December 1, 2013 7:50:35 AM

Hi

Could anyone help? I have a strange problem. My equipment details are:

Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP UD3P
RAM Corsair 8gb 2x4gb DDR31600
Case Antec Titan 550
CPU Core i3 2120
PSU Enermax 600w EG701AX-VE(W)

I had a Saphire 6950 2gb and upgraded to the MSI 7950 TWIN FROZR III OC with Boost 3gb and found that the card was unstable with strange problems when the case was in the normal vertical position. When flat (hortizontal), it runs perfectly (crysis/kombustor) with temps around 55C. I have checked the seating, re-inserted the card, made sure it was screwed in fully. I guess the card is quite heavy, and must be pulling on something in that position. I just can't figure out what it could be.
The strange problems on vertical are: After 3d gaming test or Kombustor test (5min) screen goes black and monitor states outside optimal resolution. Then win 8 reboots. After reboot, and after login screen in windows, vertical multi-coloured lines appear. After reboot again, it's fine, but goes funny again on 3d gaming.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am happy to run it with case horizontal but it gets in the way a lot.

Thanks

inb7950
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2013 7:54:54 AM

Two steps you should try:

1) Check temps, in vertical position the heat may not be making it out of the case and causing issues.
2) Make sure nothing (loose cables) are getting into the fan(s) and slowing/stopping/breaking them.

The likely scenario is 1. However, as you already think, it could also be that the card is not seating fully when standing. Let us know your temps and we can likely narrow it down further for you.
m
l
December 1, 2013 8:06:48 AM

akensai said:
Two steps you should try:

1) Check temps, in vertical position the heat may not be making it out of the case and causing issues.
2) Make sure nothing (loose cables) are getting into the fan(s) and slowing/stopping/breaking them.

The likely scenario is 1. However, as you already think, it could also be that the card is not seating fully when standing. Let us know your temps and we can likely narrow it down further for you.

Hi - thanks for the quick reply. I am glad I am thinking along the correct lines.
Yes I did check the fans, all spinning. No major temp differences (60C vertical vs 55C horizontal). I stumbled on the horizontal stability by chance, after upgrading drivers and re-seating the card, it seemed fine on kombustor/crysis, and then when I closed it up and put it vertical, it all went wrong again. But then stable again hortizontal. I did also notice when I banged my knee on the (verticle) case by mistake, screen went black, so it must be some seating problem. I doesn't feel loose when I pull on it. In fact I can't really move it at all when I prod it, it's just the pcb that flexes a little. Very strange.

inb7950

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2013 8:08:20 AM

May seem like a silly suggestion, but have you checked to make sure the video cables are all connected securely? Slightly moving the case and screen going black really makes me think something is just loose on the cable end.
m
l
Related resources
!