplug the gpu from the case if you can. make sure to remember which cables need to be plugged back in for when you add it back

i tried the hdmi thing again but put it back to normal but now my pc keeps freezing and making a disc screeching sound, but no disc inside :S
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 4:15:03 AM

is anything blocking any of the fans?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 4:17:36 AM

laviniuc said:
is anything blocking any of the fans?


nothing seems to be i've tucked them away neatly all seem spinning without any trouble, well to be honest since i made the comment it has stopped making the noise :p 
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 4:25:48 AM

i have 2 things i worry about:
-"and whilst playing assassin creed goes up to 79 degrees," that;s a bit too much for a nvidia gpu
-based on the screeching sound i think one of your fans (psu, cpu, case, gpu) is clogged.

i think the problem is either cpu or gpu or psu.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 4:31:06 AM

laviniuc said:
i have 2 things i worry about:
-"and whilst playing assassin creed goes up to 79 degrees," that;s a bit too much for a nvidia gpu
-based on the screeching sound i think one of your fans (psu, cpu, case, gpu) is clogged.

i think the problem is either cpu or gpu or psu.


no its not, they are good to 100 before throttling, there is no thermal issue if the reported 79C was peak.

well the problem with cpu, cpu or psu, leaves only memory or HDD.

OP where is your pagefile? is it on your SSD? how much space is left on it? I had issues with pagefile on early SSD's
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 4:35:05 AM

laviniuc said:
i have 2 things i worry about:
-"and whilst playing assassin creed goes up to 79 degrees," that;s a bit too much for a nvidia gpu
-based on the screeching sound i think one of your fans (psu, cpu, case, gpu) is clogged.

i think the problem is either cpu or gpu or psu.


13thmonkey said:
laviniuc said:
i have 2 things i worry about:
-"and whilst playing assassin creed goes up to 79 degrees," that;s a bit too much for a nvidia gpu
-based on the screeching sound i think one of your fans (psu, cpu, case, gpu) is clogged.

i think the problem is either cpu or gpu or psu.


no its not, they are good to 100 before throttling, there is no thermal issue if the reported 79C was peak.

well the problem with cpu, cpu or psu, leaves only memory or HDD.

OP where is your pagefile? is it on your SSD? how much space is left on it? I had issues with pagefile on early SSD's

I have 56.5GB out of 111GB left on my SSD
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:07:18 AM

and where is your pagefile?

Try running it on one stick of ram, and then the other?

Is it predictable?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:17:41 AM

13thmonkey said:
and where is your pagefile?

Try running it on one stick of ram, and then the other?

Is it predictable?


My pagefile is on my C drive which is my SSD (i think)
and how do i just run it on the one stick of RAM? and what do you mean by predictable?

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:26:24 AM

remove 1 stick of ram.
move your page file to your HDD.
does the fault always happen after a certain amount of time, (+/- 1-2 minutes) or is it random and doesn't always happen?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:29:34 AM

13thmonkey said:
remove 1 stick of ram.
move your page file to your HDD.
does the fault always happen after a certain amount of time, (+/- 1-2 minutes) or is it random and doesn't always happen?

Sometimes I can play 30 seconds of a game and it will reboot or i can play for hours and it won't reboot and sometimes it will just go after a couple of hours, so its just random. I'll try removing one stick of ram and putting the paging file on the HDD, will I have to move the OS as well or leave it on the SSD?

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:35:38 AM

OS is fine, start menu - view advanced settings - advanced - performance - advanced - change... remove it from your c: and put it on the D: (or whatever your HDD is called).

Given the randomness of the fault it is not thermal, thermal would be more predictable. But that does fit with a memory issue.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:41:26 AM

13thmonkey said:
OS is fine, start menu - view advanced settings - advanced - performance - advanced - change... remove it from your c: and put it on the D: (or whatever your HDD is called).

Given the randomness of the fault it is not thermal, thermal would be more predictable. But that does fit with a memory issue.

ah okay, i've moved the page file to my HDD and restarted and taken out one stick of RAM, want me to try playing games now or?
C: None (SDD)
E: System Managed (HDD)
F: None (System Reserved) this is what the paging virtual memory looks like now
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:45:46 AM

yep, play and see what happens, its a pain because its random, but try it for a long time, and then try the other stick. if it is memory 1 stick should fail. you could run memtest from a dos boot disk.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 5:48:40 AM

13thmonkey said:
yep, play and see what happens, its a pain because its random, but try it for a long time, and then try the other stick. if it is memory 1 stick should fail. you could run memtest from a dos boot disk.


