120 SSD + 2TB or 250 SSD?

Prseto

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hey im not sure what to go with. I am thinking of a 120 GB SSD with a 2 TB, OR just a 250 gd SSD. Both will cost me around the same, but im wondering what would be optimal or faster?

I want to install the OS and Guild wars 2 (a big MMO) onto the SSD as GW2 will benefit a lot from the loading times. Maybe max 3-5 games on it that are smaller than that. I may do a bit of editing also but not so much.

I would prefer not to run out of space, and then have to get a external HD.

Solution
You can use a 250GB a tremendous amount and it will last longer than you will want to use it. I would guess that Samsung EVO 250GB SSDs will do way over several hundred TB before they wear out.

My very first SSDs, a pair of old Intel X25M 80GB both have over 200TB writes to each (they are used now as Adobe scratch drives) and the Intel Toolbox still shows 100% life for them. My current OS drive has over 6TB of NAND writes since the first of the year and I expect that it will easily hit over 200TB, so I have 30 more years at current use rates, which is pretty heavy as I do lots of downloads and file decompression.

If performance starts to slow from too many uncompressed (video) files then you just do a secure erase after cloning...
well know an ssd isn't actually the size of it's advertised size. they HATE to be filled up, so a 120gb ssd is really a 100-110gb ssd. the 240 is really a 220 or so... i mean you CAN fill them up, you just don't want to... it really messes with them.

If you can afford the larger SSD now i'd get it. and then get a 1tb or larger hard drive down the road when you have a few dollars to kick around.

RealBeast

Titan
Once SSDs get past 80% or so full they generally don't perform as well. I would recommend a 250GB as prices have really come down on them (I bought a Samsung 840 EVO for $140 on Friday no rebates or anything, and there were deals even lower if you wanted to endure a rebate). The larger drive will also perform a bit better than a 120GB in most cases, although not apparent in every day use.

Prseto

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Thanks both of you i have decided to go with 250 GB, just one thing - i have been told SSD's don't like being used over and over, as in if i am to sys restore my comp or clean the SSD and use it again it won't work? Is this true?

RealBeast

Titan
You can use a 250GB a tremendous amount and it will last longer than you will want to use it. I would guess that Samsung EVO 250GB SSDs will do way over several hundred TB before they wear out.

My very first SSDs, a pair of old Intel X25M 80GB both have over 200TB writes to each (they are used now as Adobe scratch drives) and the Intel Toolbox still shows 100% life for them. My current OS drive has over 6TB of NAND writes since the first of the year and I expect that it will easily hit over 200TB, so I have 30 more years at current use rates, which is pretty heavy as I do lots of downloads and file decompression.

If performance starts to slow from too many uncompressed (video) files then you just do a secure erase after cloning your drive to something else and then clone it back and you will be back up to full performance.

Solution

Prseto

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Okay then thanks, so I guess the best thing to do would be when the SSD starts getting near the 200 GB mark, back up the data then wipe it. I am actually now going to do the 120 GB+ 2 TB HDD and use few games on my SSD.