~1000$ (CAD) PC gaming rig, specific questions about multiple components (RAM, GPU, CPU)

Corrupted-Sanity

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I found the template thread so I'll just use that. Should make it easier to organize my thoughts, because I'm getting a little confused with the various parts. I'm new at this, never built a computer before.
EDIT: And I suppose I should specify that I'm looking for suggestions on what parts to use. I have no idea what to look for in things like the power supply, hard drive, motherboard and the... Uhh, part where you put disks into in a finished computer, the name of which I do not know.

I have a few ideas on what parts I might use, which I guess I'll list at the bottom.

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably in the next week (I'm hoping I might catch some sales with cyber monday and all that)

Budget Range: 800-1000$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, I might watch a movie or something occasionally

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I was looking at the local Futureshop sites, but it looks like sites like Newegg.ca and Amazon.ca have better prices for some things.

Parts Preferences: Nothing in particular. I've been looking at Intel CPUs and the Nvidia graphics cards the most since their numbering systems have been easier to understand than AMD's.

Overclocking: Probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know if I understand this - is it being able to have multiple graphics cards? If so, probably not.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1366x768

Additional Comments: I'd like to be able to run things on high/highish graphics, but I certainly don't need ultra-powerful everything. I've heard that noise level of the parts is important to some people; I don't really care as long as it's not screeching and drowning everything out.
I do play RTS games quite a bit and was told that the CPU would be fairly important for that, but everything I've read seems to agree that the graphics card is the biggest thing.
Having it last for a few years would be nice, and I'd be willing to pay a little bit more if something will be usable longer.

For the CPU, I've been looking at the Intel Core i5-4670 Quad-core 3.4GHz Desktop Processor (I think there's another version with a k at the end, and I'm not sure what the difference there is)
and the Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155
I also want to know about fans - do they come with them? And if not, how powerful a fan would I need since I'm not planning any overclocking?

With the GPU, I was looking at some GTX things - the GeForce GTX 760 PCI-E 2GB DDR5 Video Card (sold out on that site, and unfortunately seems quite a bit more costly everywhere else) and GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card
I'm a little confused by a couple things related to them though - does the PCI-E stuff matter? And it seems like different companies are making the same card or something? I'm seeing Zotac GTX cards, Asus GTX cards...

For RAM sticks, is there much difference between different companies (Kingston, Ripjaws and Corsair are what I see the most)? And what about between a single 8GB stick (like this) or 2x4 GB sticks (like these)?

Praise_Gaben

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Since your not going to overclock, the stock fan will do fine. And yes all cpu's come with stock fans. PCI-E doesn't really matter, especially if you buy the motherboard and graphics card brand new. And yeah there are different companies that make the graphics cards, just avoid the ultra cheap ones and you'll be fine. The ones with 2 coolers are usually better than the ones with one small fan. And with ram, just go with Kingston or Corsair, although cheaper ram sticks will also do fine. There is probably just a small quality difference but it really doesnt matter that much. I would just buy 2x4 RAM.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished
Here is a build that I recommend.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2cTGw

And the 4670 is better than the 3350p because the 4670 uses the newer socket (means it gets though more info in 1 sec) and is newer that means it will have better driver support. And they do come with a CPU fan.

The card you picked is a decent card, its the same one that i picked for my friend with his $900 build. And all modern graphics cards all use the same plug/socket thing, Its call a PCI-E x16 (E stands for express. And the x16 is how big the port is.).
And the brands are who manufactures the cards and put fans on it. Going with the best brand means that it will probably run cooler and last longer. Might even have a better performance than some junk brands.
EVGA is the best brand for Nvidia cards, and Sapphire is the best brand for AMD/ATI cards.

And i don't think RAM matters that much but don't get some crap brand RAM, or you are probably going to experience issues with the system. But Corsair, Crucial, G.skill, and Kingston are all good RAM brands.

With a GTX 760, you will be able to run most games on high without a problem.

Other tips:
Do no go with AMD CPU's. "What you think you are paying for with AMD, you are not actually getting" -SnakeGTX
They are just not optimized, and even a Intel 2 core can beat a AMD 8 core on modern games.
And why i choosed Windows 8 is because you get a huge performance boost just using it. But if you don't like Windows 8 (like me) then just get a copy of Windows 7 (it has to be 64bit).

Hoped this helped.
-Snake

Check out this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.75 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.69 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($154.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.79 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $857.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-01 16:08 EST-0500)

Very good CPU for no-overclockers (Any new i5 like i5-4440, i5-4570, i5-4670 will do so you should look for good prices);
Z87 motherboard at bargain price.
Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition at great price. Great performance at 1366x768. Very good for 1080p.
Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 for better performance than 1 x 8GB.

imho at your price range you should consider a SSD. I dont think you need a better video card for 1366x768.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.67 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($258.89 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $979.04
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-01 16:16 EST-0500)

Solid system and should work well for your needs.

Corrupted-Sanity

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Whoa, thanks a lot everyone. I hadn't even seen that PCPartPicker site before.

I'm still looking a little bit at the different parts you all recommended - but one thing I noticed on filippi's list there was something about the RAM sticks exceeding the recommended operating voltage - does that mean much?

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

As long as it is either above or at the voltage it'll be fine.

Executeorder66

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I'm in Calgary to bro lol use memory express as they'll beat any retailer/etailers price by 10% of the difference!
Also that razor dude above always suggests awesome builds! I'll be buying a build based off his suggestions in these threads and you should seriously consider his ;)

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Here's one closer to your budget, I think there was a sale on some parts which must have ended. Here's the new build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.75 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($258.89 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $867.36
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-02 07:36 EST-0500)

Corrupted-Sanity

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Yeah, there were a number of sales yesterday. Some with rebates on top of that, so I saved a some cash and bought a few things yesterday - motherboard was half the normal price. The i5-4570 looks really good for the processor (plus there are some sales about) so I'll probably go with that.

I'm actually not sure if I need a case, I have one from an old gaming computer that broke, but I don't know if I can take the old stuff out or if it's nailed in.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Nailed in o_O

Should be able to unscrew it ;)