Alright will do, thanks for you help/time :)  assuming i've done the page file correct ^^ I'll give it ago and if it happens again I will report back Thanks! :D 
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 6:03:17 AM

13thmonkey said:
yep, play and see what happens, its a pain because its random, but try it for a long time, and then try the other stick. if it is memory 1 stick should fail. you could run memtest from a dos boot disk.


yeah i was playing assassins creed for about 5mins and the screen went blank the rear fan sped up like really fast and then it rebooted? :s

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 7:23:28 AM

ok, does it do it with the other stick?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 7:24:29 AM

13thmonkey said:
ok, does it do it with the other stick?

it wont start with the other stick comes up with an error code 53 on my motherboard
i even tried swapping the sticks around to put them in eachothers places and it did the same thing, not start


m
0
l
December 1, 2013 7:36:55 AM

check in bios to stop dual channel memory. That's all quite odd. So you have tried each stick in each slot? some slots might need to be occupied in order to boot, depends on mobo.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 7:51:50 AM

13thmonkey said:
check in bios to stop dual channel memory. That's all quite odd. So you have tried each stick in each slot? some slots might need to be occupied in order to boot, depends on mobo.


Yeah i have just tried them both in black slots and still didnt boot, but one weird thing is i looked on the BIOS and saw the cards plugged in visually and it showed me the GPU plugged in the 1st PCI slot and the 2nd PCI slot was empty (Which is fine), then i looked at the DDRM slots and i have the 1st RAM stick in the 1st Slot and the 3rd (red) but on the diagram is was showing like this
Slot 1 - N/A
Slot 2 - N/A
Slot 3 - (The card picture and numbers to showed it was seeing it)
Slot 4 - N/A

so what's up with the 1st slot?? :S

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 8:04:02 AM

13thmonkey said:
should be red 1 (A1) with only a single stick. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-... page 1-9
does a1 not work?

Are your memory settings on auto?



yeah my slots are the same as Diagram 2, with the 2 in red, but on the bios settings diagram it was saying N/A in that slot but it says i have 16GB of RAM so im not sure, and i think they are on auto settings


m
0
l
December 1, 2013 8:08:57 AM

no obstruction, no dust in A1?
memtest on both sticks will confirm, both sticks to get it running, both sticks to be tested, it will take a long long time to run.
it sounds like you have a faulty mobo.
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 8:11:22 AM

13thmonkey said:
no obstruction, no dust in A1?
memtest on both sticks will confirm, both sticks to get it running, both sticks to be tested, it will take a long long time to run.
it sounds like you have a faulty mobo.


what memtest should i use?, what :(  I only got it like 2 weeks ago


m
0
l
December 1, 2013 8:21:59 AM

most of the time pc components fail in the first month of usage (manufacturing defects show themselves) or after 3-4 years (once wear and tear kicks in)
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 8:22:39 AM

any memtest will do. use one written to a cd or flash thumb drive
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 10:26:04 AM

laviniuc said:
any memtest will do. use one written to a cd or flash thumb drive


i did 2 passes and no errors found so im not sure what that means

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 10:30:46 AM

Dan_Coops said:
laviniuc said:
any memtest will do. use one written to a cd or flash thumb drive


i did 2 passes and no errors found so im not sure what that means



with both sticks?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 10:35:28 AM

13thmonkey said:
Dan_Coops said:
laviniuc said:
any memtest will do. use one written to a cd or flash thumb drive


i did 2 passes and no errors found so im not sure what that means



with both sticks?


i thought it was doing both sticks?

m
0
l
December 1, 2013 10:58:41 AM

if they are installed then it used both. This should take many hours though, for 16GB i'd say 12 hours minimum, is there a detailed setting that you have missed?
m
0
l
December 1, 2013 11:00:20 AM

13thmonkey said:
if they are installed then it used both. This should take many hours though, for 16GB i'd say 12 hours minimum, is there a detailed setting that you have missed?

Yeah both were installed and it did 2 passes and it said it was complete and can press esc to exit?
m
0
l
!